programming help, Folding bike updated to KT & need help

A folding bike came in and the battery was LiFePO4 and needed replacement, customer wanted to update the system and keep the costs low so I spec'd an update to the system as voltages aren't the same as the modern batteries.
No one offers a kit that I'm aware of that enables you to keep your motor and battery (side tangent).

I pieced together a KT "kit" from Amazon using the round waterproof connectors. Everything is installed and the throttle functions but there are still issues.
1) speed only displays when the throttle is engaged
2) PAS doesn't propel, but the sensor is firing
3) speed displayed doesn't seem accurate

Motor: B0313-20300-36-118
Display: KT LCD4
Controller: 36V 48V 750W KUNTENG(KT) 25A Brushless DC Electric Motor 9 Tube Sine Wave with Light Line Waterproof High-Speed Controller Aluminium Alloy E-Bike Brushless Motor Controller for Electric Bicycle
PAS: KT D12
Battery 36v

I would like help programming the display to be accurate and safe as the brake levers with cutoffs aren't in the budget.
I found a manual and paged through it but admittedly my patience for manuals in broken English and without effective imagery is nothing to write home about.

Display current parameters

72KHM
20"
MPH

P1 90
P2 0
P3 1
P4 0
P5 12

C1 2
C2 0
C3 8
C4 0
C5 10
C6 3
C7 0
C8 0
C9 0
C10 N
C11 0
C12 4
C13 0
C14 2
C15 6

Thanks in advance for your help!

1) speed only displays when the throttle is engaged
2) PAS doesn't propel, but the sensor is firing
3) speed displayed doesn't seem accurate

Motor: B0313-20300-36-118
Display: KT LCD4
Controller: 36V 48V 750W KUNTENG(KT) 25A Brushless DC Electric Motor 9 Tube Sine Wave with Light Line Waterproof High-Speed Controller Aluminium Alloy E-Bike Brushless Motor Controller for Electric Bicycle
PAS: KT D12
Links to the actual components and the model of bike would be very helpful, but from your description:
1. My guess is that the bike has a geared hub motor. Geared hub motors need a speed sensor in order for the controller/display to detect speed. Typically, KT controllers use one of the hall wires, combined with the wheel size, gearing, and magnet poles to calculate speed, but for geared hubs, there is no hall signal when throttle isn't applied. Some KT controllers will have a sixth pin on the hall sensor connector to read a speed signal (usually a white wire coming from the motor).
2. There are a number of ways to troubleshoot PAS issues. There is a KT D12L and a KT D12R, which mount on the left or right crank respectively. If yours just states KT D12, it's likely for the left side, but not guaranteed. Also, with units using a separated magnetic disc, disc orientation can also cause malfunctions. If it's firing, I'm assuming the sensor to disc distance is OK.
3. See #1.
Links to the components can help narrow down what the issues are. A picture of the motor might also help.

so I might not get an accurate speed on the display... I don't have any ports for a speed sensor.
what about actual limitations on the power settings (1-5 all feel the same)?
what about PAS enable? light pulses forward and does not when pedaling backward. I'm familiar with PAS polarity.

the 5-1 has provisions for a display, throttle, 2 brake levers, and a headlight
the controller has 5-1, motor, battery, PAS, and tail light

Display Amazon.com
Controller https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8NVKNGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
PAS Amazon.com
1-5 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NB9M4WR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
throttle https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KLJH874/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_3561.jpg
    IMG_3561.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
The speed sensor input on that KT controller should be in the 9 pin motor plug. Many motors (Bafang and Aikema) will integrate the sensor into the motor. Your P2 setting of 0 tells the controller there is no sensor. Try setting it to 1.

Most bafang motors send 6 pulses per turn so P2 =6. Other motors have1 pulse per rotation, so use P2=1.

If you need a speed sensor input for an external sensor,. open the controller and find the thin red, white, and black wires coming out of the motor cable. That's +5V, signal, and ground for an external sensor. I've hooked up external sensors that way in the past,

Are you testing the PAS by rotating the pedals? Holding the sensor and passing a magnet over it is problematic. You gotta have a smooth speed. You may also have the magnet disk backward or the awnaor on the wrong side of the pedals,.. Those things are strange,

I have some magnetic sensitive film, this motor has no pulsing magnets and that's fine.
I would really like some help getting the cadence to work if at all possible.
edit
Changing C1 did the trick, this one is 00-15 and 3-5 worked for me. not sure what the differences are. (didn't test higher than 5)

Last edited:
Back