Voilamart Controller Mod

Ezrider_028

10 mW
Has anyone attempted to convert a NON-LCD 48v 1500w Voilamart Controller to be compatible with the SW900 LCD..

I do have a separate 1500w LCD controller and when comparing both, I see it's pretty much the same circuit board, so I figure it would just be a matter of removing the old wires and re-soldering with the right connectors, although not sure about how they are programmed. . if truly they are the same board, it's a shame Voila didn't just stick to one and offered LCD connectivity regardless of use or not..

It depends on the firmware programmed into the controller MCU. If it's setup for an LCD, it's going to need the LCD to change assist levels and other things from the defaults, and generally isn't going to run full power/speed/etc without the LCD to tell it to do so (by the rider changing the assist level up). If it's setup for "headless" operation, it'll typically already be programmed to run the max speed/power/etc, though it may have a connector for a three-speed-switch that lets you alter the speed or power down from the max by some amount.

Because displays and controllers are not generally intercompatible****, the only *certain* way to get a display and controller that work together is to buy them as a kit together. Not everyone wants a display, and the display adds significant cost to the cheap kits like Voilamart, so it makes sense for them to carry kits that have one and kits that don't, to make more sales.

**** (there's a bunch of threads around discussing various controller/display combos; E-HP has a thread listing some known combinations and their compatibility (or non-),

Just a quick update, I was successful on mapping the wires on the Non-LCD Voilamart1500w controller and once done, the Non-LCD controller works like a charm controlling my 1500w Violamart hub motor and everything displays well on the SW900. . IT WORKS !!

I started with 5 wire connector going through each color and rule of thumb was to mimic and solder each cable identically as the supported LCD controller. . then I compared the 3 wire throttle connector. .

I've been riding it now for a week or so and I can't tell the difference between the 1500 LCD and the non-LCD, --also I have shunt moded both. .

Glad it was "that easy" ;) (it usually isn't)

If you can post your specific wiring/etc in this thread for future readers it could be helpful to those needing to do the same thing.

Perfect point amberwolf, I should have taken some pics along the way, however i don’t think I mentioned it was easy as it took me a few hours of work. Also my go-in was with the expectation that I was going to ruin the controller and by sheer luck it worked.

As I mentioned? the main two connectors to mimic on are the 5 wire SM sw900 connector and the 3 wire throttle. They have to be identical as the LCD supported controller.

Just a quick update, I was successful on mapping the wires on the Non-LCD Voilamart1500w controller and once done, the Non-LCD controller works like a charm controlling my 1500w Violamart hub motor and everything displays well on the SW900. . IT WORKS !!

I started with 5 wire connector going through each color and rule of thumb was to mimic and solder each cable identically as the supported LCD controller. . then I compared the 3 wire throttle connector. .
The throttle wire connections are my problem as well. The controller 36volt kit) has 5 wires. I am assuming the red,black 5v)and white (signal) are the thumb throttle but what to do with the brown and yellow. Did you solder those together? Also did you run with or without hall sensors?

Perfect point amberwolf, I should have taken some pics along the way, however i don’t think I mentioned it was easy as it took me a few hours of work. Also my go-in was with the expectation that I was going to ruin the controller and by sheer luck it worked.

As I mentioned? the main two connectors to mimic on are the 5 wire SM sw900 connector and the 3 wire throttle. They have to be identical as the LCD supported controller.
Great news that you got it working! Is there a way to take a few pics of the LCD supported controller board, and where the wires are connected? That would be the key for someone wanting to do the same later. If you're able to post a pic, I'd add a link to this thread to another FAQ thread I've been working on. If you can take pics of the labels on the two controllers, that would be helpful as well.

I also second the need for pics, or more info. I've been wanting to do this. But I'd like to avoid voilamat altogether and get a 72 V 2000 watt controller and buck down the batteries I have to 72 V. But I'd also like to be able to use the SW900 on any controller not just the voilamart ones, Their controllers suck I've already broken a lot of them.

Back