Why Lithium Ion Batteries Prematurely Fail

xIdg3Tg.png

steelmesh said:
I don't get it..
Nice to see the Australian brand BillaBong out there in the USA, on that guys tee shirt, :roll:
Sometimes I wonder if Billabong brand only had success because it has the word "Bong" in it. Looks like that guy might have used one as well.
Can't see how it helps give us insight into Lithium batteries though. :pancake:

dogman said:
Keep it as cool and low v as possible.

That's what I took away. He even said put your lithiums in the freezer at night (one of the last questions he answered).

TheBeastie said:
I don't get it..
Nice to see the Australian brand BillaBong out there in the USA, on that guys tee shirt, :roll:
Sometimes I wonder if Billabong brand only had success because it has the word "Bong" in it. Looks like that guy might have used one as well.
Can't see how it helps give us insight into Lithium batteries though. :pancake:

http://www.reddit.com

This one is called "Sudden Clarity Clarence"

dogman said:
The things I take from this lecture is..
  • Do what's practicable to minimize full charged time. If that's don't charge at all till about to ride great. But at least store less charged when you can.
  • Let a hot pack cool before charging. Do what's practicable to store your battery at 20c, rather than leave em in a 40c garage. If room temp is not cold enough, where do I order a china girl kit?
I would add:
  • the industry is getting better all the time in making batteries and with CE measurements (the basis of the lecture) industry is now equipped to accelerate their design-test-build times; lesson for us it constantly re-evaluate the marketplace
  • Tesla is clearly doing their homework and hiring the brightest to marshal themselves forward; lesson for is to buy & build packs that approximate what Tesla is doing
  • Main lesson: stay in the sweet spot of 30% to 70% charge
  • if ambient temperatures are a problem, a thermal management system may be in order
Thanks for the post!
Coulombic Efficiency - add that to your lexicon
Coulombic.png
Oh, and lithium titanate has an "amazing" CE of .99998 which translates into very long life! Yabo!

I was so impressed with the lecture in the first post, I transcribed it into text. It turned into many many pages (talking non-stop for an hour), so it may be awkward to host here. Although, I can copy / paste it here if that's OK. Does anyone have a good place to host this document? and then I can just add a link here.

I can send a copy to anyone who likes, just PM me.

edit, Battery Bro did a great job of transcribing the lecture, and added screencaps of the slides, which is helpful

https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-...3090502-why-do-lithium-ion-batteries-die-long

Back