What about these batteries

Bryanc

1 mW
I have the chance to purchase these batteries. Can anyone tell me about them? Are they good for an e-bike buildIMG_1562.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 8
Those look like A123 systems LifePo4 26650 size cell, rack style, they came in two variants, older M1A(2.3Ah), and newer M1B (2.5Ah).
Some reference:
A123 26650 LFP 39.6v 96 cell (Rack Style) LiFePo4 Pack
And:
https://a123batteries.com/product_images/uploaded_images/26650.pdf

In the most generic sense, yes, you can build a pack with these cells.

Whether they are "good" for an e-bike build depends on what you are aiming for.

From what I've seen, they are capable of pushing some serious current, ~50 amps continuous per cell.

Looks like @skeetab5780 is running some A123's, he responded to your thread:
Rc Lipo wire gauge

Do your research.

Last edited:
Great, thanks I can get a lot of them. They are untested but they are only $400 for the entire pack of 13 individual clusters

You may wish to inquire how old are they, and how hard have they been used, under what conditions? The older they are (even unused) and the harder they have been used, under harder conditions, the less capable they will be in any subsequent application. You can overcome this by paralleling more cells, but the battery gets larger and heavier.

Keep in mind a (summarized) phrase from Dogman: "a used battery is worth nothing / $0 until proven otherwise".

If they are for the bike referred to in the thread linked by A-DamW, you might need a lot of cells to do the job you need.

If you haven't already done so, you should define that job, so that you can then determine the capacity you need to get the range required, and the current capability to get the power you need, and the voltage required to get the speed you need (vs the wheel size and gearing vs motor RPM).

Last edited:
Back