Wide Range DC-DC Converters

Alan B

100 GW
One component we often need for eBike electronics is a DC-DC converter with wide voltage input range. Once you get over 75 volts input there are few products. A popular solution is to use an AC power supply as many of them will accept high voltage DC input, though 75V is a low value for them and they may not have full current output with regulation. It is somewhat hit or miss. They also tend to be bulky for a small project that only needs a few watts. They can be bought on Ebae for a low price, but you might have to buy a few to find one that works properly with the undervoltage DC from the eBike battery.

Some folks have rolled their own designs, which is a good way to go for some projects. Lebowski shared his design using a PIC processor, but I haven't found other shared designs here on ES.

I found one commercial DC-DC converter that has an amazing input voltage range of 10:1 - this isolated converter works from 16V to 160V and is available in 5, 12, and 24 volt outputs. It produces 15 watts of isolated power and has a 6mA idle current, which is plenty of power for running controller logic or some electronics on the eBike, but not enough for large loads. It is fairly small at 2x2x1". The downside is the price, currently $63 at Digikey or Mouser. It is a Murata RUW15 for those interested in that one. It is pricey but for a high end project it might be a good choice.

Perhaps there are some other wide-range DC-DC converters that folks are aware of that would be good to consider. Any suggestions?

I have very recently bought this light;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Bright-12W-12V-80V-Motorcycle-Electrocar-LED-Light-Headlamp-B5UT-New-/331003683468?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d115b628c
The dc-dc dropper it has is rated for 10-85v with a 12w output. It is certainly cheap and sufficient for 20s packs.

Back