What charger to use for 12S Li-Ion.?

mati

10 mW
I'm trying to make a battery pack for my ebike,
I would like to use Samsung INR18650-29E 2900mAh 8.25A, 12s6p.
After reading 45 page in the Bluetooth BMS post,
I did order the Smart Ant BMS 300A mos screen.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826820690.html
Now I need a charger(discharger?) and I'm unsure what to use for that and hope some one can point me into the right directions. Any good quality out there.?

Think u would just need a bulk power supply since u have a bms. Meanwell has a bunch of options and more reliable. Without a fan is nice and so is adjustability

If you want the charger to handle balancing for you, you are better off building two 6S packs and joining them in series for use discharging.

This would allow you to use a quality "hobby charger" like Graupner, FMA/Revolectrix, iCharger (Junsi), or ISDT

_____
If you will use a balancing BMS or dedicated balancing gear, then you can just use any power source which outputs bulk voltage

at least 49V
maximum 50.4V

ideally adjustable between those two.

With a PSU, you need to monitor V&A yourself to determine the charge stop point, maybe use a timer if you know SoC%.

A proper charger should terminate automatically, but then you need to determine its algorithm is compatible with the gear you choose to do your balancing.

As to amps current output, 2.9Ah * 6, means up to 10A is OK for fast charging, will take around 2 hours (not including balancing time).

3A or lower will take overnight, and be healthier for longevity.

I recommend Grin Satiators, not cheap but it would take a fair bit of knowledge to DIY an equivalent. Can be doubled up to charge faster.

A meanwell is great but will not shut off and if you put a timer on it it will still drain thru the charger. A 5a kingpan is what you need most of the metal case ones have a tirm pot. But can tell you which ones. Ping did sale them. Your bms is rated for charging rate which is ?

YZPOWER Auto-Stop 50,4 V battery charger can be what you are looking for. Just choose current, input and output plug. 5A could be optimal for 6p. Fan is silent.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32829834144.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.5.42fc1cdeWvSXOk

6s is tricky, its 44v. Lots of 13s, 48v chargers out there, or 14s. But a 12s charger is rare. Looks like you just got a link to one though. 8)

What will also work fairly cheap, is better quality 13s charger. One that has a voltage adjustment pot inside it, so you can tweak it down to 12s voltage of your choice.

Of course a satiator would work great, but they cost a lot. Worth every penny if you get into this deeply. But one of the better 13s chargers from a decent vendor should work fine. Just don't buy a 30 buck plastic case charger, because often they don't have an adjustment pot.

Nice thing about the RC Hobby category, is lots of flexibility, one charger for infinite variety of future pack choices.

6S is super common, as is 8S, 10S a bit less so, and usually 1S, 2S, up to the max count is not an issue.

Can charge or discharge to whatever per-cell voltage desired, capacity benchmark vs a gentler normal cycling "Full" vs storage.

Periodic SoH, charge/discharge and resistance testing, export data to PC for graphing.

And precision balancing every cycle if desired, without depending on BMS for that, checking live on each cell/group.

Only downside is the need to split higher-voltage pack, as in 2* 6S to get a 12S pack.

And higher initial price of course

Up to 14S but pricey

Graupner Polaron Pro 500W, 14S

Also
https://www.pp-rc.de/pulsar.htm?SessionId=&a=catalog&p=6

Schulze 636, discontinued

Chargery C4012B 

1S-12S battery at 1A-40A 1500W max

DC source (10-30V) max 20A 500W

Discharge : 0.1-40A 100W max

Balance current: 1.2A per cell

DC and AC source can be connected at the same time

Can act as a PSU

http://www.chargery.com/C4012B.asp
manual at bottom

Chargery C10325 can charge 4-24 cell

______
Still think splitting the pack into 2* 6S is the more practical way to go.

If you want the charger to handle cell/group balancing

So many chargers to choose from, I almost can't decide which one to buy.
I'm in the price range of the Grin Satiators and I feel most comfy to buy that charger as it seems like a good safe quality that will last for a while.

john61ct said:
Good idea thank you for that, I think I will follow your advice.

mati said:
john61ct said:
Good idea thank you for that, I think I will follow your advice.
Well the **reason** to do that is to be able to use a full-featured RC hobby charger for cell balancing.

mati said:
So many chargers to choose from, I almost can't decide which one to buy.
I'm in the price range of the Grin Satiators and I feel most comfy to buy that charger as it seems like a good safe quality that will last for a while.
Whereas this is an ideal charger for when you do **not** want the charger to do any balancing, relying on the BMS or a dedicated balancer for that.

And splitting into 2* 6S would also not be necessary.

Of course you **can** do both, use the Grin for daily usage charging, not worrying about balancing until it becomes necessary, then doing it as a maintenance routine.

Just checking you understand they're usually different paths to take.

Had one thunderpower 1220 it went south so returned it and brought a new one so have two both can't boot them up they try. They start then go South

Back