Using 4 Milwaukee 9ah (162wh) Batteries to power Ebike?

Hello Guys,

I scored a deal on them batteries about $60 each. I wanted to keep the batteries as they are, since I have Milwaukee tools.

My controller is a 36 volt controller.

Video to the bike: https://youtu.be/QGcjApXKA4k

Battery specs:
18 volts (fully charged they sit around 21 volts)
9Ah
162Wh
lg hg2 3000 mah 20amp discharge 15 cells.

Which way would be best to hook them up? I would be using the Milwaukee battery charger and the BMS inside the battery pack.

Attachments

• controller.jpg
    controller.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7,812
2 in series by 2 in parallel for 36V controller. Will provide a max charge of 42V. Assuming each pack is 5s3p, that will provide a 10s6p battery pack.

wesnewell said:
2 in series by 2 in parallel for 36V controller. Will provide a max charge of 42V. Assuming each pack is 5s3p, that will provide a 10s6p battery pack.

What will be the max amp draw? Any ideas if the Battery management system will work? Is this a good setup?

If each battery can do 20A max, then 2 strings in parallel can do 40A. But I wouldn't run 40A continuous, because the connections would probably overheat and also drop a lot of voltage, and you have a lot of high resistance spring connections. I would keep it under 20A continuous.

Yep 40a should be a reasonably assumption for the cells in good shape. Dependant on connections and maybe bms. Idk if bms does anything other than charge function, but some googling might turn up a tear-down and in depth review, along with draw tests etc. They might have good ideas on how to combine/integrate the packs too. I think ES user skeetab might be a vendor for milwaulkee- he might know something?

It looks like a good setup imo, and for the price too, considering dual purpose protected packs, possibly w/ warranty. Getting them mounted might be tricky- it'd be nice to have the female part of the tool for each one if you want to keep battery stock and removable for use in tools as well.
Also only one charger will be a task to charge with, and all batteries should be same SOC to reconnect on bike. My pack has female terminals that I was able to use a 'blade' shaped male terminals to connect. I just manually insert + and -.
With a bunch of packs that I occasionally wanted to use in tools as well, hopefully a similar connection could be made, and that you could also use a 40-42v cc/cv to charge them in bulk and on the bike when not needed for tools.

Also, you asked about the battery box in your other thread I think? What is the intention, do you just want an new box, a larger one, or complete battery offerings in that formfactor?

I use two 36v lawn mower batteries on my 250w xiongda in parallel,charge separate with there own chargers. Only hook them together when they are the same voltage. I made adapters for them using plastic kitchen chopping boards.
99c1e551d612e0c4224ebd914c4102e0.jpg
4b65e28e20891739e6d0872b033b05a6.jpg
eacb782016cbd6d819457362d1ec5c3b.jpg
b80278088a175ff2f610c4bbf0db59bd.jpg
wooden prototype
628997d6f5472e5ee37bf686ec8792e4.jpg
See small battery bargain thread on pedelecs forum for more info.

nutspecial said:
Also, you asked about the battery box in your other thread I think? What is the intention, do you just want an new box, a larger one, or complete battery offerings in that formfactor?

I want to get a new battery box/case so I can try to fit the Milwaukee batteries in them and do some test fitting. My present battery box is falling apart. I don't want to take it apart and render it useless.

Jon NCal said:
If each battery can do 20A max, then 2 strings in parallel can do 40A. But I wouldn't run 40A continuous, because the connections would probably overheat and also drop a lot of voltage, and you have a lot of high resistance spring connections. I would keep it under 20A continuous.

Well what would be best, can anyone suggest some options?

Someone suggested:

2 series 2 parallel to make 42v 18 amp and try a 36v hub motor and controller.

2 series 2 parallel should be fine for your motor.Put drill batteries in bag/box/panniers,it will be a pain taking the drill batteries out of the original battery box for charging.

https://youtu.be/QGcjApXKA4k

Link to the video. I am still trying to figure out what motor that is any ideas? I can go throttle only and it has assist. How can I know if it has regen?

and what would be the run time on throttle only with 4 batteries (two series, two parallel) any est?

thanks.

Some people were purchasing cordless flashlights to get a clip in connector, then cutting off the flashlight part and re-wiring for the connection to the controller. This will not be cheap if you need four of them though.
Here is a link to a video where a guy made a wooden box with built in connectors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBDbKbOj9w

You can buy the clips with the wires coming out from Milwaukee. I forget the part number, but I have bought several of them way back in the day. I think they call them test clips or something like that.

Edirtbike said:
Some people were purchasing cordless flashlights to get a clip in connector, then cutting off the flashlight part and re-wiring for the connection to the controller. This will not be cheap if you need four of them though.
Here is a link to a video where a guy made a wooden box with built in connectors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izBDbKbOj9w

Like this guy here : [youtube]Ika9o20Vw_o[/youtube]

I’m working on a plan to fit a modified Milwaukee M18 6-pack charger bank as a power supply on a RAZOR MX500 motorcycle with dual 800watt motors through the available 48V-60V controller. My plan involves using the housing of the charger to support batteries on the bike but wired 2 banks parallel of 3 batteries wired in series to make 54 volts. My concern is the M18 batteries in series. Does anyone here have experience with these Red Lithium batteries wired in series?

Attachments

• D12CB791-BBC1-4788-8A5B-3591FDFAA987.jpeg
    D12CB791-BBC1-4788-8A5B-3591FDFAA987.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 7,041
Back