What Kit to Buy???

samoloh

10 W
Hello,
I am new to electric bikes and I am gonna be buying my first conversion kit,
from what i have gathered i would prefer a brushless gearless hub motor most likely 48v
am 5"5 and about 60kg would i need a 500watt-1000watt motor?
and I would like to ocassionally go up to 30mph - 40mph at approimately 20mile range?
I am looking to spend less than to slightly over $1000 including battery
I need advice

Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save ut. This will help people help you. Example: Houston, TX, USA. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations and you will waste your time and others. Thank you.

@Wes: You're welcome!

samoloh said:
Hello,
I am new to electric bikes and I am gonna be buying my first conversion kit,
from what i have gathered i would prefer a brushless gearless hub motor most likely 48v
am 5"5 and about 60kg would i need a 500watt-1000watt motor?
and I would like to ocassionally go up to 30mph - 40mph at approimately 20mile range?
I am looking to spend less than to slightly over $1000 including battery
I need advice

Being that you're in CA. Go to ebikes.ca store they have a special on 9C hub motors and they are in Canada. Grab one and a LYEN controller that's as reliable as you're gonna get.

I think their wheels are 190$ plus shipping. Depending on what you want you might need a 12fet Lyen controller which is ~130$ or so. The rest is battery.

Surprised to be the first to say, you'll need more money or less speed.

25 ish mph and 20 mile range is very possible, for about a thou. For example, a 9 continent or similar motor, 48v 20 amps controller will get you 27mph, but you slow to 25 mph mid ride on a 20 mile trip.

40 mph is doable with the same motor, with 72v, but it will melt between 10and 15 miles into the ride. Not to mention, 20 miles at 40 mph takes a more than a thou just for the battery.

Most of the suggestions above are what I'd say too. The battery you might have to go with a less reputable vendor to stay under $1000. You will need 48v 15 ah, of it. Lifepo4, or one of the Lithium manganese types.

Get a typical 28mm magnet direct drive motor kit. 9c from Grin, muxus from EM3 ev, conhis or whatever from some ebay schmuck, whatever.

You will get close to 30 mph, and range will be 20 miles with a 48v 15 ah battery. Then start saving up, cuz you will get hooked on the bike like the rest of us, and spend a LOT more on a good 35mph + build.

Dogman gives great advice. Not sure if I can add to it.

I think you need to rethink speed. 40mph is really fast on a bicycle. Lots of guys are doing it, but it requires a lot of thinking and planning. 30mph is about the upper limit of 48-volt, and to go faster will eat up the gas, so-to-speak.

Obviously, like gasoline, speed affects range. Like in a car, you can go 95mph down a Montana highway, but your gas millage will be horrible. Electric bikes are similar.

For your amount of money (a thousand dollars) you can build a fine electric bicycle that will last you for years and years. If you want 30mph and a 20 mile range, your budget is perfectly reasonable.

I'll offer my advice (but I'm not an expert. I'm just someone who has learned a lot over the last three years, but Dogman and others are far more experienced and have a greater education in physics, electricity, and mechanics.

1. Choose your bike wisely. Really think about what kind of riding you want to do. City riding, gravel trails, grass, hopping curbs, dirt, mud. There are many types of riding. Clearly, a road bike made electric will be very fast and efficient, but won't do well on grass, sand, etc. A mountain bike with thick, wide tires will handle all terrain well, but won't be as fast (friction of times, etc.).

If you are commuting mostly, I'd recommend going for comfort. I have a Trek Pure (very similar to Electra Townies), and it's about the most comfortable ebike I can imagine. I had mine wired up for a while and really enjoyed riding it that way (the kit is now on another bike).

2. Consider a kit from America, be it Canada or the U.S. You'll get excellent support from Ebike.ca or ebikekit.com. Both are outstanding companies who are very responsive. You CAN get all parts you need much cheaper by ordering from China (a lot of people use Cellman from ES whose website is emissions-free.com). I don't have experience ordering from him, but I've heard nothing but positive reviews. His batteries are pricey, but no more so than others of equal quality. His motor kits are inexpensive, however.

I would consider a complete kit from one of the three, because that way you have everything you need at one time to get it done right.

Ebikekit.com and Ebike.ca offer complete kits, as does emissions-free. They can all provide what you need for a good price. My favorite is EbikeKit.com, because Jason (the owner) has been extremely responsive to my emails (never failed to get back to me promptly). I've purchased two kits from him.

There are other vendors as well.

3. Don't rush into your purchase. Take time to learn before spending money so you don't have regrets or have to spend more than you thought you'd need.

Here's my recommended setup:

2. This motor kit (watts are actually determined by amps x volts. Motors are rated for a certain wattage, but they aren't extremely limited).
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=54 $235

3. This battery pack: http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=106

And you'll have a nice setup that will go about 30mph at top speed and keep you going for 20 miles easily, maybe more if you pedal a bit.

Good luck.

On your budget.
Motor kit. $290
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/26-Inch-Rear-PRO-901-Conversion-Kit.html?setCurrencyId=1
Batteries x 8. Configured 12s4p. $360 (wait on page for discount)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16207
2 parallel balance cables. $5
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27075__JST_XH_Parallel_Balance_Lead_6S_250mm_6xJST_XH_.html
Battery charger. $90
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-1220-charger.html?gclid=CNa3z9_N57ICFayPPAod10MAPw
Power supply for charger. $0-$100 depending on what you want.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenergy-power-supply-120-240-AC-to-30A-15v-DC-PSU-LiPo-LiFe-NiCd-NiMh-tb-450w-/251313976239
That's ~$800, leaving $200 for misc. and shipping.

thanks for all the advice i think am gonna be going with the 9c kit with upgrade to 25A controller( NC26RD_Fast) from ebikes.ca, but figuring out what battery and charger to use is the next ordeal, I think am gonna start out with something small and then upgrade to battery pack later, and how difficult is it to build ur own packs from cells and all that balance charging stuff ?

Not that difficult to do. Not that difficult to burn the house down either. It just depends on if you are a careful kind of dude, or one who would slack off, and turn a battery into a disaster.

Pretty hard to beat a safer to charge 48v 15 ah pack from Pingbattery, if you have about $650 left in the budget. Loved mine for many years. Too small a battery to save money can be a big mistake. Instead of getting 3-4 years for your $650, you might spend $400, and get six months. Easy to figure out which is cheaper then.

Almost too many battery choices to discuss, but one option that could save you money might be 36v, less speed and range, but still get 15 ah of it. The 9c kits on 36v still do quite well, about 23 mph. That's FAST for bikes, unless you are a racer.

someone just bot a complete kit from the sun-thing28 guy on ebay for about $700 as i recall. 48V 15Ah lifepo4 battery and hub motor and controller and all the trimmings delivered. he was on mateusleo's thread.

My first rc lipo pack took me about 10 minutes to build. I could build the same one now in 10 seconds. Building packs with rc lipo is as simple as plugging one into another until you reach the voltage you want.
battwiring.jpg

Yeah, make a mistake connecting up a lipo battery and all you do is scorch your fingers. It's when you damage them in a crash, or discharge and recharge them improperly that the house burns down.

Lico is pretty simple to work with, but you must have your act together. It can be a cheap way to get a smaller pack that packs big amps. But cost per mile, it can get expensive compared to lifepo4. Right now, I am running on lipo, and it's costing me double per mile compared to my ping packs. But I only forked out half as much to get going again.

You mentioned 40 mph back there, so that means eventually you will want more amps, and you will want lipo. So start studying how to handle it safely now.

You Canadians, you might be interested to know there is a guy in Canada, with a supply of A123 round cell batteries. Look in for sale new, for Tom.

Get a battery from Ping or Cellman (emissions free).

You can also go a little higher in budget and get something in Canada, and you'll have a lot of support.

Good luck and have fun. Also, find a few ES members close to you and let them help you build.

Any experience with BMS batteries, they seem to have a 48v 9ah on sale i could parallel 2 of those for 48v 18ah? Also i see the lowest option for discharge rate is 15-30 amps is that gonna burn my 25 amp controller from ebike.ca ==(Upgrade 20A controller for 25A 72V model with IRFB4110 mosfets)?

Back