What did you cook today??

_Chris_ said:
dh-paule said:
Kartoffelbrei, Bratwurst and Sauerkraut ;)
lol does that have an english interpretation.
for me: "yum"
for you: "yuck"
;)

Sancho's Horse said:
Amberwolf, I thought I might have hit the ebike hauling pictures thread. :D

I occassionally get screenfused on these tablets. Nope, not another case of screenfusion, that is chilli on the back of a bike. :mrgreen:

Nice.
i thikn i'd need more straps. :lol:

_Chris_ said:
dh-paule said:
Kartoffelbrei, Bratwurst and Sauerkraut ;)
lol does that have an english interpretation.

looks like this:

71782.jpg

The fingers said:
Add a couple of olives for a smiley face. :)
And a good Bamberg beer! :wink:

Yum to me, KF

Tofu Stir fry.

Fed the kids canned spaghetti tacos.

Sorry no pics, it's already in my tummy.

Couple pounds of frozen chicken breast, uncut. Place in pan with 1/2" of bacon grease (left in pan from bacon cooked previous day, kept in fridge after it had cooled, so dogs wouldn't find it and clean the pan off for me ;)).

Place a couple cups of dried rice in a bowl with about 3-4 cups of water, cover, and put in microwave on "rice" setting. (you can cook it on the stove if you want, but I only have two working burners right now, and the other one will be in use shortly, plus this ensures I can't burn the rice if I get pulled away from cooking by the dogs).

My electric stove is wierd, with bigger burners having to be on much higher setting than the smaller burners, even though they actually are the same resistance elements (just a wider-gapped spiral to make them larger). Doesnt[ matter which knobs they're connected to, either. Anyway, so I fry it up on what should be a bit above medium on most stoves, same as I fry up my bacon (always thick-cut). Fry until it's just barely no longer frozen inside, turning over every few minutes.

At that point, drain all but 1/16" or less of grease, then add a large dollop of sesame seed oil to the grease, and cut up the chicken while it continues to fry. I use scissors (a pair kept specifically for food), that I simply cut it while it's cooking, picking up with a fork if needed. First into 1" or so cubes, then adding some garlic salt (garlic, salt, parsley), stirring it up pretty much continously at this point. Later, just as it is finishing up frying to a bit of golden brownness, I cut it up down to about 1/4" to 1/2" bits.

Just before the chicken reaches the unfrozen point, start cooking up some onions diced to 1/4" over on the other burner, at the same tempeerature, in margarine. I'd do it in butter but I don't have any (but I do have about 15lbs of margarine left out of the 20 I started with a year or something ago). Let them get just to the very slightly charred edges point, then add half a 16oz bag of frozen "stir fry" veggie mix (carrots, snow peas, celery, red (bell?) peppers, mushrooms, onions, broccoli, and I forget what else) and let that fry up for a little while, just till I can see the carrots start to change color, then turn it off and let it cool.

By this time the rice is usually done and cooling to edible temperatures, and has absorbed all the water left. I take it out and start adding the veggies to it.

Chicken is usually also done and turned off at this point. Add a couple tablespoonfuls of sugar sprinkled over the chicken, and stir it up and spoon it over the veggies and rice.

Eat up. Nommy.

"egg rolls"

Start some rice cooking int eh microwave just like the previous recipe above, so it will finish by the time the rest is done.

Had some premade hamburger patties and superthin sliced philly steak from the American Discount Foods place (lots of odd stuff there, mostly restaurant supply type stuff or excess grocery store stuff near expiry); chopped it up teensy bits and fried up with some black pepper and garlic salt, with the cover on the pan to keep it juicy. Set that aside in a big bowl.

While that's frying, chopped up teensy bits (1/8"-1/4") of onion, and fry that in margarine on the other burner. As it finishes, to teh point of just starting to black the edges, dump in some frozen stirfry veggie mix (same kind as the previosu recipe). As they cook, start cutting them up into teensy bits too. (unless you've got something to chop them up frozen, or feel like thawing htem first, etc; its' just faster this wya for me).

While it's cooking then cut up 1/2 to 3/4 of a green bell pepper into teensy pieces like the onion, and put that into the veggie mix. Keep cooking and stirring until it's as done as you like (I wait for carrots to turn lighter color).

Those will be finished a while after the hamburger, and then at that point you can toss in some frozen chopped spinach and turn off the burner, stir and cover it so it just thaws the spinach and warms it all up while you prep the sauce.

First put enough margarine or oil of your choice into a saucepan (I just reuse the one I cook the meat in, since it's still warm-to-hot at this point) and set the burner high enough to get that to frying temperature.

While tthat's heating, then put about four tablespoons of sugar into a small microwaveable cup (coffee cup works), then about 1/4 cup of water. Stir and let sit while you cut an orange in half, then squeeze both of those into the cup (or use orange juice if you like). Squeese 1/4 of a lemon int here too, more if you like tart vs sweet for your sauce. Add a dash of paprika and salt. If you like watery dipping sauce, just heat this nearly to boiling in the microwave, and re-stir to thoroughly mix it all. If you like sticky sauce, then before heating, add 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum powder, sprinkling very slowly into it while stirring (if you dump it in you just get a huge unstirrable lump). If you like thick sauce, use the whole teaspoonful. You should end up with about 1/2 a cup or so of dipping sauce.

While the sauce is heating, dump all the veggies into the bowl with the meat, and stir it all up.

Byt the time the sauce and stuff is done, it's time to start wrapping and frying the rolls. Put three heaping forkfulls of filling onto the end of a roll wrap, (I like to use the thick ones for this; if I am making little won-ton style bite-size pieces I use the thin "pastry" ones). Form the edges of the wrap so 1/2" or so of it, maybe 3/4", folds in on each side and overlaps the filling, which should be about an inch from one end of the wrap. Roll up the wrap over the filling and down to the end, then place it in the frying oil in the pan withteh fold-side down (so it will cook enough to not unroll as you do the rest). Put it at one edge of the pan.

Fill the next roll, then roll over the first one in the pan toward the middle by one roll-width. Put the next roll in where the first was. Keep doing this so that as you roll up each new one you're making a "conveyor belt" of cooking rolls, and each one will be done as it reaches the other side of the pan (I use a 10" or 12" I think it is; holds 5 cooking at once).

Put each one into a bowl or plate as you finish; if you don't like the greasy feel then put them on towel or something to absorb it, and keep rolling it on there as you add new ones to it.

Once you finish rolling them up and putting the last one into the pan, you can turn off the burner, as the heat will still cook all the rest as you roll them thru the stages. Once you're done, don't forget to move the pan off the burner or it may start smoking if the burner stays hot a while, without anything in the pan but oil.

Best with iced tea light or nil on the sweetener.

Nom nom nom.

BTW, I make LOTS of food at a time (up to several days worth) because I use it for lunch at work and for nights I get home and have no energy or time to cook something, so it's alread prepeard and I can just heat and eat. It can get boring sometimes, so I may make two or three kinds of stuff, cookign something new to be able to alternate meals. Also takes less energy and less water/soap to clean up, and less total time to cook a lot of something than to cook the same amount in several small meals. Wherever I can save time on stuff I'd rather not be doing, I try to, so I can spend it on things I enjoy. (I love eating what I cook and discovering new thngs/ways to do it, but the actual cooking part is not as much fun, especialy since there are so many things I want/need to do that I simply don't have time for).

For the above, I usually only roll and fry as many as I can eat at that sitting, and the rest stays in a bowl in the fridge until the next mealtime cuz already-fried rolls will absorb moisture out of the filling and get all mushy. I like them crunchy. :)

EDIT: made the rest tonight, and took a couple pics.
IMG_6768.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6769.JPG
    IMG_6769.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,972
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXZLkpanTvI

Interesting thread, quite a few here like Chili, so I'll post my favourite Chili con carne spice mix (last time I tried it was a few days ago, but no pics):

Spice mix for about 20 servings:

8 Tbls mild red pepper (bell pepper) powder
as much hot chili powder as you can stand, normal would be 3 Tbls
4 Tbls cumin (indian name for Asia shops: Jeera - Caraway or other substitutes will not work)
4 Tbls oregano
4 Tbls salt (or to taste)
2 Tbls (each) black and white pepper
2 Tbls 100% pure baking cocoa (don't take the sugary "just mix with milk" stuff, a good substitue would be >80% cocoa dark chocolate)
1 Tbls pimento
1 tsp clove powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder

That mix makes definitely the best Chili I've ever had, if you think your Chili mix is fine, try experimenting by adding the cocoa and/or the cumin, really makes a difference.

Anyone using microwaves to destroy their food and health, please take a look:

"When it comes to microwave ovens, the price for convenience is to compromise your health. In this article, I will review what we know about the effects microwaves on your food and on your body."
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/18/microwave-hazards.aspx

Cheers!

I just received my deep fryer today (that I picked from the assortment of mostly junk that was in my "award" catalog for surviving 5 years at my present job. It's the same unit as on this page:
http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-D14522DZ-Dual-4-Liter-Fryer/dp/B000F2JJNM
though that's not where it's from, and thankfully doesn't cost me anything (other than the sanity lost in those 5 years).

Haven't unboxed it yet. Gonna see about getting some oil for it while I'm out and about tomorrow. I would guess peanut oil might be good for this?

What would any of you suggest?

Primarily I will be frying chicken, egg rolls, stuff like that. But I dunno what else I might use it for yet. :)

just received my deep fryer today (that I picked from the assortment of mostly junk that was in my "award" catalog for surviving 5 years at my present job. It's the same unit as on this page:
http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-D14522DZ ... B000F2JJNM
though that's not where it's from, and thankfully doesn't cost me anything (other than the sanity lost in those 5 years).

Haven't unboxed it yet. Gonna see about getting some oil for it while I'm out and about tomorrow. I would guess peanut oil might be good for this?

What would any of you suggest

Primarily I will be frying chicken, egg rolls, stuff like that. But I dunno what else I might use it for yet. :)][/quote]

Amberwolf don't listen to Ypedal when he tells you to sell it, a deep fryer is not only an essential element in any decent kitchen from an epicurean perspective, it is totally a victim of the fat Nazis. If the oil is clean, heated properly, and the food cooked at the right temperature, it is actually a surprisingly unfatty way to eat food.

Having said that there is a bunch of research showing that high heat cooking is bad and causes cancer, but then again, I think I remember reading somewhere about a convincing correlation between anal sex and reduced life expectancy but I have always got balls deep in sphincter at any opportunity and I seem to be AIDS free.

Lay off the nut oils though in a fryer, nut oils take extreme heat well, but as Ypedal counsels, the best oil for deefrying is canola - that is pretty much without doubt. If you can't get canola, get a polyunsaturated oil of some kind, I would personally deep fry with something like grapeseed over peanut oil, but whatever. Peanut oil is awesome for stir-frying. I know you Americans love your palm oil, but just stay ways from that shit at all costs.

Deep frying is a forgotten art. It is pilloried by the café latte set, but that is because they are stupid and weak.

My only advice to you Amberwolf is to treat the deepfryer like a whorehouse, or possibly like the European currency, it is a fantastic object, but don't look at or desire it too much, because it is in fact just that, fantastic.

But in the meantime, before your habit gets to the jones, try out the challenge me and my mates used to set ourselves - "What CAN;T you deepfry?"

If Turkey's so good why do we only eat it once a year?Chips are good, we eat chips everyday but you don't hear people talking about how good chips are...

I successfully cooked more egg rolls. I also tried deepfrying just a piece of steak, but that was a failure. Edible, but barely.

Then I had my first dramatic failure: an exploded burrito.
IMG_6817.JPG

Actually, it's just unwrapped--it didnt' stick together for some reason, even holding it against the screen with a spatula (trick I had to learn for the eggrolls). It's guts spewed all over pretty much instantly, sticking to the basket, going thru it into the oil bath, etc. :( Took some work to scoop out all the bits before they charred to ickiness.
IMG_6818.JPG

IT was still edible, just nto exactly a burrito anymore. :oops: Next two went fine.

Lolz wtf are you cooking ? ? ? :shock:

This is the way to go if you want to stay around at least till 60 ....And since you are all so nice to have around STOP EATING crap please :)

All this costs 12 euros.Not much.

1.Potatos -2.Zukini -3.Carrots - 4.lettuce - 5.Fresh Bread and 2 x veal stakes.
It just needs a little more attention that the deep fried crap not to bad.
Grill the veal on an oven and just boil the rest make a nice salad and there you go.

Attachments

• IMG037.jpg
    IMG037.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 2,959
  • IMG039.jpg
    IMG039.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 2,959
  • IMG040.jpg
    IMG040.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 2,958
Alastor said:
Pork in a pot with potatoes herbs and a generous amount of garlic !!!! Needs a little more time but what the hell its so yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy

Hi Al, you got a moment to supply the recipe? That really looks great.

Some carrots, rosemary in their as well - Hell yeah, just looks divine. "Pork cut" used ?

Busy trying this one -

Bamboo said:
Interesting thread, quite a few here like Chili, so I'll post my favourite Chili con carne spice mix (last time I tried it was a few days ago, but no pics):

Spice mix for about 20 servings:

8 Tbls mild red pepper (bell pepper) powder
as much hot chili powder as you can stand, normal would be 3 Tbls
4 Tbls cumin (indian name for Asia shops: Jeera - Caraway or other substitutes will not work)
4 Tbls oregano
4 Tbls salt (or to taste)
2 Tbls (each) black and white pepper
2 Tbls 100% pure baking cocoa (don't take the sugary "just mix with milk" stuff, a good substitue would be >80% cocoa dark chocolate)
1 Tbls pimento
1 tsp clove powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder

That mix makes definitely the best Chili I've ever had, if you think your Chili mix is fine, try experimenting by adding the cocoa and/or the cumin, really makes a difference.

Anyone using microwaves to destroy their food and health, please take a look:

"When it comes to microwave ovens, the price for convenience is to compromise your health. In this article, I will review what we know about the effects microwaves on your food and on your body."
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/18/microwave-hazards.aspx

Cheers!

Smells fabulous in the Slow Cooker.

(Management [aka. WIFE {washing, ironing, food, etc}) is away on conference for a whole week and I'm piling up a workload of dishes.

Love messing with 'black pot, cast iron cooking' - Low and Slow = Juicy, Nutritious and Delicious!

My next attempt is http://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-by-course/main-course/sousvide-steak/ - I just don't have the fancy kit - Gonna try it a different way.

Apologies for the babble - Still waiting for dinner - Shrooms just gone in, patiently waiting for the pot to drift in those heady aromas - Got a sweat coming my way - :mrgreen:

Born Up a Tree (Sorry -bon appetit)

PS: Anybody got a favorite recipe for "steak and kidney pie" or a different method to liver ?

Cheers

Camel here you go

1.Get a nice large pot with boiling water , after the water boils add come coarse salt and some olive oil.Cut your potatoes,carrots,zucchinis and whatever you are having and let em boil for 30 minutes.

2.Just heat your oven at 200oC put the veal stakes inside without anything no salt oil nothing...do that only when you are sure that the meat is good quality....season afterwords in your plate with salt,peper and some olive oil.Make sure not to over cook it.15 mins per side.

3.Cut the lettuce on the side and season it.

Neighbor keeps buying 6$ pieces of chocolate cake with boiled icing at the local diner, cake, easy to make.. boiled icing.... not so easy.

So, i took him up on the challenge, got a basic recipe on google search, and got to it.

1.5 cups of white sugar, 2/3 cup of water, pinch of cream of tartar . boil to 245f

boiled-icing1.JPG

Whip up 4 egg whites.. hand me down blender not quite fast enough but it got almost there....
boiled-icing2.JPG

Then slowly pour boiled sugar into eggs, whip with blender until cool ( 7 min )

FAIL...

turned out runny... tasty .. but runny... \

---------

Washed that down the drain, tried again, this time used an extra egg, ( i buy small size eggs, so not enough egg whites i figured.. ) and borrowed a better blender .. 2nd round came out better, but still not quite " mom's best " good..... must keep trying.

Back