well shit. there goes $300 down the drain. I am an idiot.

sn0wchyld

100 kW
Well. I'm one unhappy camper right now. I just discovered I've pretty much killed $300 worth of lipo.

I had my 24s 10ah pack all wired up still, but since I hadn't fixed my bike up, and I wasnt likely to any time soon, I'd removed the pack from the bike + disconnected the controller. The cells were all at ~3.8-3.9v, so no issues there, and I figured they'd be fine for a month or two, and had been checking them regularly for a while... well I checked them today, and the highest of em is at 3.5v. not so bad... though the lowest of them I can only get 50mV (yes, mV) out of a 4s pack. oh dear... :oops: :cry:

As it turns out I should have gone 1 step further. I had a small switch that turned my 12v power adapter on and off, and I think I must have left it 'on'... as the only other thing connected to the packs were the cell logs, and they'd been modified to be 'swich-off-able' and had next to no current draw in that mode (atleast, not enough to drain a 3.8v 10ah cell to 0 in a couple of weeks). So over the space of about 3 weeks (I've been crazily busy with uni) they've slowly been drained to 0 :evil: .

There's a small chance that I might be able to recover and use some again, as the cell logs power drain wasnt 100% even, so out of each string of 2 x 4s packs, one of the 4s packs has cells around 1.2volts, and each has 1 cell at 3.5 volts... basically I have 6 packs that are dead as dead... 50mV for each 4s pack, and 6 others that have ~5V for each 4s pack. since they've been drained down really slowly I might see if they can be saved, though I'm not holding my breath. If I cut the packs up I can get a single good 6s 5ah pack made from the 3.5v cells, out of the total 28cells that were there. errr.. yay :| ?

Not much else to say really. I'm just bummed that I let this happen. I had been checking on them once a week for about a month, and they'd been fine, so I must have accidentally hit the switch on the last 'check' before the 3 odd week gap. had I continued to check weekly, this wouldn't have happened. Guess thats the moral of the story eh? either A check regularly if they're in 'storage'... or if they're in storage, ideally, pull em apart completely. Which would have taken me about 30 seconds. No idea why I didnt. hence the title....

Im an idiot.
im_an_idiot.png

FWIW,
I drained a coule of LiPo packs to down to where one cell was near zero. Slow charge on my RC quality charger brought it back to - let's say "pretty good". When I use those LiPo bricks, I know which cells will be weak, and will hit 3.0v first, and I have set my LVC accordingly...

EDITED for dumb typo: "hot" was supposed to be "hit"

Happens. Won't if nothing is left connected so maybe the lesson is to never, ever store/leave RC Lipo plugged into anything? I know I don't.

It also seems to be a good idea to help watch for "leakers" - cells which discharge on their own. Can't see that handy clue if you leave 'em connected to devices.

Sucks for you, sorry...

Don't worry at least you didn't short anything. If worse comes to worse why not buy some turnigy hardcases. For $200 you get $300 worth of regular battery's. Just as a last resort.
I would dump the battery's if I were you and get some new ones. No sense in having cells that can be a less tolerable to mistakes such as that or mistakes in general. Good luck hope you reach a verdict mate :mrgreen:

dude. i did the same frickin thing. I lost 8 6s turnigy 5ah lipos. They're still sitting here....dead...

I had been running an RC drive at 22V, and I wanted to test its performance on 10S (37V?). LiPo arrived, and I was so excited that I used masking tape to wrap it onto the bike rack for a quick spin around the block...hit a bump...cars run over LiPo before I can stop/go back/pick it up.

Yeah this is why I never put anything on my Lipo. Precharge circuit to start the damn thing and always remove the connector after a ride. It's a habit, but it keeps my Lipo in good shape. It does wonders to the connectors, but I figured, it is easier/cheaper/SAFER to replace connectors than replacing my all my lipo.

Be thankful you did not take the additional stupid step and charge them afterwards.

Sorry to hear for your loss!!

Trackman417 said:
Don't worry at least you didn't short anything. If worse comes to worse why not buy some turnigy hardcases. For $200 you get $300 worth of regular battery's. Just as a last resort.
I would dump the battery's if I were you and get some new ones. No sense in having cells that can be a less tolerable to mistakes such as that or mistakes in general. Good luck hope you reach a verdict mate :mrgreen:

Ha, that's the problem. these were the hard case packs!! so for $300 I can replace my $300 worth of regular batteries! :cry:

neptronix said:
Be thankful you did not take the additional stupid step and charge them afterwards.

Sorry to hear for your loss!!

Nah, I might be an idiot but I'm not quite that bad! haha, well, I would have said I'm not stupid enough to let em hit 0v but there you go. Still, I do check before/during/after every charge, so it would have come up sooner or later...

Ykick said:
Happens. Won't if nothing is left connected so maybe the lesson is to never, ever store/leave RC Lipo plugged into anything? I know I don't.

It also seems to be a good idea to help watch for "leakers" - cells which discharge on their own. Can't see that handy clue if you leave 'em connected to devices.

Sucks for you, sorry...

ha yea problem is these were the 'non' leakers... i'd bought 20 packs to make sure I could weed out the shitty ones, and still have enough for 24s 15ah. the leakers I'd put aside for other uses, these were the top notch ones, I even went to the trouble of matching up the higher IR cells with the lower IR ones to get the best overall IR. now theyre all high IR I suspect... :cry:

And yea, in future, when storing its disconnect everything from the wire/connector level, not just relying on switches.

MattyCiii said:
FWIW,
I drained a coule of LiPo packs to down to where one cell was near zero. Slow charge on my RC quality charger brought it back to - let's say "pretty good". When I use those LiPo bricks, I know which cells will be weak, and will hot 3.0v first, and I have set my LVC accordingly...

yea thats the plan. even if I can only bring one or two cells back from the dead (well, I know at least 6 will be fine), I can cut the cases open and use them for other projects that wont see them sitting right between my jewels.

Cheers for the thoughts guys. I'll try and recover them next weekend, as I cant even spare a hour or two right now. but like a few said, I'm probably better off swallowing this one and buying brand new, rather than relying on dodgy cells. Atleast I'm not sort on pre made bullet connectors now...

Well shoot buddy! Thank you for sharing your story...... It all helps when we share our success and our flubbs.....

since the drain current was small, you may be able to recover them and test them to see which is vulnerable.

you could start charging each one using a cell phone charger initially. put a resistor on the end of the charger to reduce the initial current surge. not sure when to begin with a larger charger, but maybe you could start by clipping the cellphone charger leads to the voltmeter probes and when it reaches a certain voltage, say 2V then go to the next one and initialize all of them that way. your charger maybe refuse to charge them if they are too low so you may have a minimum voltage to charge up to so don't use a super high value resistor, 200 ohms maybe or less.

when all the cells are fully charged again then just do simple internal resistance estimates by discharging each cell into a load. make it a significant load, so you can get the cell to produce 2C at least and then measure the voltage drop on the cell under that load.

use that number to group the cells and for those at the high end of the resistance range, go back and mash them to 20C and see if they get hot. put your hand right on the cell and feel it so that if it goes into runaway you can cut it out with some scissors right away. akinda be prepared scenario.

Agreed.

I was (actually still am) the village idiot and left my Triangle pack plugged to the controller(s) whilst my knee was recovering from a non-bike accident (quadriceps tendonitis from... of all things... sitting cross-legged playing XBox). It was weeks before I decided to check my electric steed, only to discover with heartsick horror that my entire commuter pack had discharged! :cry:

I removed the pack and hooked up the old reliable trickle charger and was able to recover about 12 of the 18 batteries. The 6 that went TU have at least one bad cell and are now in the salavage pile.

The lession I learned was: Don't sit cross-legged for any length of time whilst playing XBox... especially if playing Mass Effect or Skyrim or Assassin's Creed or Minecraft or...

Safely recharging, KF

KF sitting cross legged can be so dangerous ?

people in coffee shops especialy girls sit cross legged all the time.

my leg gets numb after 10 min, but what you got pfff.... Sounds scary

my condolences snoyee, rest in piece anode cathode and the salty bridge.

Back