Why is my bottom bracket unscrewing?

If pedaling loosens it, you've probably got it installed backwards. The drive side (right side) of the BB should be reverse threaded and tighten counter-clockwise, otherwise precession will work it loose. From your build pics I can't tell what sort of BB you're running. Tell us (show us?) exactly what sort of bottom bracket you're using, and what you used as the BB shell when you built the trike.

Hey Laz,
The bb and tube were cut from a donor bike. I just welded a clamp to it installed it. Should the lock ring be on the side with the chainrings? Cos mine is.

I'll get a pic, back soon :D

Okydoke, this is a shot from the front of the trike, camera pointing down (please ignore rust a nd crappy welds)

IMAG0237.jpg

Chainring side unscrews when pedalling. (left if pic is right of trike)

Thanks guys

You could try removing all the grease/oil from the threads with petro;. Mine kept coming loose too until I degreased it. Now it's OK.

dennyt said:
Sorry to say you welded your BB shell backwards. The lockrings should be on the non-drive side. The reason there are left-hand and right-hand threads is to prevent loosening.

Try loctite?

Arse. Boy do I feel like an idiot! Do you know if I can simpky swap the threaded caps over? Doubt this will work due to left-handed threads...

Muppet. :roll:

Thanks guys,

Xanda2260 said:
dennyt said:
Sorry to say you welded your BB shell backwards. The lockrings should be on the non-drive side. The reason there are left-hand and right-hand threads is to prevent loosening.

Try loctite?

Arse. Boy do I feel like an idiot! Do you know if I can simpky swap the threaded caps over? Doubt this will work due to left-handed threads...

Muppet. :roll:

Thanks guys,

Easiest in the long term may be to chop that sucker off and do it over. You could easily invest more time and trouble coping with the side effects than just taking the cure.

Chalo

turn it into a delta and pedal backwards.. problem solved!

^--- We have a winner, please step up to claim your prize

Back