What do you want to see in a hybrid conversion kit?

Persanity

100 mW
Hello,
My name is Aaron Coach,I am the founder and CEO of a hybrid conversion company named R³ Technology. We use existing hybrid and electric vehicle products developed by the large auto companies along with a "trade secret" process I developed that lets us rapid prototype stamped metal parts for replacing the existing parts of any vehicle. We are currently developing what will either be a service or possibly a DIY kit.
I was hoping to receive feedback on what would be more attractive to customers. A complete conversion process done at a shop? Or, A semi-universal DIY kit that will fit 99% of vehicles without modification to the DIY system or vehicle?
The one-year goal is to offer both service and product, But I need to pick one to start with. R³ Technology plans to eventually have at least one conversion garage per state for ease of access to the service. The conversion service would be all inclusive while the kit could either come with or without the power system used in complete conversions.
Both the service and kit would be partially "future proof" by using modular adapters and sub-assemblies. The price point on the conversion and kit have not been decided yet as R³ Technology is still in negotiations with auto parts manufactures over volume purchases.

So to reiterate, Would you be more likely to purchase a DIY kit to turn your car into a hybrid or pure electric vehicle (pure electric is possible with our kit,just don't reuse your cars gas engine in DIY conversion process, (but then you would need to purchase a multi-thousand dollar battery system)) or have a shop professionally transform your liquid fuel only vehicle to liquid fuel-electric operation while still retaining all original safety features of said vehicle.

That has always been the long term goal of R³ Technology, I am curious as to what is a more appealing option short term.

I would be interested in a Techno-crat DIY homebrew to either hybrid or hopefully plug in hybrid, for a ford Taurus, which had millions sold.
would be nice to upgrade intown 20mph to 40mph...

However 95% of folks would not have that capability, and would prefer a shop turnkey conversion with post sale support.

Try http://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html for another view

best

d

I'd like to buy a new set of wheels that adds electric assist & regen braking to my existing car. I'd buy the battery pack separately, since they are commodity, upgradable items.

I studied ways to convert my VW diesel to run on fry oil. The most successful firms offered only kits. The customer could find his own mechanic to do the conversion if desired.
A guy installing his own kit will be more tolerant of the inevitable glitches associated with the rollout of a new, universal kit. His labor is not a cost to him. A commercial shop must maintain a bottom line, so they will be less likely to work with you on the glitches. Just my opinion.

Back