Wanted..120~160V controller

ebike11 said:
Ill keep you updated
Do you have a link to the Sevcon?

So:
PowerVelocity won't sell me one of theirs
Lyen don't do high current
The APT96600 weighs 6 Kg
Nucular don't do high enough voltage (yet)
I don't want something without Bluetooth or the ability to program it, so

Current Thinking:
  • Sevcon 120V nominal150V max 300A peak 120A cont Gen4 Size 4 about £1,100 including the £300 programming cable.
    They also do a "dragon 8" which is 120 cheaper

I guess the question is, is the kelly twice as good as the Yanking and is the Sevcon twice as good as the Kelly ?
Anyone out there have experience of at least two of these for comparison?
Any update?

BobBob said:
ebike11 said:
Ill keep you updated
Do you have a link to the Sevcon?

So:
PowerVelocity won't sell me one of theirs
Lyen don't do high current
The APT96600 weighs 6 Kg
Nucular don't do high enough voltage (yet)
I don't want something without Bluetooth or the ability to program it, so

Current Thinking:
  • Sevcon 120V nominal150V max 300A peak 120A cont Gen4 Size 4 about £1,100 including the £300 programming cable

I guess the question is, is the kelly twice as good as the Yanking and is the Sevcon twice as good as the Kelly ?
Anyone out there have experience of at least two of these for comparison?
Any update?

Hu
We are looking for the same thing lol
I was considering yuyang but its not sinewave so there is motor noise. I prefer the silence of a sinewave
I also hear good and bad about kelly so it could be risky

ebike11 said:
Hu
I was considering yuyang but its not sinewave so there is motor noise. I prefer the silence of a sinewave
Guess that rules out the Yuyang King
There's a size 2 Sevcon which was yet to be realeased last time I checked, might be an option.
60A continuous 150A for 2 minutes and 180A for 10S which is plenty for me as the motor will overheat first

The Sevcon has the power needed, looks more robust but complicated to program.
Tons of options for additional inputs and outputs that seems useful
Lots of options for comms that I don't need that I'd be paying for...
Will contact them for recommended settings

Kelly looks kinda vanilla - [EDIT - 96V nominaal, 120V max for the Brushless https://www.kellycontrollers.eu/kbl96351e}
Gotta be sevcon - Dragon (140V) or Gen 4 (150V) - thinking 140 is enough (more than enogh really)

BobBob said:
ebike11 said:
Hu
Guess that rules out the Yuyang King
There's a size 2 Sevcon which was yet to be realeased last time I checked, might be an option.
60A continuous 150A for 2 minutes and 180A for 10S which is plenty for me as the motor will overheat first

The Sevcon has the power needed, looks more robust but complicated to program.
Tons of options for additional inputs and outputs that seems useful
Lots of options for comms that I don't need that I'd be paying for...
Will contact them for recommended settings

Kelly looks kinda vanilla - [EDIT - max 96V for the Brushless, only 120V for brushed }
Gotta be sevcon - Dragon (140V) or Gen 4 (150V) - thinking 140 is enough (more than enogh really)

Hi..did you decide on a controller?

ebike11 said:
Not yet, I'm revisiting the idea of a Nucular 12f controlller and changing to a MXUS 3T motor, this gives me 7.75 Kw instead of 9 Kw peak theoretical. It also charges so I don't need to build a 135V battery charger, it comes with a display, is smaller and only 600g

How about you - any progress? You have a MXUS 3K 3T already but are planning on going to 120-150V?
That seems to show 11 KW peak and 74 MPH on the Grin sim...

BobBob said:
ebike11 said:
Not yet, I'm revisiting the idea of a Nucular 12f controlller and changing to a MXUS 3T motor, this gives me 7.75 Kw instead of 9 Kw peak theoretical. It also charges so I don't need to build a 135V battery charger, it comes with a display, is smaller and only 600g

How about you - any progress? You have a MXUS 3K 3T already but are planning on going to 120-150V?
That seems to show 11 KW peak and 74 MPH on the Grin sim...

The problem with Nuclear is the waiting time.
What is the max voltage for 12f?
Its not enough voltage for me i think. Im using QS motors. Little bigger than mxus 3k

ebike11 said:
The problem with Nuclear is the waiting time.
What is the max voltage for 12f?
Its not enough voltage for me i think. Im using QS motors. Little bigger than mxus 3k
There is stock with the sur-ron shop on ebay for the 12f at a bit of a premium. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224272493979

Nucular is 20- 90V in the datasheet, 95V settable on the screen and and I've seen 98 ish Volts abs max somewhere.
https://nucular.tech 21S should be ok and 22 looks possible (TBC)

A cheaper option is Sabvoton, with the same performance for me from a 26S4P vs 21S 5P for Nucular
Max 120V controller. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32889188604.html
Batt Current: 120 A. Phase Current: 300A, Battery Voltage: 24V-96V rated, Max. 120V
There was a SVMC96150 which is a 150A version but it doesn't seem to be available, probably a good reason for that

Sabvoton seem ok but are pretty basic compared to the Nulear and are huge, but I can use the existing wheel and it saves me £300

Nucular seem pretty damn good though. It's smaller and cuts 1.5 Kg off the controller weight. I'd need a 3T motor but don't need a charger and I could use a 21S 4P battery to shave another 1.5 Kg off the weight (Molicel 21700 1.2KWh) and £100 off the battery cost

Having trouble getting the 3T motor due to brexit.

Sorted out the motor problem and ordered it (3T)
Ordered the Nucular controller (4 available) - ebay error - none available
Cancelled the motor order

BobBob said:

What motor? Mxus 3T?

ebike11 said:
BobBob said:

What motor? Mxus 3T?
I sorted out the problem with ordering the 3T motor, and so was able to order the 3T motor, which I then did.

I then ordered the Nucular but the order did not go through. Ebay reported there were 8 for sale but then said there were none for sale.

I then had to go back and cancel my original order for the 3T as I don't need it if I am buying a high voltage system for my existing 4T motor (which has better copper density but needs a higher voltage, lower current controller for the same performance)

If I can't get the Nucular then I'm currently thinking of the Sevcon Dragon 8 for £1000 including a £300 programming cable (WTF) Putting out 350A at 140V max for a couple of minutes and 100A for an hour. As my motor can't manage much more this, It's ok..

The cheap alternative is a Sabvoton for £280 putting out 120A max (or 140A with no warranty unlocked version) at 120V max. As this is rated as a 4 KW controller I'd expect it to overheat faster and maybe not survive the experience as well.
With 36 FETS, that hulking great case and 3 KG weight, it may be more possible to modify when it does go pop with better FETS, bigger heatsink etc

Thoughts

if its a mxus 4T. the sabvoton would be enough. but only up to 28S pack
why pay 4x the price with sevcon?

Project creep I guess
The Sevcon can take higher current and voltage, it has some clever software that predicts how hot the motor is getting, and german engineering tends to be good.
The manuals are well written, detailed and targetting professional vehicle manufacturers so I'd expect quality and support that Automotive suppliers provide.
It's smaller lighter, more powerful and seems better quality
The Sabvoton would mean losing 12 cells from the battery and some range but jumping to a 4P wouldn't fit in the triangle of my frame.
I usually do things on a budget but decided to get myself a better toy (hopefully)

Not sure if still relevant but, our NextGen Vesc running controller can do up to 140v reliably.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=99621

True FOC, MTPA, field weakening, easy to set up, boost charging through motor coils, and lots of other features.
We are building stock at the moment, so availability and delivery time are getting better every day.

We also working to release a SiC based 400v version early next year.

https://3shulmotors.com/shop/cl1000/?v=7516fd43adaa
this one can do 30s 600 battery amps
they also have some smaller ones

Back