• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What kind of helmet do you use?

WoodlandHills said:
Chalo said:
I guess riding like an adult citizen isn't on your agenda.
Good lord no! Why would I want to do that now?
[grumpybastard]
Because falling down sucks, and you never come back quite as good as before? Because you share the roads and outdoors with others? Because riding like an idiot is only excusable for an idiot? Call me crazy, but I find out very satisfying to learn how not to screw up. Exercising mastery beats the crap out of getting busted up chasing dork jollies.
[/grumpybastard]

20-30 years ago I rode with a helmet, mainly because my wife insisted our kids did and I'm of the "do as I do" type rather then the "do as I say" but... I never rode bikes with a helmet as a kid (didn't exist) and I no longer do so now (kids all growed-up and can do what they will).
Rarely riding faster than 15mph, I wear a florescent yellow reflective baseball cap and noise-canceling headsets because (large) vehicle tires are annoyingly, painfully LOUD and I often ride adjacent to them

Hey, you don't have to ride like a jerk to have shit happen. But you can greatly reduce your chances of an accident, by riding like an adult.

For example, in 57 years no car has ever been allowed to hit me. But I certainly have crashed accidentally, which is quite different from crashing because you are riding on the edge of control. Accidents are always a surprise, crashes are always something you know is going to happen. Apples and oranges.

My worst accident ever I was simply having a drink from a water bottle while coasting 15 mph. My fault entirely, but I didn't expect to drop the bottle, and have it jam in the fork sending me over the bars. Few of my hooligan riding crashes ever scuff the helmet, I can feel it that control is going away, and it's usually more of a bail or lay down than a true crash. Ready for it, easy to protect the head as you go down. That kind of riding is on dirt too, so a bit softer to land on usually. When I ride asphalt like that, (racetrack) full body armor baby, you know a laydown is going to happen.

But just as likely, you are riding at 10 mph, like a responsible adult, and some texting jerk has a wheel in the bike lane. You can dive for your life with a hat on, or not.

I just find crashes or accidnts far more comfy when I have the silly hat on. But I never expect a bike helmet to do much more than that. If that car hits you, you are going to squash both helmet and the egg inside. But sometimes you do drop the eggs, and some of them don't break because of the packaging. I'll settle for that.

The same day I broke down and bought my first ever bike helmet, a motorcyclist was killed locally when he "lost control" (no details given, no hints of him being impaired)) on a straight and level section of city street. The paper reports he died of extensive head injuries, and that he wasn't wearing a helmet. Nothing unusual in this of course, but it seemed serendipitous it happened when it did for me anyway. Now that I have one, we'll see how often I wear it......riding down my dirt road 1.5 miles to get the mail, probably not, going over 30 down the busiest street in town, hell yeah.

A pilot buddy who was strapping in his sports car one day years ago, made a comment I never forgot. This was back when seat belts were not widely used by most. He said that the reason he uses one is that every time he puts it on, it reminds him he's about to do something dangerous.

One thing I've always wondered: as bicycle helmets are made to a government testing standard, it's likely that no matter how much you spend on a fancy Giro (or similar) expensive helmet, you may not be getting any better crash protection than a regular $15 helmet from Walmart. :roll:

Chalo said:
WoodlandHills said:
Chalo said:
[grumpybastard]
Because falling down sucks, and you never come back quite as good as before? Because you share the roads and outdoors with others? Because riding like an idiot is only excusable for an idiot? Call me crazy, but I find out very satisfying to learn how not to screw up. Exercising mastery beats the crap out of getting busted up chasing dork jollies.
[/grumpybastard]

Not everyone chooses to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death. I can understand why you are more careful than most, though. Physics are not on your side... F=ma

Just take off the Bell Sticker, or on the higher end bell helmets, put a sticker over the bell logo, Like ... a McLaren sticker .

The latest version of the Bell Super , the Super 2 , you can order with a removable chin guard.
( the chin guard does not work on the 2014 and earlier bell super , I have already checked )

friendly1uk said:
Can't wear bell helmets in the UK. To call someone a bell is an insult. A shortened version of calling them a bellend or penis. They seem to sell still but to people that must lead a very sheltered lifestyle.

The yakkay brand has had my intertest for ages. Another to concider is the lazer cityzen https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/lazer_cityzen_urban_helmet-ID_61002?gclid=CN3MzZmYsMsCFZEK0wodeiUIOA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Statistically car passengers would benifit more from helmets than cyclists. I don't bother. Though gloves are an absolute must and I have looked at elbow socks.

Chalo said:
WoodlandHills said:
Chalo said:
[grumpybastard]
[/grumpybastard]

As long as the DH MTBers all keep passing me on the descents I'll not be the only "idiot" out there! The only place I can pass the real lycras is on the steepest hills so there's a lot of even faster idiots around to keep me company.
BTW How do you ever "learn not to screw up" without pushing your limits? Indeed how do you even find your limits without being what you describe as an "idiot"? How does one improve ones skills off-road without spending time at the very edge of your personal skill limits?

It sure seems like anyone faster than you is by definition an "idiot", will that be changing as you get older too and get even slower?

eSurfer said:
I was wondering if any of you seasoned eBikers wore a helmet that was different than the standard bike helmets that lycra guys wear. I've been wearing my helmet like that, but I'm beginning to feel silly wearing it sitting upright on my beach cruiser.

I wear a Giro MTB helmet with visor which I probably should have replaced since it's been about 7 years. For the last 20 years, for commuting I've worn a MTB helmet with visor because I don't move fast enough to really feel comfortable on a road helmet (pedal-powered, not EV).

From the above, I recommend you do a search for an "urban commuter" helmet, or go to a bike store that caters to upright bike ("dutch bikes") or a very complete bicycle store or superstore (one that sells a lot of different types), especially in major cities. Most urban helmets are either tamed-down MTB helmets or have a "skater" helmet style which does come at the price of some vents and lightness, neither of which matter on an eBike.

Sweethome recommends the Specialized Echelon which is a road helmet based on fit. For the most part, you can get that same fit on Specialized's "Fitness" line, including one model with an integrated LED tail-light.

These are Trek/Bontrager's versions.

This is Giro's line. Of special note is the Sutton which has clip for mounting a rear LED tail-light and portholes designed to loop a U lock through.

Nutcase helmets are very common at West Coast cities, they're known for having interesting patterns on retro-inspired helmets.

Bern is literally a skater helmet modified for cycling. They're known for introducing a small baseball-cap visor to the helmet, though a number of others do that style to.

Torch is an Indigogo-started urban cycling helmet that as integrated LED lights on the front and back with a USB charger.

There's also Danish company like Yakkay, which makes the retro helmets where you put on a cap covering.

I really recommend you go to the dealer that has some of these in stock, sometimes you'll find a helmet you think looks great in theory, but it won't fit right or look right on your head. And these sorts of helmets have become more and more common. For instance, near me, Public Bikes stocks Yakka, Nutcase, and Bern, and many LBS's will stock at least a couple urban helmet models of any company they're a dealer of.

Another vote for a Bell Super 2. I've got the MIPS version, and the airflow is surprisingly good. Significantly better than any of the cheaper helmets I had previously. The main drawback is that it's huge (but at least its comfortable). I bought it for road and mountain biking (because mountain biking is about "when" you crash).

I crashed yesterday in my Bell Super 2 at 20 mph or so in a rut on a well traveled dirt public street on my way to a trail and was flung over the handlebars landing on my head and shoulder breaking a collarbone. The chin bar showed enough scratches to make me think I would have had at least some facial or jaw injury and the helmet had some deep scratches too although the styrene padding was not crushed or damaged in any way. I had the MIPS adjusted pretty tightly and it worked as advertised letting the helmet move while cradling my head. The ER doc said I had no head injury.

Coincidentally, I had an identical crash in '91 on an SR500 motorcycle at a similar speed with exactly the same result: a broken right clavicle. The Bell Super 2 was just as effective as a top of the line Arai racing helmet in exactly the same impact.

WoodlandHills said:
I crashed yesterday in my Bell Super 2 at 20 mph or so in a rut on a well traveled dirt public street on my way to a trail and was flung over the handlebars landing on my head and shoulder breaking a collarbone. The chin bar showed enough scratches to make me think I would have had at least some facial or jaw injury and the helmet had some deep scratches too although the styrene padding was not crushed or damaged in any way. I had the MIPS adjusted pretty tightly and it worked as advertised letting the helmet move while cradling my head. The ER doc said I had no head injury.

Coincidentally, I had an identical crash in '91 on an SR500 motorcycle at a similar speed with exactly the same result: a broken right clavicle. The Bell Super 2 was just as effective as a top of the line Arai racing helmet in exactly the same impact.

Wood, I'm so sorry to hear that. A broken collarbone is a frustrating, slow and painful recovery. Thoughts and prayers are going out for you. At least it seems you have a great helmet.

Thanks, last time it took 6 mo to fully heal, I doubt it will be quicker this time :cry: at least I'll be able to resume building if not riding in a month or so. And SWMBO has insisted that I take an MTB school to learn and improve skills, now I have to find one that will take a student with an ebike. It was either that or promise to act my age :lol:

WoodlandHills said:
Thanks, last time it took 6 mo to fully heal, I doubt it will be quicker this time :cry: at least I'll be able to resume building if not riding in a month or so. And SWMBO has insisted that I take an MTB school to learn and improve skills, now I have to find one that will take a student with an ebike. It was either that or promise to act my age :lol:

I can relate. I have been an avid mountain biker for many years, ascending and descending an average of 1400 feet per ride, but I'm getting to a point where I'm afraid to go. As I approach 60 in a few years, I feel myself slowing down. Slower reflexes, and balance that is OK, but not as good as it used to be, has me feeling like I might crash and really hurt myself. It's a bummer because I love MTB.

Back