What happens if controllers can supply 1000's of amps?

zombiess

10 MW
Imagine that there is a breakthrough where now it's possible to regulate and control 1000's of amps for a reasonable cost. What options does this open up? Don't limit the thoughts to just motors, think broadly as well.

Right now it appears that most controllers are limited to <1000A. If there were controllers/inverters available that could supply say, 2000A RMS continuous with a supply voltage of up to 144V or possibly even higher, what might happen?

What are you thinking we'd use for conductors to handle that?

I expect they'd be rather large; I don't know what gauge off the top of my head. ;)

At this point conductors don't matter, it's a detail. Assume that all issues have been handled and it's now possible to control 1000's of amps.

Well, maglev would certainly be easy, for just about anything, even car-sized vehicles. Not just hovering, but exact precise control (assumign the controllers can do that with the current), both for positioning and speed.

Would make a space elevator easily possible, if we had the materials to build the cable from.

Might make for better magnetic imaging of large objects, both internal and external, if I understand correctly how the small MRIs work.

If they can handle all that current, I guess motor inductance is a non-issue too. Then single turn motors become a reality, and the copper can be solid core for an ideal copper fill which will make motors more efficient. It also means lower voltage, and once you get below 4s or so, then there's little need for a BMS.

Reasonable (>1kA) phase current has been the missing piece of the puzzle for making high performance EVs at life-safety friendly voltages.

For an ebike, it would mean just like John said, everything can get 1t 2t motors (ideally solid bar windings) and then have amazing acceleration and efficiency AND all the top speed an EV needs while getting to run a 4s or 6s pack or whatever.

It would make it easier to get a full 750W at slow speeds. Add in some traction control and 1 HP on a bike is really fun!

Cylindrical cells the size of 24 ounce beer cans.

Unanticipated arc welding events.

Graphene nanocomposite power cords.

Massive DC contactor switches.

Drag racing would be a lot more reliable. We could stop blowing up brushes with DC motors and actually set some records. 200mph+

I understand that a DC controller power stage is much simpler, but there is currently a reliable 2000A controller available. Zilla 2k. We actually have two 4K versions that work very reliably. 250V and 4000A system. Might be a good reference for design, etc

Speaking of high-amps/low-volts, here's a project I recall from years ago. The only goal was to break a few records for fun in the drag strip, and with in the optimum configuration (using only dirt cheap components) he ended up with a 13-second 1/8th mile in a heavy 3600-lb 1964 Chevelle. All runs used a stock GM 2-speed automatic transmission, and 2.56 Posi-Traction rear end.

...Horsepower of the Electric Motor depends on how much voltage the main battery pack is, and the size of the Controller, which is now at 48 Volts & 2000 Amps or 96 Kilowatts...

24 Volt 1/8 Mile Street Conversion Nedra World Record Holder
48 Volt 1/8 Mile Modified Conversion Nedra World Record Holder
72 Volt 1/8 Mile Street Conversion Nedra World Record Holder
72 Volt 1/8 Mile Pro Street Conversion Nedra World Record Holder
96 Volt 1/8 Mile Pro Street Conversion Nedra World Record Holder

http://www.electricchevelle.com/index.html

1449275785.png

Back