What's more compact then folding bike? - SoloWheel

I cannot understand why hub-wheel + balance controller + some battery can costs > $1000

I bought airwheel X6 direct from taobao for $460 without shipping from China.
+ shipping 11kg to my country
T1s5dwFqdXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_250x250.jpg

Taobao now opened for overseas since 23.12.2013.

iperov said:
I cannot understand why hub-wheel + balance controller + some battery can costs > $1000

I bought airwheel X6 direct from taobao for $460 without shipping from China.
+ shipping 11kg to my country
T1s5dwFqdXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_250x250.jpg

Taobao now opened for overseas since 23.12.2013.
My guess above regarding the R&D, plus less employees to support (hence, direct from factory = no warehouse stocking), less promotion, inferior warranty?

Received china clone - airwheel x6
there are two paralleled 16S1P li-ion packs (60V, 67.2V charging voltage).
Other models have only 48V.

some photos
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Rollodo said:
Great photos - what is usable space in the battery compartment, wondering if it's possible to fit some LiPo in parallel for longer range?
by default 8x2x18650 pack, so free space at least 14.4cm х 13cm х 1.8cm in every side

iperov said:
Received china clone - airwheel x6
Nice. Have you tried one of these before? I, as I'm sure will others, would love to hear about your experience with the Airwheel as you put it through its paces.

no, this my first wheelbarrow.
first normal ride took 40 mins training
I feel like flying when ride, because I feel no seat or handlebar, just stand and flying

received IPS F400
almost 1000$ with ship to Russia
1.jpg

replaced tyre
2.jpg

silicon wires
3.jpg

12s lipo !
4.jpg

IPS F400 vs Airwheel x6 (both 16 inch):
+ easier to drive
+ wider pedals
+ durable plastic cover perfectly aligned without tension
+ plastic to steel by hex bolts
+ 12s lipo bigger battery
+ (?) more magnet poles
- need rear mini mudguard

after more hours of riding IPS F400, I changed my mind: airwheel x6 better :eek:

This listing has a long history of responses. That is great. I am also looking for a folding bike or similar device for carrying on planes, trains and buses and using for local transport once at my new destination. I live in Southern California and have not been able to find a local dealer for Solowheel, Airwheel or IPS F400. I have even advertised in local publications and on the net for a used device, but so far no response. Do any of you know of a place in Southern California where I could test out one of these devices and see if it is something I might want to invest in for my frequent travels.

if dealer presence in your location, price will be at least x1.5
minimal price is order direct from taobao or china

Video evidence of SoloWheel in the wild. Intending to post this for a while.

Pic from action cam video strapped to a Harley Road King end of January in Waikiki.

anyway my legs hell tired after 10-20 mins of ride
I will never use electric solo wheels

main reason is legs never moving and one point of foot keep under pressure permanently.

So why do you like the airwheel more than the F400 exactly?

I just came back from France, where I stayed for April, May and the beginning of June. I saw the Mando Footloose there and also test road the YikeBike. Both are chainless, but the YikeBike cannot be ridden like a regular bike. The Mando Footloose can be peddled, but only when the motor is running. If the battery runs out, you cannot peddle it like a standard bike. I asked if either could be brought on an airplane, both sales people said with their bike there would be no problem. I would hate to buy it and find out I couldn't bring it on the plane. I am now back in California, and still looking for a chainless folding e-bike or similar device that I can travel around the world with.
This site with Solowheel, Airwheel, Rockwheel, etc. is very interesting, but I am still looking for something I can bring on the plane and I am sure the batteries on these devices also are not allowed on passenger planes. Also, since I have been retired for over 10 years and have a number of medical problems, I don't know if I could learn to ride one of these devices or travel for an extended period of time. I am also interested in using the device for human powered transport, as pedaling is good exercise, but if I get tired I can just switch on the electric power, and get to where I am going. Still looking for a device that fits my needs, maybe I will have to invent it myself!

from solowheel site,
http://www.solowheel.eu/

The Chinese copies counterfeit the original patented Solowheel. They are called « IPS », « Mobbo », « Airwheel », « Super Wheel »

We tested these Chinese copies and can assure you that they have very bad quality. You are maintained at the beginning, a few meters after, suddenly, the machine topples over without warning and you fall down.

Tests in videos:

IPS model 101: http://youtu.be/lO1Imq-zv6g

IPS model 102, same as Mobbo: http://youtu.be/Ipn9BugftcU

You should notice that the model 103 is much less powerful, the same for Airwheel.

The turnover of these machines is related to a very low engine power and the batteries cannot deliver necessary amperage during vigorous restarts.

Moreover, the capacity when going upward is very low: under the theoretical 800W mentioned by the Chinese copies. Solowheel’s capacity is of 1000W, as mentioned.

Finally, the batteries are dangerous because they are completely flammable; recharging IPS at the 1st time started the fire accident showed as below.

Be aware of the online sellers (eBay, Priceminister, Alibaba, Amazon…)

Be aware of those unscrupulous sellers, they are easily recognizable:

They call their product as « solo wheel » or « air wheel » or « magic wheel », as if they sell a ridiculous generic product with one logo brand
They post old photos of Solowheel rolling in Oregon (the State where the American company’s headquarter is, patent’s holder of Solowheel) which does not correspond to what they sell in reality
They even hardly leave their phone number
They sell a « magic wheel » among totally different objects « sun glasses» « blenders »
They do not offer any spare parts or accessories for sale
They do not have any After-Sale service system
They do not have any official website
They sell these Chinese counterfeits by chance and even do not try them before selling (the engines are unstable and dangerous)
Their unique goal is to sell them quickly, in order to make profit. They totally ignore what they are selling.

Back