What is "5-1 Communication Timeout" on a phaserunner?

I've got a V5 Phaserunner hooked up to an Ariel Rider 1000w motor (geared hub, 5:1 ratio, 16 magnets, L1019 connector wired to grin standard) and a Cycle Analyst v3 hooked up. Battery is 72v. System comes online fine, can auto-detect the motor without issue, but when I run the throttle, after about 5 seconds or so the power to the motor cuts out and I start getting a 5-1 blink. If I have the controller connected to a PC, I also see the 5-1 warning in the faults. The motor, however, no longer spins. I can see, from the PR PC dashboard that it is seeing throttle voltage and position, but it refused to spin the motor.

So -- what is "Communication Timeout" and what might be causing it?

(V6 Manual - error flash codes on second to last page)

I've got a V5 Phaserunner hooked up to an Ariel Rider 1000w motor (geared hub, 5:1 ratio, 16 magnets, L1019 connector wired to grin standard) and a Cycle Analyst v3 hooked up. Battery is 72v. System comes online fine, can auto-detect the motor without issue, but when I run the throttle, after about 5 seconds or so the power to the motor cuts out and I start getting a 5-1 blink. If I have the controller connected to a PC, I also see the 5-1 warning in the faults. The motor, however, no longer spins. I can see, from the PR PC dashboard that it is seeing throttle voltage and position, but it refused to spin the motor.

So -- what is "Communication Timeout" and what might be causing it?

(V6 Manual - error flash codes on second to last page)
Hi chuyskywalker !

I got a very similar problem here, Phaserunner V6 with Nine Continent RH212.
I was able to get the cycle analyst out of the equation, by bridging Pwr On/Off and Battery V+ on CA WP8.
So there's only my notebook, the Phaserunner and the RH212 Motor left and I got the same problem.
Did you ever get an answer what "Communication Timeout" means ?
Communication between Phaserunner and Motor or communication between Phaserunner and notebook ?

There's no communication between the controller and anything, except for your computer. The CA doesn't communicate with anything either (except the computer during setup).

The PRv6 does have the option to communicate with certain displays, if it is setup to do so, but since you are not using one I think the problem you are seeing is the setup program to/from PR not working correctly...but if this is the case it will only occur when trying to communicate between setup program and controller. If you see this error in normal use, then either the controller is setup wrong and is expecting to talk to/from a display, or some other fault has happened in the controller.

For the setup program comm issues, there is a problem ebikes.ca has noted elsewhere that sometimes the TRS/TRRS plug on the controller isn't working right, but you can use an adapter from the WP8 plug to the serial-USB device instead. (they carry them but you could also use the info they have on the various connectors / devices to make your own).

Back