What do you think of this Wattmeter?

geeeyejo1

1 kW
I ordered this Wattmeter on Amazon as I did not have the cash for a Cycle Analylist. Thinking I would run a length of 10ga wire from the pack to the meter and back to the controller and mount on my handlebars to monitor battery condition on the fly. Looks like it will provide necessary info on AH, voltage, etc. Any issues with this meter?
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Balance-Voltage-Analyzer-Balancer/dp/B007WQLYBO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

this is for charging the battery. nothing like a cycle analyst. you can use the turnigy wattmeter if you don't wanna use a cycle analyst. you can even mount the shunt remotely in the battery negative lead and put the meter on your dashboard. then bring the two leads from the shunt and the lead for the B+ terminal to your wattmeter on the dashboard. you put a switch in the positive lead to shut off the wattmeter so it doesn't drain the battery when not in use.

It's the same as the HK-010 Power Analyzer. It works great up to 60V. Display is not back lit so you can't see it at night. Had it on a bike until I went to 88.8V. Balancer works good too up to 6s. I keep mine on the bench to check/balance batteries.

wesnewell said:
It's the same as the HK-010 Power Analyzer. It works great up to 60V. Display is not back lit so you can't see it at night. Had it on a bike until I went to 88.8V. Balancer works good too up to 6s. I keep mine on the bench to check/balance batteries.
Thanks - should work with my 48v battery then - rarely ride at night but could likely stop and check status with a flashlight if necessary. How did you mount yours? Was thinking two zip ties - one on each end attaching unit to the handlebars either centered or off to one side...

IIRC I mounted a plate on the top tube and then used velcro to stick the meter on.

Price looks right to me. Beats just a voltmeter of course. You don't have to have a CA, but they are nice. Looks like a good plan for a budget ebike to me.

but a real wattmeter is only a few dollars more. $25 for the turnigy wattmeter. this is for balancing lipo packs for RC fliers, not for use as a wattmeter to monitor the discharge of the pack. he has a BMS so he does not need this balancer at all. if he had lipo, would be useful to charge with it.

dnmun said:
this is for charging the battery.
dnmun said:
but a real wattmeter is only a few dollars more. $25 for the turnigy wattmeter. this is for balancing lipo packs for RC fliers, not for use as a wattmeter to monitor the discharge of the pack. he has a BMS so he does not need this balancer at all. if he had lipo, would be useful to charge with it.
This is a charger? Not according to the description. It's a real wattmeter with lower voltage (60V) and lower current (100A) support. Better than the Turnigy Wattmeter due to the addition of the balancer.

Looks like a good product at a good price. No personal experience though.

Yes, It's a real watt meter. Identical to this in function.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6mvm3osjPw

Doubt that it's truly weatherproofed. But you can do stuff to it to make it weatherproof and reliable in wet conditions.

It displays real time battery voltage, amp draw, watt usage, and ah used. It does not store anything for later viewing. IOW's if you want to know your max amp draw, you need to look at it while it's happening. Ditto for watts. AH usage is reset to 0 when power is removed. For me, none of that info is important. All I care about is the state of my battery. I have a 40A controller, so I know my max draw will never be more than 40A. Running 24s I also know my max watt usage will never exceed 4kw. I don't need to know or care what it is when I'm riding. That's why all I use is a volt meter on the bike now. I left an HK-010 on the 14s trike I built. I don't want the hassle of anything that big on my bike again.

If you watch the video, all it's functions are explained.

wesnewell said:
It displays real time battery voltage, amp draw, watt usage, and ah used. It does not store anything for later viewing. IOW's if you want to know your max amp draw, you need to look at it while it's happening.
Thanks. For me the Turnigy Watt Meter is better then. I love its ability to record Ap, Wp, Wh and the support of external power so all data are retained.

if you put the remote shunt from jeremies thread into the battery negative lead, then it will save the lowest voltage and max current readings. that will allow you to diagnose the cause when the BMS cuts out. if you use the shunt in the P- lead from the BMS then when the BMS shuts off, either for LVC or for overcurrent protection, then the wattmeter loses its ground and loses it's memory because the P- lead has opened.

if you install the shunt in the battery negative lead, between the BMS and the B- terminal of the pack, then the wattmeter will retain power after the BMS shuts off. this is where it helps to use a switch in the positive lead from the B+ terminal.

also, jeremy did not talk about it, but you can use his remote shunt setup to measure the current flowing back into the battery when charging.

since the turnigy will only measure when the current goes through the shunt in one direction, if you reverse the leads from the remote shunt that go up to the meter, then by reversing the leads, the shunt will then record the flow of current into the pack, instead of out as normal.

when charged, re-reverse the leads to the normal orientation and use it as the discharge meter. this is what justin is able to do without reversing the leads on the cycle analyst. gotta have that switch in the positive lead to the meter though or it will drain the pack because it bypasses the BMS.

so that would be only three small wires, 26G is ok, from the pack up to the meter. put the switch next to the meter. if you remove the battery from the bike regularly, make a three terminal plug for the battery to meter leads to plug in.

if the three terminals are in a row, a symmetrical plug, then put the red B+ lead in the center, and you can reverse at that plug. one way the leads are connected normal, reverse the plug and the shunt appears reversed to the meter for charging.

so it has to be a symmetric plug not polarized.

geeeyejo1 said:
I ordered this Wattmeter on Amazon as I did not have the cash for a Cycle Analylist. Thinking I would run a length of 10ga wire from the pack to the meter and back to the controller and mount on my handlebars to monitor battery condition on the fly. Looks like it will provide necessary info on AH, voltage, etc. Any issues with this meter?
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Balance-Voltage-Analyzer-Balancer/dp/B007WQLYBO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I've used those exact wattmeters on many bikes and they work pretty well. Obviously they're not waterproof, so you need some polythene sheet to use them in the rain.

It's very easy to remove the shunts from them so that you don't have to run heavy wires to your handlebars. There's a series of photos here, which show how to do it. If you click on the "Media Info" on the right, you'll get some instructoins. Photos are in reverse order,
http://s451.beta.photobucket.com/user/d8veh/library/Watt%20meter?#/user/d8veh/library/Watt%20meter?&_suid=135687273771204121835742912347
You can also make a nice bracket like this:
SANY0085.jpg

Back