VESC Open Source - Android App Features?!?!

yea it just gives the total pack voltage in real time but would it be possible, and how hard, to get the info transferred from each cell to the vesc and then to the phone?

Well... no.
Or you have to rebuild the VESC to use as analog inputs in the STM as you have cells and then rewrite the firmware to measures and serialize though the voltages though the UART communication.
Lot of work and not sure it's worth it.

In addition, BMS manage charge and balancing with few mosfets, so the VESC should also drive those.

So I've got a VESC from Enertion (the most recent one), with all the parameters set up and working. It runs FOC on a bike hub motor, and works brilliantly.

however, I've just bought a HM-10 BLE module to connect my phone, so I can monitor power consumption etc, and I can't get it to work.

I've connected the HM-10 to the VESC TX+RX (crossed over) and 5V+GND. The HM-10 lights up, and I can connect to it via my phone (Android - OnePlus One).

But when I go into VESC_CONNECT, and try to connect, it says 'Connected', and then occasionally flashes "no firmware read response".

The HM-10 is connected properly, and set to 115200 baud, as is the VESC, which is set to UART only mode.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, it was configured as slave. I played around with the AT+... settings, and eventually got it working. I set it to remote command mode, and made it discoverable and unsecured, and set the baud rate to 19200.

I can monitor data, and read some config settings, but I use buttons and a resistor network as throttle on my ebike (can't use twist throttle as drop bars).
Therefore I have to use the ADC for throttle control, but I cannot find ADC under Control Settings in the app.

Also, I use FOC for smoother torque and quietness, but cannot find the FOC startup settings (open-loop ERPM, Kp, Ki, Hysteresis loop settings, current injection).

Are these not officially present in the app, or is it my phone being weird?
Sorry if they're not implemented yet, but after everything else, I assume my phone is being weird by default. :lol:

The app supports only data monitoring, not configuration of the VESC.
This is not implemented (yet ?).

Can somebody tell me what I need to get data monitoring on Android while also using a 3-wire twist thorttle ?? thnx

Are you using ADC for your throttle ?
If so, I'm afraid that you can't because UART and ADC share the same port.

Can an twist trottle be connected to vesc another way?

Pimousse said:
Are you using ADC for your throttle ?
If so, I'm afraid that you can't because UART and ADC share the same port.
No they are not.
ADC is ADC
UART is RX and TX

It can be used at the same time, I use UART+ADC mode for HM-10 and twist throttle

myzter said:
Can somebody tell me what I need to get data monitoring on Android while also using a 3-wire twist thorttle ?? thnx
You need to connect RX and TX, GND and 5V/3V to bluetooth transmitter
and you need GND, ADC, and 5V/3V for twist throttle
Also set ADC+UART in App Configuration (BLDC Tool)

Elon Musk said:
What there any progress in the Android app?
Interested to see if anyone was able to harvest the telemetry info from VESC.

Elon Musk, the man himself :shock: Oh hey Boss! ;D

Back