• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Where to find wheelsets 26" double walled MTB

tomjasz

1 GW
I've just spent over an hour trying to find a source of proper wheel sets for my E Bike.
Alex, Weinmann or? Everyone I find is either a bolt on or disc. I need 26" 7spd rear and a 26" front lever release.

I decided I want a full wheel set to mount my new studded tires. I want to be able to easily change out wheels.

My eyes are worn out from searching. Anyone have a favorite online builder?

HELP!!

Thanks T

Couldn't find exactly what I wanted in a front wheel either for my ebike so I built my own for the first time. Fun and rewarding.
1) Alex DM24 26" rim, 36 hole. It was $30 at my lbs, but you can get it even cheaper online
2) DT Swiss 2.0 spokes. They were $72 ($2 each with nipples) at the lbs. Overpriced but they sized it for my hub (disc hub so different spoke lengths on each side)
3) DMR Revolver Hub $65 - a sealed cartridge hub that is supposed to be more maintenance free for commuting. For my next wheel I'll probably just go for a cheeper deore hub.

Turned out fine but after I built it. The lateral trueness was fine but I asked the lbs to dishe it and make it round. $30

So $197 later I have a front wheel I am very happy with. Fits my big apple 26 x 2.35 better and rides smoother. I'm using v-brakes and any wider a rim I think would need disc brakes.
I could buy the parts myself next time and put my next wheel together with a deore hub for around $85.

I read a post a while ago where I believe wesnell recommended a weimann fully built wheel for around $50. Was too wide for me to use v-brakes but looked like a solid wheel.

Best of luck.

Rim brakes, cantilever, here. To old and new to take on a wheel build. My local, sort of close, LBS, built a wheel for me for another project. I'll have to dig out the price I paid. I like to give him my business but everything is 25% more. I'm gonna pay his price for the tires because I should but being a retiree on a static income compels me to pinch pennies.

Modern double wall rims are mostly disc only. Your choice is limited because of rim brakes but there are still a few good ones out there, plus new old stock to find. You can also find a used wheel set in good condition for a good price.

How much are you willing to spend ?
Want them new ?

Building my own wheels has been one of the most useful, fun, enjoyable and money-saving skills I've gotten from my eBike journey to date. Never a befuddled "WTF" when a wheel needs truing or a spoke breaks. Plus, I can assemble what I want, how I want it and when I want it.

Danscomp is the place to order Sapim stainless spokes and for motor wheels they do have 13/14ga butted not listed on their website. Alex DM24 rims = great bargain, IMO. As long as you use a consistent number of turns when starting each spoke and subsequent tensioning - spoke wheels generally pull together very evenly.

give lynn a call he can hook you up for danm sure! http://custommotoredbicycles.com/heavy_duty_26inch_bicycle_wheels_12_g_12_gauge_stainless_spokes_black_redanodized_colored_rims_alloyfreewheel_wheels he does mostly cruiser stuff but im sure he can hook you up on a casset rim

mrfeelgooddrag26 said:
give lynn a call he can hook you up for danm sure! http://custommotoredbicycles.com/heavy_duty_26inch_bicycle_wheels_12_g_12_gauge_stainless_spokes_black_redanodized_colored_rims_alloyfreewheel_wheels he does mostly cruiser stuff but im sure he can hook you up on a casset rim
Funny I spoke with him about a center kickstand. Nothing so far fits my townie stle frame from KHS. Lynn was more than helpful. His web pages are segmented weird. One doesn't seem to link to another. Or am I missing something?

Building? Yeah, I should, but I sucked at it 50 years ago and am tired of biting off more than I can chew. Paying twice sucks. Don't want to end up like emaayan (sp?).

Back