Using the same throttle to power a hub & mid drive motor

fabieville

100 W
I'm building an ebike that will use both a hub motor and a mid drive motor and I will switch between the motors base upon the terrain on the road. When i want max speed and I'm on the flat I will use the hub motor and when I reach a steep hill I will use the mid drive motor to be able to climb the hill easier with lots of torque.

Is it possible to use the same thumb throttle to power the hub brushless motor or the mid drive brush motor?

If it is possible please tell me how to hook it up.

seriously, use two throttles.
This gives you more options. (like, using both motors at the same time which basically gives you twice as much power)
New throttles can be had online starting at $10 in the usa. (twist grip)
The type I use (thumb throttles all) sell for ~$20 with or without voltage indicator.

so i should use two throttles on the right side of the bike or one on each side? isn't that a bit awkward either way you should?

I have a similar setup with a Nine C hub motor in the rear and a Cyclone 1200W kit in the middle and it works a treat with a full twist controlling the hub motor on the right bar and a thumb throttle on the left bar controlling the Cyclone. Both have their own controller and are powered from the same 20ah lipo/lifepo4 hybrid pack.

For me this is the only way that makes sense. Having one throttle do both would be overly complex and the end result would be a compromise. Having 2 throttles means you can select either motor or both. Peak power from my setup is 3.5kw and it demolishes hills.

If you are going to the trouble of setting up and carrying the weight of two systems, make the most of them and get a second throttle. I chose a thumb throttle on the left because i didn't want to have to twist forwards on the left with a full or half twist. TBH i could probably have gorton away with a switch on the left because when i use the cyclone its only as a helper motor going up steep hills in my area and i just gun it so it only ever sees 0% or 100% never in between.

[/url]http://www.amazon.com/VicTec-Motor-Speed-Control-Controller/dp/B00K4W4FQO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430857811&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=current+limitor+for+dc+motor+24+volts sorry just saw that on amazon...... hill etc... and man good luck on this build.

People have used one throttle with two controllers by putting the guts from two separate throttles into one. The electronic bit is only a tiny bead like thing.

fabieville said:
so i should use two throttles on the right side of the bike or one on each side? isn't that a bit awkward either way you should?
I have three trikes, each done a different way so I personally am of the opinion it just. doesn't. matter.
The trike with two thumb throttles on the right -hand side was done this way:
dualing throttles.jpg

The other trikes use:
right-hand half-twist: left-hand thumb
and
right and left hand thumb

friendly1uk said:
People have used one throttle with two controllers by putting the guts from two separate throttles into one. The electronic bit is only a tiny bead like thing.
I've done this with two matched motors, but I disliked how the power was distributed at (critical) times, like... turning corners. Also one throttle for a dual motor-driven trailer, which strangely enough, worked ok.
Op has two different motor/controllers and, although it would functionality work to use one throttle, it surely won't ever share the load---. + op loses the ability to only use one motor at a time (which I do on flats. I use both motors on steep grades or from a dead stop)

You can probably use the one throttle to drive two controllers. Both controllers need to be powered by the same battery. If not, you need to tie the two battery black wires together. Then, you you need to join a second wire to the throttle signal wire, which is normally white, but whatever colour it is, it's the one that isn't red or black. You then run that wire to the throttle signal wire on the second controller. You don't need to connect the red and black to the second controller, in fact you must not connect the red.

You should use at least one brake switch too. The controllers normally have two-wire brake connectors, of which one is black and the other another colour. You can double them up to go to each controller, but they must go black to black on each controller.

To drive the motors one at a time with one throttle will be pretty easy.

Put a three position switch on the throttle return signal. left runs one motor, right run the other, middle would be off to both.

Because the motors are so different, running both at once I'd want to do with dual throttles. I would think you could stack a thumb throttle on the inside, and use a half twist on the outside fairly easy.

Ideally, find a left hand throttle for one of them.

Last option, one motor, such as the hub, could be run more as an on off mode. You could have a doorbell or horn button control it. The power the horn button applies could be adjusted several ways. Remote throttle with cable control, or an adjustable pot, or a three speed switch.

See what I mean, you'd have a throttle on the mid drive, but then just jab a button to get a short burst of power from the hub motor as needed.

dogman dan said:
Last option, one motor, such as the hub, could be run more as an on off mode. You could have a doorbell or horn button control it. The power the horn button applies could be adjusted several ways. Remote throttle with cable control, or an adjustable pot, or a three speed switch.

interjecting info:
caveat: I don't know about 'every' controller ever made.
If you use a switch be sure to limit the voltage going to the controller to about 4.3V because: some controllers will shut off the motor if it sees the full source voltage of 5V. This is a safety beature.

---on dual-motor driven bikes/trikes...
one of my favorite methods: I used a pedalec sensor for one motor and a throttle or switch for the other motor. The switched version drove a pot so I could set the amount of boost needed for my location.
Obviously, the throttle version of the same method was far simpler to operate. (read: safer)

-but I'm an old guy and have been playing with e-bikes before hub motors and low RPM 1kW motors, controllers and such became readily available from many, many sources. My first bikes used brushed motors and a switch- no controller needed. lol

fabieville said:
CrazyBike2 uses one on each side, same as the brake handles--rear on left and front on right.

It gives me the ability to control each wheel separately which has saved me from at least one possible crash in a turn in the wet.

I don't think the OP intends to use both together, although it would be nice to I think. If not though, I guess a 3 possition power switch will come in to play, to power one controller or the other. The same switch, perhaps with an auxillary relay, could also swap the throttle from controller to controller. Rather than put two beads in one throttle. I still prefer the beads idea though. With some sort of power switching elsewhere to go between controllers of course. Or, to specify both.

If you only want to use one controller at a time, you only need to switch the signal wire, not all three. You keep the 5v and 0v conneected to either controller.

http://www.gngebike.com/pas-sensor type two has a connect parrallel... on and then goes off with the magnetic ring?

I think the simplest and probably most straightforward option is to just buy a dual throttle cable.

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/wiring-accessories/dualcthrotcable.html

Seems like like it would be easier then most of the other options

you can use a wire throttle from a motorcicle and a dual output potentiometer for the 2 throtte , dual potentiometer are very common in audio when you have to regulate the volume for left and right channel. is very cheap and works perfectly

That dual cable would run both motors at the same time, all the time. You'd still have to put a switch on the throttle output wire to activate one motor or the other one at a time.

The more I think about it, the two thumb throttles looks like the best approach of all, unless you can find a left hand throttle. Best because you could for just a moment or two when needed, run both at once.

so if we have same throttle for two motors...we might need a brake that is spliced at the end to fit into two throttles..that way one brake can kill both motors. if the SHTF. kinda thing. one brake handle cuts off both motors.

Back