• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Which version of cycle analyst for Magic pie 3?

greverif

1 mW
I am building a ebike with the magic pie 3 rear motor. I will use 4 6S lipos with 5000mAh each so basically 45 v 10A.

I am thinking of getting a cycle analyst for my bike and wonders which version/package I shall choose. The v2.3 ot version 3. Which package is recommended, for example v2.3 with or without shunt, or the V3 I am thinking of buying from either http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_CA.php or hrtp://www.goldenmotor.ca/categories/Cycle-Analyst/ .

What do I miss out on with the 2.3?

Depends on what you are going to use it for.

Read Teklektiks excellent manual on all the whooping features of the CAv3 here.

Good luck with your Magic Pie. I would recommend CA v3 if you ever want to over volt/amp the motor so you can keep an eye on the temperature (requires you to install a sensor, not too hard to do). You need to buy the standalone version with shunt unless you are going to use an external CA compatible controller (I do recommend that as the internal controller is known to break, although GM is quick to replace it no charge).

This would work.

Are you talking about the motor?

If it is the motor you are talking about, it really does not matter on which side the sensor is located, as long as it is on the stator. There are some who would say that close to the magnets and/or hall sensors is the right place, as these are the most vulnerable components. Others would prefer further away from the windings but still on the stator, as you won't capture any heat peaks.

Anyway, in the end, you will need to route the wires to your CA. For me it is most convenient to route them alongside the large phase wires, so I always (doh, 3 motors) use the side where the wires exit the motor.

greverif said:
Thanks, bought it and got it! Is it the side with the cables i must unscrew or is it the other side?
You definitely want to open the freewheel side of the motor since you need to route the sensor cable trough the controller cup and out that side unless you want to drill new holes. It should be possible to get a small cable trough the same hole as the phase wires, although I haven't tried this on a MagicPie 3 yet and I know it's not exactly the same as the Smartpie. I installed my senor right next to the windings as it was very convenient and will catch heat buildup quickly. You can get it close to the magnets too if you like to, but I don't believe there's much difference.

I happen to have a picture of where I put the NTC sensor in my SmartPie:
ntc-placement-thumb.jpg

The side covers can be tricky to get off as there is a liquid sealant holding it on. If you aren't afraid to damage the paint you can pry it off with a screwdriver (after removing all the bolts of course).
Do you have internal or external controller?

Back