Wate Lifepo chargers odd behaviour, low voltage?

FSC

100 µW
I have issues with my new charger for my lifepo battery pack. I’ve come across contradicting information about Lifepo charging and I wonder if one of you more experienced could help a guy out.

Battery: 2x 20Ah(?) lifepo batteries in parallel. Each in s15 configuration.
Old charger: 54.75V 5A
New charger: 54.6V 5A

Things I am unsure about:
- Is 54.6V correct charging voltage for 15s lifepo?
- I measured the voltage and the charger goes to following cycle: Without load 54.6V. When charging, charges until about 52.0V then stops. Battery voltage slowly drops to 51.0V. Then starch charging to 52v again. Is this normal? Shouldn’t it go all the way to 54.6V or even over it?
- I ordered a lifepo charger, but mine came with hand made li-ion marking. Do li-ion and lifepo chargers differentiate by any other characteristic apart from voltage?

The battery is for 2011 Chinese electric moped-scooter. The new charger was bought from Aliexpress. The new charger is made by Wate, and seems to be adjustble using the potentiometers. I couldn't find any schematics, though.

Thanks already for the help.

Pics:

ss.jpg

yh.jpg

kuyt.jpg

The charger is stopping and restarting because the BMS in the battery is turning off it's input as a lower-capacity/capability cell group reaches HVC (is already full). Normally it then drains (bleeds, balances) that group down to a preset level, and restarts charging. This is what nearly all ebike/scooter/etc BMS and chargers do, generally.

But yours, according to the last pic (of the battery label?), can't do this part, so the BMS is simply shutting off input when the first cell reaches the overvoltage protection limit the pic shows of 3.9v. Eventually the cell will self-discharge enough for the BMS to allow charging to restart, but it doesn't say what voltage that has to drop to for this to happen, so we don't know what it is.

The pic indicates your BMS does not have a balancer (equalization) function, so cells will always get further out of balance all the time, forever, until the pack becomes unusable. (capacity will drop more and more as low groups get lower and high groups get higher in voltage; the former are the higher-capacity groups being charged less and less while the latter are the lower-capacity groups being charged as much as they can be).

So in your case, once the charger turns off the first time, you can (should) go ahead and disconnect it, since your battery is at that point as full as it will ever be, without replacing your BMS with a balancing type, and possibly replacing whichever cells are so low in capacity that they leave the system so far out of balance that there is a couple of volts "left on the table", if it is one or two groups that are significantly lower in capacity than the rest.

Note that a balancing BMS won't change the available capacity of any cells, it only causes all cells to charge to the same *voltage* (not the same capacity--that is determined by the individual cell capability).

With a balancing BMS, the final voltage the system holds depends on the cells themselves, and what they are still capable of holding at their age. Old LiFePO4 tends to drop to 3.2-3.3v / cell after charging to whatever the charger / BMS balances at (usually 3.6-3.65v / cell).

The voltage the system needs to fully balance (if you had a balancing BMS, which that pic indicates you do not) depends on the BMS and that balance voltage, and what trigger point it uses to start balancing at. 54.6v / 15s = 3.64 so it will probably still work like it used to. If not, you may have to adjust the new charger up by 0.01v x 15s = 0.15v to match your old one. If you do have to adjust it, and you don't know what the pots do, you should precisely mark them with a scratch or thin line across the surface that lines up as precisely as possible with the indicator on the "knob", so you can return them back to original setting if they do not adjust the voltage as expected. There are some threads about "Kingpan" and similar adjustable chargers that might have applicable information about yours, but the designs may be different enough to not be directly usable.

There is no need to adjust your charger unless you replace the BMS with a balancing type, *and* the BMS requires a minimum voltage above what your charger presently outputs.

The difference between LiFePO4 chargers and Li-Ion chargers used to be the LiFePO4 had a function to stay "on" for the balance charge while the BMS turned input on and off, and the Li-Ion detected change in current below a certain point and shut off, not turning back on again until power cycled or current rose above some other threshold indicating the BMS was trying to balance the pack. Whether that's true of the charger you have, you'd have to ask the manufacturer (the seller almost certainly has no idea) or test for the behavior, if you need to know for whatever reason.

BTW, why was the old charger replaced? (sometimes this matters for troubleshooting other issues).

FSC said:
I have issues with my new charger for my lifepo battery pack. I’ve come across contradicting information about Lifepo charging and I wonder if one of you more experienced could help a guy out.

Battery: 2x 20Ah(?) lifepo batteries in parallel. Each in s15 configuration.
Old charger: 54.75V 5A
New charger: 54.6V 5A

Things I am unsure about:
- Is 54.6V correct charging voltage for 15s lifepo?
- I measured the voltage and the charger goes to following cycle: Without load 54.6V. When charging, charges until about 52.0V then stops. Battery voltage slowly drops to 51.0V. Then starch charging to 52v again. Is this normal? Shouldn’t it go all the way to 54.6V or even over it?
- I ordered a lifepo charger, but mine came with hand made li-ion marking. Do li-ion and lifepo chargers differentiate by any other characteristic apart from voltage?

The battery is for 2011 Chinese electric moped-scooter. The new charger was bought from Aliexpress. The new charger is made by Wate, and seems to be adjustble using the potentiometers. I couldn't find any schematics, though.

Thanks already for the help.

Pics:

ss.jpg

yh.jpg

kuyt.jpg

Thank you greatly for taking all that time and giving such an in-depth and easy to understand explanation. I learned a lot from that, and is much appreciated.

Yes, the last picture is from the battery pack. And it seems indeed being without balancing function. Which is not good as balancing is pretty big deal with batteries. And basically in the end the lifepo chargers act more like power supplies for BMS and li-ion chargers have more logic to stop charging.

I took some time and disassembled the pack again. Bellow you will find a simple schematic of the electrical wiring. Unlike I previously believed that it was two 48V packs, it actually is one pack. I am not sure how many cells there are exactly as I was afraid to disassemble too much. But it looks like 15s4p, but I am not too sure about that. It looked a bit ...messy. It is a bit odd for me why there are two wires for GND and positive.
bat.png

I quickly tested cell voltages using the contacts in one side and they all measured 6.61 V (battery was not fully charged when measured)… so right now they seem to be balanced…?

About charger. When the charger is disconnected, it shows green LED (voltage 54.6 at charger cable and 0V in charging port). When charger is connected and cut by BMS at 52V (measured at charging port) it is also green. I am not too deep into electronics, but I would assume that when BMS disconnects charging, the voltage in charger should bounce to 54.6, but that is not happening(I see j Bjork was wondering the same). Also if charger is disconnected the charger port shows 0 V. However charger still thinks the pack is full. So is charger measuring current to decide if battery is full?

The old charger died of natural causes (fatigue on main coil fixing due vibration of being carried around with the scooter caused SC)
charg.jpg

The range of the battery has dropped from 55km to 40km in last 50-70 charging cycle. Based on mileage on the scooter, the battery pack has seen about 250-300 charging cycles. This made me think that is there issues with charging or the battery.

If I understood correctly there is no point fine-tune the charger unless I replace the BMS? Is there point on replacing BMS or is the pack just so degraded? What do you think?

Bellow you find images of the pack and BMS.
cellsa.jpg
cellsb.jpg
cellsc.jpg

amberwolf said:
The charger is stopping and restarting because the BMS in the battery is turning off it's input as a lower-capacity/capability cell group reaches HVC (is already full). Normally it then drains (bleeds, balances) that group down to a preset level, and restarts charging. This is what nearly all ebike/scooter/etc BMS and chargers do, generally.

FSC said:
I took some time and disassembled the pack again. Bellow you will find a simple schematic of the electrical wiring. Unlike I previously believed that it was two 48V packs, it actually is one pack. I am not sure how many cells there are exactly as I was afraid to disassemble too much. But it looks like 15s4p, but I am not too sure about that. It looked a bit ...messy. It is a bit odd for me why there are two wires for GND and positive.
bat.png

They're probably just using thinner cheaper wire doubled up for higher current flow, instead of a single thicker wire. Saves money on wire and also on tools/labor to connect, since it's harder to solder thicker wires correctly.

I quickly tested cell voltages using the contacts in one side and they all measured 6.61 V (battery was not fully charged when measured)… so right now they seem to be balanced…?

6.61v is WAY WAY too high, a severe overcharge, for any LiFePO4 cell, if you are actualy measuring across just one cell in each case. No cell should read more than 3.6-3.65v normally, and if the BMS is working, worst case would be 3.9v/cell based on the HVC it lists on the label.

I suspect the measurement you're doing is across pairs of seriesed cells, or that your multimeter's battery is low (which will cause a higher reading than reality).

If it's across pairs of cells, then 6.61v / 2 = 3.305v. 3.3v or so is about what LiFePO4 cells often charge to once their ability to take and/or hold a "surface charge" up to 3.6ish V wears out. If this is what they're all actually at, then the reason they're not charging higher is just age, rather than imbalance.

Can you verify where you are placing each of the meter leads? Normally, if measuring on the BMS sense-wire connector itself (the thin wires), you'd start at the most negative wire on that connector, with black meter lead there, red lead on next wire. Note the reading, then move black lead to where the red lead is, then the red lead to the next wire, and note that reading. Proceed until all wire pairs are tested, and you have 15 voltages noted down.

It's unlikely they will all be exactly the same voltage to the hundredth, especially if the BMS is not balancing; I only usually see this with EV-grade cells being used well-within their limitations, rather than the typical cells in these types of packs which are usually used close to their limitations.

About charger. When the charger is disconnected, it shows green LED (voltage 54.6 at charger cable and 0V in charging port). When charger is connected and cut by BMS at 52V (measured at charging port) it is also green. I am not too deep into electronics, but I would assume that when BMS disconnects charging, the voltage in charger should bounce to 54.6, but that is not happening(I see j Bjork was wondering the same). Also if charger is disconnected the charger port shows 0 V. However charger still thinks the pack is full. So is charger measuring current to decide if battery is full?
It probably is; as noted in my first reply, Li-Ion chargers tend to monitor output current and turn off the output once current drops below a certain level. They may also have other off-triggers, such as if the voltage jumps up (like when unplugged from a pack removing the load). When disconnected and reconnected (like if the BMS turns off the input to balance, then turns it back on to continue charging), they'll turn back on until one of the triggers engages and turns it off.

The charger voltage probably does bounce up, but when it does the charger then shuts off it's output, so then you are reading the "leakage" out of the BMS FETs. With no load on the port to drain the "ghost charge" on the port, it will read approximately the same as the voltage on the "inside" of the port, at the pack. This isn't always the case, but it's common.

It seems odd without knowing how they work inside, but FETs aren't really the same as a real switch or relay, they are semiconductors, so they always have some leakage since no physical connection is actually broken by them. Many chargers actually use a relay on their output for this reason, to ensure they are actually disconnected under whatever conditions they are designed to do so.

The old charger died of natural causes (fatigue on main coil fixing due vibration of being carried around with the scooter caused SC)
charg.jpg
Oops. :( We've seen that type of failure before with inductors, capacitors, and even transformers not secured to the PCB. :(

Some of us use potted chargers partly for that reason, like the adjustable Meanwell HLG-600H-54A LED PSU I use on the SB Cruiser trike, mounted underneath it. (potted ones are also usually waterproof, an added bonus).

The range of the battery has dropped from 55km to 40km in last 50-70 charging cycle. Based on mileage on the scooter, the battery pack has seen about 250-300 charging cycles. This made me think that is there issues with charging or the battery.
That's a pretty low amount of cycles for a "good" LiFePO4, usually you'd see 3-4 times that many before severe degradation. (Li-Ion on the other hand may only survive 100-300 cycles, depending on the specific cell, usage, etc.; some are much better than that).

The lower the proportion of battery capacity that is used each cycle, the more cycles you'll get, regardless (and usually the less balancing issues you'll have, because they are less stressed at the extremes of voltage). Meaning, if you only charge up to say, 80-90% full, and only discharge to say, 20-30% full, you might see quite a lot longer lifespan. Depends on the specific cells, and also the usage conditions (how much current is pulled especially at lower states of charge, vs what the cells are designed for). In this case, you haven't really got any way to know what the cell specs are (even if the battery seller had a rating for them, you can't really trust it; you'd need to have manufacturer specs to know what they would really be--sellers often say anything to get you to buy something :( ).

There are a lot of threads about extending lifespan of cells/batteries, with varied info depending on experience of the posters. I have not attempted to quantify any of my own battery experiences this way, so am only posting generalities of what I've read of other's.

If I understood correctly there is no point fine-tune the charger unless I replace the BMS? Is there point on replacing BMS or is the pack just so degraded? What do you think?
Yes, there isn't any reason to fine tune it if the BMS doesn't do balancing anyway. A lower voltage is actually better in this case, because the cells risk less overcharge in the event of imabalance severe enough to cause that.

Replacing the BMS may help the pack's usefulness *if* it has a balance issue now. If it does not, a balancing BMS has nothing to fix, and it's just degraded cells causing the problem, so replacing the pack would be the only real option to fix that. :(

I advise for longevity, normal cycling charge to 3.45V per cell/group and stop, so 52V for 15S.

You will not achieve any significantly greater usable capacity (range) pushing higher up the V/SoC curve, only negative consequences, shortened lifespan and more unbalanced cell/groups

3.32 to 3.34Vpc isolated at rest is 100% SoC, anything higher shows harmful "surface charge" only, even a tiny load will drop it.

Poorly designed non-adjustable balancing circuitry may require holding higher voltage for an extended period. If you want to keep using that, only do so as infrequently as possible, just enough to keep cell/group delta within 50mV at the balance voltage.

Even more important, do not let your pack sit at high SoC very long, if possible only charge above 3.2Vpc just before riding.

FSC said:
Do li-ion and lifepo chargers differentiate by any other characteristic apart from voltage?
Cheap Chinese chargers's behaviour can vary enormously to start with, but no the proper profile settings between all the LI chemistries only varies by setpoint.

Whoa, great info again. Huge thanks amberwolf and also john61ct for your input.

amberwolf said:
Saves money on wire and also on tools/labor

Very good point. Never thought of that before.

amberwolf said:
Can you verify where you are placing each of the meter leads?

Yes, I measured cell pairs. I measured just the leads on one side of the as I did not want to deconstruct the pack too much for now.
You can see the metal connector bridges between the cell pairs in pictures. They pretty much are 3.3V per cell then.

Scooter was manufactured in 2011.
I bought it used 2020. It had 80% capacity and some 80 charge cycles.
Then it had some 100 more cycles in 2021 and was still around 80%.
in 2022 it has seen about 80 cycles and I noticed it has now dropped to 60%. That made me wonder some charger issue.

But judging the built quality of the battery, the cells may not be top notch either. I have always been a bit hesitant in building my own pack as not being able to build good enough, but lets say I might be able to top this :D

amberwolf said:
so then you are reading the "leakage" out of the BMS FETs

Yea, I think that could be it. I love semiconductors for their durability and switching speed, but too bad they do not share the non-existant resistance and linearity of mechanical switches.

amberwolf said:
Some of us use potted chargers partly for that reason, like the adjustable Meanwell HLG-600H-54A LED PSU

Do you use it in constant voltage mode and the BMS deals with the actual cell charging? Hypothetically, If I’d want to build a new hig quality15s lifepo battery all I need are high quality cells, good bms and basic 56V-ish voltage supply for bms being able to do balancing.

But conclusion is that as the cells seem to be quite balanced and the current BMS is non-balancing. There is no use to change bms or charger. And the lower cut-off voltage is actually good.

FSC said:
They pretty much are 3.3V per cell then.
the lower cut-off voltage is actually good.

Yes call that Full, even with healthier cells.

> it has now dropped to 60%. That made me wonder some charger issue.

Nope just a pack that needs replacing, past EoL

> Do you use it in constant voltage mode

For normal cycling no CV / Absorb stage needed, just charge To your V setpoint (3.45Vpc) and stop

> and the BMS deals with the actual cell charging?

Only very expensive fancy setups. Normally BMS HVC is set higher as redundant cell protection, for when primary (charger) regulation circuitry fails

FSC said:
Yes, I measured cell pairs. I measured just the leads on one side of the as I did not want to deconstruct the pack too much for now.
You can see the metal connector bridges between the cell pairs in pictures. They pretty much are 3.3V per cell then.
It might be good to verify this by measuring each group directly, just in case you have some that are high and some low that total up to what you see...but it's unlikely it would total that exactly, so it may be safe to assume they are equal.

Scooter was manufactured in 2011.
I bought it used 2020. It had 80% capacity and some 80 charge cycles.
Then it had some 100 more cycles in 2021 and was still around 80%.
in 2022 it has seen about 80 cycles and I noticed it has now dropped to 60%. That made me wonder some charger issue.
Sounds like it's just a really old battery that needs replacing.

Really good quality cells (like large-EV-quality, like the EIG cells I'm using) may last a lot longer than say, generic cells, but they all age even if you're not using them, and degrade over time.

But judging the built quality of the battery, the cells may not be top notch either. I have always been a bit hesitant in building my own pack as not being able to build good enough, but lets say I might be able to top this :D
I've seen a fair few packs that I'm sure the local preschool kids could top. ;)

Do you use it in constant voltage mode and the BMS deals with the actual cell charging? Hypothetically, If I’d want to build a new hig quality15s lifepo battery all I need are high quality cells, good bms and basic 56V-ish voltage supply for bms being able to do balancing.

I use it in whatever mode it works in during the charge: constant current at it's max output (12A) up to the point in charging that the cell resistance lowers the current gradually, till it reaches the max voltage it's set to (57.7V, IIRC). I don't use a BMS on these EIG cells; because they stay balanced at cell level I just have the Cycle Analyst v3 set to an appropriate pack-level LVC to keep from discharging them too far (and if I really really have to, to get home or to an outlet, I can disable that and keep going at risk of cell damage). I periodically check them for balance at various states of charge and during charging, and very occasionally I will find a cell that has a problem (and replace it, because if it's that obvious a problem, it no longer matches the other cells, and will only get worse).

I don't recommend running without a BMS unless you are very familiar with how batteries / cells work, especially the specific ones you're using in a pack, and with how those specific cells behave over time in your actual pack, by testing. Even then, I'd only do it with cells like I have now--high quality well-matched cells that are used well-within the capabilites so they are never pushed near their limits of charge, discharge, or current delivery, environmental conditions, etc., since doing those things increases the likelihood of unbalancing the cells, moreso the lower the quality of the cells and especially if they are not well-matched in cell characteristics.

I have other packs, including an 18650-based one, that do use BMSs; I don't think I'd trust them enough to run them without one--I dont' want to manually do the checks as often as I would have to feel safe with them. ;)

Thanks all. I guess I start to keep an eye if I build my own lifepo pack instead of buying a cheap pack.

Back