Magic Pie Won't Run Unless I Cycle The Brake Lever

SiriusFun

1 mW
About 6 years ago, I installed a kit from EM3ev on my TerraTrike Cruiser:
52V battery, Mac 8T in 20" wheel, 40A Controller, Cycle Analyst V3.0, and Magnetic Brake Cutoffs on both levers.
All handlebar inputs were wired directly to the Cycle Analyst.

Everything has been working fine, but I removed the noisy MAC and replaced it with a Magic Pie V4 (internal controller).
The MP4 comes with a wiring harness that includes plugs for brakes, throttle, lights, horn, and a display. I determined which wire carried the throttle signal to the MP4 Controller and connected the throttle wire from the CA to that using the pass-thru on the Grin Shunt.

The good news is that the motor runs and will vary speed based on throttle inputs on the handlebars.

The bad news is that when I plug in the battery and rotate the throttle grip, nothing happens. The motor does not turn or make any noise.
What is puzzling to me is that if I pull a brake lever and then release it, the motor will start spinning and will respond to throttle inputs. There is a large deadband as I approach full throttle. When I release the throttle the motor slows down but does NOT stop. If I shutoff the main switch, everything stops, but won't go again until I pull and release the brake lever.

My throttle-in on the CA is set to 0.88V
Throttle-out is set to 3.65V
Those are the settings that worked for the MAC motor and EM3ev 40A controller.

Does anyone have an idea why the motor will not start turning until I cycle a brake lever, and why I have such a big deadband on the top end?

SiriusFun said:
The good news is that the motor runs and will vary speed based on throttle inputs on the handlebars.

The bad news is that when I plug in the battery and rotate the throttle grip, nothing happens. The motor does not turn or make any noise.

These two are contradictory, so I don't understand whether you really have a problem with that or not. :/

If it runs, it must be turning. If nothing happens, it cannot be running. So you'll need to clarify what exactly you mean by the above.

My throttle-in on the CA is set to 0.88V
Throttle-out is set to 3.65V

The throttle in and out are not supposed to be set to a single voltage. They are each set to the range of voltages that are specific to the throttle, and the controller.

Throttle in is set to the range taht you actually get from the throttle itself.

Throttle out is set to the range the controller actually responds to. If it's not marked on the controller, you would need to determine this experimentally using the diagnostic screen of the CA or a voltmeter on the throttle directly to the controller (wihout the CA connected), to find the starting (minimum) response point of the controller's response, and it's maximum response point. Then those two voltages are used for the Throttle out voltage fields, minus a tiny amount for the lowest voltage and plus a tiny amount for the highest voltage.

Back