Used RC lipo?

Skalabala

1 kW
Hi members :)

I was wondering if I can buy used/"broken" RC lipo batteries from wherever I can find them locally.

If I buy lets say a few 6S1P 8000mah then I can strip them and test the cells?

In my mind it should work fair because I think I will not discharge them close to the C rating they were made for.

That's not something I'd do, and I'm frugal. The reason is that there's no way to get a well matched pack that way and they'll get out of whack all the time and be a real pain to balance. I'm assuming you're talking about RC Lipo packs. If you're talking about much safer packs for cordless tools, then they're fairly easy to week out the dud cells and match capacity of the better cells. I made a bunch of packs that way, mostly using toolpacks from DrBass that he could verify had less than 100 cycles.

If someone was giving them away, and you had a real need for a pack you can spend lots of time building and maintaining, then sure.

But if you don't wanna spend the time, or they cost much at all, you'd be better off getting new ones, since you don't know waht the old ones went thru (doesn't matter what they tell you, they might be forgetting something, leaving it out, etc).

You might get lucky, and have no problems once the bad cells are taken out. Or you might just be seeing the beginning of a nightmare. ;)

I've had a small number of donated packs with one or more problem cells, sometimes at 0V, swollen, etc. Some worked ok after removing the bad cell (and either leaving it out or replacing with a good cell from another pack of the same set), and some jjust kept having problems.

(I've kept all of them bad or good, so that eventually I can use the failed ones all at once to do a fire test inside a specially vented ammocan; I almost have enough to be worth trying it in the next year or so).

I suppose Lipo is dangerous :shock:
What if I get a job lot of the same packs? I will be aiming for RC plane packs

The main thing is that in a warm climate, they drop off in capacity badly at about 2 years old. This can even happen if they were stored warm, and never used much.

But as long as they are not puffing, or full of dings and dents, they can still be usable up to 4 years old. It's just that they suck by then. They tend to have about half capacity by then, and can only handle a very very low c rate, like .5c. Any faster draw on them, they don't even put out half capacity. Also, they will take about 4v of charge, and after that they seem to just sit there on the charger for an eternity, not getting any more into them. They can still get more or less fully charged, but it will take forever. I'm not too sure you get the benefit of it, charging them full either.

So if you need is something were too heavy, and needing to use a ton of it at a time is the goal, it could be worth it if you have a big supply super cheap, ideally, free. But to carry old shitty stuff on the bike is no fun. Do that only if you have no other choice, and are desperate to add just a few more wh to your pack.

I run incredibly old and sucky lipo on my mower. With enough ah, it still works fine for that. I just charge them till I see the rate of charge slow a lot, and then pull them off to mow. Screw waiting for a full charge. This season, mowing with some 5 year old packs.

what do you mean with broken? :roll:
If you buy used lipos you should at least buy them from the same user, you should have same brand/manufactured date/life span

if you match different lipos with different brands/cycles, even if they are the same capacity, you won't really save money at the end. The battery will be as good as the worst pack.

Are you going to use a BMS?

I would like to get a job lot of the same pack at the same person.
By broken I mean that one cell is bad and other around 90% good :)

If you can't afford new ones, If the broken ones are not 2-3 years old stored hot, If you have time to spare, if you have a place to store them safe.

Then ok. Something is better than nothing.

But more likely they are going to be high internal resistance cells that suck. So don't do it for a high performance bike or moto.

Even if still above 80% capacity at 2c rate of discharge, they still will be very likely to be a high maintenance pack, that needs balancing every single cycle. So think about chargers that do that easily, like the thunder 12s charger.

dogman dan said:
If you can't afford new ones, If the broken ones are not 2-3 years old stored hot, If you have time to spare, if you have a place to store them safe.

Then ok. Something is better than nothing.

But more likely they are going to be high internal resistance cells that suck. So don't do it for a high performance bike or moto.

Even if still above 80% capacity at 2c rate of discharge, they still will be very likely to be a high maintenance pack, that needs balancing every single cycle. So think about chargers that do that easily, like the thunder 12s charger.

Good info thanks! So if I get used ones then they must be still working like new.
Otherwise I can make a pack the the laptop cells I have :?

Skalabala said:

Shipping will probably suck, yes.

As for the batteries... that sounds like a pretty poor cell.

... They have a high internal resistance (thats bad), normally wont last past 60 full high-discharge cycles and may become puffy over time.

B-grade packs are sold as is and no warranty is implied or given

I wouldn't pay money for that.

Avoid like the plague. If you pay money to hobby king, at least get the 20c rated packs. Lots of people on this forum run those, using the 4s hard packs.

The call them 20c, but best used at no more than 3c. 10-15 ah of it is good. 15 ah for a 40 amps controller.

If you are building a performance bike, then look for 40c rate packs, or better.

I can get a bunch of packs at less than $3 a pack 5s and 3s packs
Internal resistance is around 25-30mohm
Is the internal resistance in a dangerous position?

Back