• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

welding 18650 cells with DN-5 spot welder

Have 0.3 Nickle strip on it's way - will do some more testing with the DN10 when it arrives... but until then, I'm keen for a group ride. Do we call that a groupie now? or is that reserved for something else?

Hey willow, RTL
Sunday morn is probly my best bet for a ride- I'll run it past the boss.
What happened to the DN? Did I read you're getting another
Kdog

kdog said:
Hey willow, RTL
Sunday morn is probly my best bet for a ride- I'll run it past the boss.
What happened to the DN? Did I read you're getting another
Kdog

Sunday sounds good - think it's gonna snow though.
welder sits in the workshop awaiting nickel strip to arrive... not getting another... right now, to clear that up.

silviasol said:
Sorry for this stupid question but I am about to hook up my 230v welder but need to rewire it to hook up to my 230 power plug. Is there any difference in which wire goes to where or is fine to have either side plug in like 120v outlets?

Yes there is a difference, DO NOT just pick a side and wire it up, If memory serves me right as i have been out of the business for 5 yrs now but the left hand side is the positive on the GPO on the wall.
So when you look at the plug front on, its the prong on the right hand side. Your plug should be marked on the inside next too the screw terminal.

TotalConfusion said:
silviasol said:
Sorry for this stupid question but I am about to hook up my 230v welder but need to rewire it to hook up to my 230 power plug. Is there any difference in which wire goes to where or is fine to have either side plug in like 120v outlets?

Yes there is a difference, DO NOT just pick a side and wire it up, If memory serves me right as i have been out of the business for 5 yrs now but the left hand side is the positive on the GPO on the wall.
So when you look at the plug front on, its the prong on the right hand side. Your plug should be marked on the inside next too the screw terminal.

No wories there is no side :| You can plug 220 the two ways :wink:
I dont no why you are telling that i think you have a "total confusion" :wink:

izeman said:
if you think about it: there is no way to know how the wall outlet has been wired.

Not true. You can know what is the neutral and the phase wire with a multimeter.

You select the multimeter to meter AC voltage, you hold in your hand the tip of one of the probes of the multimeter and the tip of the other probe you plug in one hole of the wall outlet. you try one hole and after the other.
In 220V AC the multimeter will show:
Neutral -> +/-10V
Phase -> +/- 110V

I'm not an electrician, but using yourself as a ground for 220V doesn't seem like a good idea?

Punx0r said:
I'm not an electrician, but using yourself as a ground for 220V doesn't seem like a good idea?
it should not hurt because the the voltmeter has extremely high ohm, but it would if the meter is set wrong as ex to measure current :lol:

Punx0r said:
Anyway, don't you folks have different wire colours for live and neutral?

Of course, blue (neutral), black or brown (phase).
But how do you know without open or dismount the wall outlet and also how do you know if the electrician that made the installation of your house followed that rule.

What I am doing it hooking it up to my dryer outlet which has different colored wires so I will be able to tell which is which. What color is what? Assuming the drier is functioning correctly would that mean that each color is correct or could it run anyway as long as the ground is correct?

Picture is worth 1000 words :D

http://hubpages.com/hub/how-to-change-a-4-prong-dryer-cord-and-plug-to-a-3-prong

You should only connect the welder power cord to the two line connections of your dryer outlet. Because you do not have a ground available from the dryer receptacle leave the third wire on your welder unconnected and use the welder with care. Other option is to look for a ground connection from another source nearby.

Note that the receptacle is clearly 30 amp. If your welder cord is not 30 amp rated, a welder fault may exceed the current capacity of the welder cord and fail without tripping the circuit breaker or fuse feeding the dryer outlet. Just saying, Be Careful. You could also change the dryer circuit breaker or fuse to 20 amp.

Yes; the 2 welder power wires go to the line connections on the dryer receptacle. The ground on the welder goes to the ground on the receptacle. Either receptacle line can go to either welder power wire.

Again, the MAJOR consideration is over current protection. The dryer receptacle is fed with a 30 amp circuit breaker. Welder cord and internals are likely rated for 20 amps. Any welder cord or machine fault may not trip 30 amp circuit breaker with smoke and flame a possible result.. Don't leave this plugged in or unattended.

Thanks for the help. I will not leave it unattended, I will be doing the entire job at once when I get my cells then unplugging it when finished. The welder itself has a fuse and the manual says it it common to blow and needs to be replaced when you use it at higher amps(stronger weld settings).

Has anyone tried to spot weld with copper strips with DN 10 or 5?

0.3 0.4 or 0.5mm copper should weld easier than nickel and considering the low settings being used to work on with nickel, copper should take more current?

Im not sure what the obsession with nickel is when copper is less resistance loss.

Back