Will BBSHD work okay to drive dual 20" wheels

kiltedcelt

100 W
Title says it all. For clarification though, I'm considering a project making a recumbent cargo hauler that will be either a trike (one wheel in front, two rear wheels), or a quad-wheel vehicle similar to the Velove cargo haulers that are being used in Europe by a number of companies including DHL. Anyway, I have a BBSHD and was thinking it would be the power source for this cargo hauler. The chain would run from the front underneath and would go to the rear axle by some arrangement of a stationary geared hub or some sort of derailleur transmission. To keep the cargo deck lower I'd prefer to use 20" wheels in the back. Would there be any issues with using the BBSHD to power a rear, solid axle driving two 20" wheels? I was thinking of a single wheel up front, but another option (wouldn't be able to haul as much weight), would be a tadpole trike arrangement where the rear portion of the trike would be extended kind of like a longtail cargo bike and would use a 26" rear wheel, in which case obviously no issues with the BBSHD. Thoughts? Suggestions?

The only problem is that, for good traction you’d need a differential gear box. Otherwise, in a turn one of the wheel will slip.

On a “delta” set up ( 2 wheels at the rear),.. you could use a “free hub” on one wheel and just drive the other one.
Single wheel drive works fine, no traction problems unless you are going offroad ...and was common on many motor bike with sidecar set ups

With low gear ratios, a BBSHD would have no trouble. With creative use of freewheels, you can create an inexpensive "differential" for the rear wheels.

a "freewheel diff" doesn't work like a "real" differential.

the fw version puts the power on the inboard (slower) wheel, which tries to force you out of the turn and into a straight line.

a good diff will put power on the outboard wheel, which tries to push you into the turn.

kiltedcelt said:
. To keep the cargo deck lower I'd prefer to use 20" wheels in the back.
how about doing it with larger wheels whose axles are *above the deck*, with the deck hanging from those axles?

makes a much better ride, unless you happen to ride on perfectly smooth roads that don't affect smaller wheel diameters, especially when you're loaded down heavily. ;)

this trailer built this way has been used to haul lots of stuff, up to an upright piano, and several hundred pounds of dog food, in various configurations.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94215&p=1387935

the raine trike, built for my brother, is similar, though ti also has cambered wheels (which i wouldn't likely do again) as an experiment for better track width without widening the trike:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80951&start=50#p1375147

then if you wish to drive both wheels from the same power source, rather than hubmotors like i used, you can use a peerless-differential axle from a lawn tractor or similar, or gokart if you need higher torque capability, and then run chains from the ends of the axles up to the input sprockets of the two rear wheels. if the axle is directly between the wheels, it doesnt' matter that it's low to the ground, as the wheels will be going over any curbs, speedbumps, etc., at the same time, and keeping everything between them lifted above them too. (i you have rocks or debris on the road, or some other thing(s) that you have to go over that would intersect the axle without the wheel going over it, that would be a problem, but under most usages, it is not).

the next version of the sb cruiser trike will probably be built like that, minus the camber, but longer and wider cargo area so it's bigger capacity than what the sb cruiser itself has.

With the replies so far, and a bit more research I'm leaning towards a delta trike configuration. While I like the looks of the Velove quads, and understand why're they're made the way they are, I feel it's too complicated and at this juncture there's WAY too much extra work in trying to put together my own multi-link front and rear suspension. Also, a delta configuration, like a Hase Kettwiesel, means I'm able to have a much tighter turning radius. I started looking at differentials and such, and I see a company makes a freewheel type differential where they've already done the work for you and you just need to supply your axles. I'm not above trying to cobble my own together, but I would need to see some schematics of how someone else has done this before I build one myself. I like the idea of having both rear wheels being driven, but I'm not sure I'm understanding how this works on a delta trike with a differential. It seems like there are a maybe three ways of doing this.
1. Two separate axles, but the BBSHD drives only one wheel. I've read where particularly on bumpy terrain this can cause weird handling since only one wheel is being driven. I think this is my least favorite option.
2. A solid axle in the rear - BBSHD drives both wheels equally, but as I understand it, in a turn there is scrubbing on the wheel that is moving less (the inside wheel in a turn?), or do I have that backwards and the scrubbing is on the outside wheel? Also seems like a less than favorable solution.
3. BBSHD drives some form of differential that puts power to both rear wheels, but allows for easy turning with no scrubbing. Best option it seems.
One thing that occurs to me about the above 3 options is how do I provide suspension for the rear? I've already decided on a suspension fork for the front, and I'm mulling over 20" front versus 24". A lesser consideration would be whether I can make this with fat tires - full 4" wide front and 4" wide for the rear, or at least maybe 3" if I'm going with 20" rear wheels.
The idea for this project is coming from thoughts about the DIY cargo bakfiets I built last year. That bike has worked out VERY well for my contracting work hauling tools and materials around, however the cargo area is just a little bit too small, and hauling big, heavy/awkward items is difficult and often necessitates more than one trip most of the time. Other bulky items I'd like to haul but would have difficult with unless using a trailer, is my big 8" Dobsonian reflecting telescope. Another idea behind the trike/recumbent platform is also the very real possibility of incorporating a canopy with solar recharging ability.
Final consideration for deck height - I want to keep the rear at 20" wheels with the cargo deck ABOVE the wheels primarily so that I have a completely flat platform for loading materials including sheet goods and/or self-contained cargo boxes similar to what the Velove quads can haul. A raised cargo bed also gives the option of a bit of space underneath for battery storage. I'm thinking about making a pair of larger batteries to give a much greater range than my current em3ev triangle pack (a 28.7 amp hour battery).

If the routes are so bumpy that the drive wheel is going to be off the ground and make it drive weird, amberwolf may have a pretty good point about little 20" wheels.

Since that one wheel drive is one of the things that's going to make it possible to use a larger wheel, and the larger wheel will help a lot with the bumps, it seems to me that the trail signs are pointing this way. Note that you don't have to make the bed any lower, so there's still as much room for the battery down there if you want it that way. It just allows you to have a higher hub without raising the bed accordingly (and puts away all the differential problems.) (Maybe set the battery on the drive side, for when there's no other load - kind of like a sandbag in the back of your rear wheel drive pickup truck.) But don't let it get too high, tip-overs aren't going to be fun even the first time, and deltas are particularly notorious.

kiltedcelt said:
While I like the looks of the Velove quads, and understand why're they're made the way they are, I feel it's too complicated and at this juncture there's WAY too much extra work in trying to put together my own multi-link front and rear suspension.
another problem with quads is that in many areas, quads of any kind are not bicycles, and may not even be a legal class of vehicle or hpv to use on public roads or paths or sidewalks. many places use some variant of the definition "a bicycle has a maximum of three wheels in contact with the ground", which makes any "normal" quad not a bicycle, and there is not usually any other definition it matches either. whether that makes it a "gray area" or simply not allowed at all depends on law enforcement in the area more than anything else.

for example, they would not be legal here in arizona, although leos would be unlikely to care, they could use that against you if they had any other reason (or desire) to stop you in the first place.

that's the primary reason i have never built one. the secondary is the extreme (for me) complication of suspension (and/or complicated frame design) being required in order to keep traction on all the wheels.

Also, a delta configuration, like a Hase Kettwiesel, means I'm able to have a much tighter turning radius. I started looking at differentials and such, and I see a company makes a freewheel type differential where they've already done the work for you and you just need to supply your axles.
unless it's some radically different design than i've ever seen, then as i noted before, a fw diff doesn't do what you will want it to do. it will force you into a wider turn, and prevent a tighter one, if the power goes thru that, because it will put the power to the inboard wheel, when it needs to go to the outboard wheel.

you'll need something like a peerless diff or similar to spread the power appropriately to each wheel in a turn. these are not all that expensive if you don't need massive torque thru them. $150-200 for lawnmower/lawntractor types. probably less if you poke around.

if you provide a link to the company in question, or at least to someplace with pictures of their setup, i can look at it and tell you if it will do what you want.

1. Two separate axles, but the BBSHD drives only one wheel.
just like any other one-sided-power system, it works well enough in a straight line on smooth terrain. if you are at faster speeds on bumpy terrain such that the powered wheel loses traction it can result in undesired behavior. when pedalling is the power source that's not a problem because you can naturally lessen or stop power input easily as needed during the actual bumps, but when using a motor the delays in the system depending on control method may not allow this.

in turns, it only works really well when the powered side is outboard. when it's inboard, it's difficult to make a tight turn unless you stop powering the wheel and then just coast thru the turn.

if you really can only power one wheel, perhaps the front wheel would be a better choice. if you remotely control the bbshd from just a throttle, and/or a separate pas sensor on your regular cranks (whcih also solves a number of other mechanical issues various people have with middrives built onto the cranks), then the bbshd can be mounted on the fork of the front wheel, and power that wheel directly via chain. use a bmx rear hub for the wheel and a single speed freewheel, or use a fatbike fork and a regular rear wheel hub with multispeed freewheel. then you just have to put a derailer hanger on the fork with an adapter plate at the dropout, and make a mount for the bbshd above or behind the wheel itself, that mounts to the fork crown or stanchions.

2. A solid axle in the rear - BBSHD drives both wheels equally, but as I understand it, in a turn there is scrubbing on the wheel that is moving less (the inside wheel in a turn?), or do I have that backwards and the scrubbing is on the outside wheel? Also seems like a less than favorable solution.
scrubbing is on the inboard wheel, as it's trying to push forward as hard as the outboar wheel but can't. it's also going to try to push you in a straight line and won't tend to have as tight a turn radius.

One thing that occurs to me about the above 3 options is how do I provide suspension for the rear? I've already decided on a suspension fork for the front, and I'm mulling over 20" front versus 24". A lesser consideration would be whether I can make this with fat tires - full 4" wide front and 4" wide for the rear, or at least maybe 3" if I'm going with 20" rear wheels.
if you don't use small wheels, and go for 26" or larger, you may not need as much suspension, because larger wheels roll over bigger terrain problems than small ones.

you could use fat tires to help with the vibrationally-annoying stuff, though they won't help all taht much with big hits, especially if they're small diameter.

if you are going fast enough on rough terrain to need suspension, there's a number of ways you can do it, but it's all going to complicate your drivetrain, frame design, and cargo handling (because suspension response will change with loading--if you design it to respond best with a heavy load, you'll probably bounce all over the place when empty, and it raises the deck that much farther above the road).

Final consideration for deck height - I want to keep the rear at 20" wheels with the cargo deck ABOVE the wheels primarily so that I have a completely flat platform for loading materials including sheet goods and/or self-contained cargo boxes similar to what the Velove quads can haul.

some thoughts, based on my experiences with various cargo and various trailer and trike designs i've used so far:

unless you have a requirement for narrow track width, then as long as the larger diameter wheels are spread far enough apart for the max width of the cargo, you can load whatever you like on there.

for sheet goods like full-sheet buildng materials, that *would* be pretty wide, something like a five-foot-wide trike, to give about four feet minimum between the wheels.

with a deck over the wheels, you'd still end up with a fairly wide trike: at least a four-foot-wide deck to fully support the sheet goods, or pallet-sized pre-containered loads. and it would still have to be a very long cargo area, about 8 feet long for building-material-type sheet goods. it dosen't have to be that long or wide if you don't need to fully support the cargo, of course, but if you have fragile stuff like sheetrock and must ride quickly on rough terrain, it has to be fully supported to ensure no cracking from flexing. (this could be done with a thick sheet of plywood or a thin sheet and a wood or metal frame under it, that is a temporary enlarged bed, just for hauling those specific items, secured to the actual cargo deck only when you need to use it, and left off completely when not).

on my present trailer with a deck hung below the axles by several inches, the sheet goods and other wide items like empty pallets have simply been hauled on their edges, tied down to vertical support triangles bolted to the deck frame. (essentially doing what the big carts at lowes/homedepot allow for manual transport from store to vehicle in the parking lot).

for the future version, if i ever need it, it would be a six foot wide unit, with duallie independent wheels on each side that takes nearly a foot of width, and a four foot wide deck between them, eight or nine feet long to fully accomodate sheet materials or two full pallets of stuff.

fwiw, one other advantage of having the deck hung between the wheels is that even with 26" wheels, the deck is still only a handspan or so (7-8") above the road, so it is very stable even with at least 4-foot-tall stuff tied down to it (liek vertical sheets, or the piano), and does not have any way to tip over.

a deck that is above 20" wheels with normal tires is a minimum of 21-22" over the road, and will be more than two feet above the road, up to two and a half, with really fat tires, and even more with suspension (because you have to have space for the suspension travel). this, plus it likely being narrower track width, will mean it is potentially prone to tipping under adverse conditions.

A raised cargo bed also gives the option of a bit of space underneath for battery storage.
if you build a cargo box under the seat like i did on my trikes, you can use that for battery, small cargo, etc. others have done this on othe trikes, including tadpole kmx's. iirc i have more than three cubic feet in sb cruiser's cargo box, and closer to 5 or six on the raine trike.

a consideration based on my experiences with both normal riding (desert city) and flash floods:

for battery storage (or other electrical) under the deck is it must be completely waterproof, or any puddles you splash thru will get water inside it. if you end up in a flash flood or have to ride thru deep enough water to submerge it for any length of time, it will get a lot of water inside it. alternately it could have extreme drainage and something like heaters/fans to force moisture out when it does get inside.

fwiw, i had been about to put my battery under the trike when i experienced the first flash flood on my commute home, and ended up in water over a foot deep (probably closer to two). if i had built the battery under there the way i had planned, it would have been completely drowned. i don't know if it would have damaged it but i suspect that long term the water ingress in between cells and interconnects would have corroded things, even if i dried it all out as well as possible as soon as i got home. :(

so i never did put it under the deck as planned, as i havent' been able to build a guaranteed-waterproof casing for them, that i can be *sure* will not ever be able to leak, but is easy to open for observation and servicing if required. i have ideas...but not yet able to implement them.

Some good replies here that have given me a lot to think about in terms of the potential designs. I also shared this plan over on a recumbent bikes forum as well. There were some interesting suggestions on there as to how to overcome the problems with a rear two-wheeled drive system. Frankly, I'm not too enamored of the engineering challenges necessary to design and build some sort of differential to split power to the rear wheels. I'm also not liking the limitations of having only a single front wheel to provide braking force with likely greatly diminished braking force from the rear wheels due to the cargo area not always being loaded. Some brainstorming this morning and thoughts about the configuration of some of the solar trikes on the Sun Trip rides got me thinking about how a tadpole trike could be adapted to be a cargo hauler.

I still want to have the option of this trike being something that can handle more than just paved streets, but also realizing there will be some limitations in terms of just how much cargo I can carry balanced against keeping the trike able to handle some light off-road stuff. It occurs to me that I could drive a large diameter rear wheel with the BBSHD, and have good braking with the two front wheels and even braking on the rear - something that might not be as unstable as some folks think since the longer wheelbase might make the vehicle less likely to have the back end drift out under extreme braking. I've read that some tadpoles don't have brakes on the rear wheel, only the front, but I seem to recall having seen brakes on some tadpoles, especially the off-road fat trikes if I remember correctly.

So, what I'm envisioning right now would be a cargo platform behind the seat that would extend to the rear wheel and would be sized to accept a few standard sorts of cargo items - eg. big enough to hold a jobsite/portable tablesaw, standard size reusable shipping container similar to ones that are placed on pallets, or are forklift compatible be design. Additionally, for carrying longer items like 2x lumber, the cargo deck could incorporate some type of slide-out hangers that would allow longer items to be suspended alongside the cargo deck. So, where it stands right now I'm thinking an extended version of a tadpole trike might be a more easily constructed vehicle rather than some type of delta trike with two-wheel drive.

Trikes are horrible rides off road for many reasons. I’d say, to build a trike that is a fair off road vehicle, it must have suspension and ideally, tilting type. Those together, are making a pretty expansive, complicated build. Then, adding cargo to the equation is making it even more complicated.

So, unless you are willing to spend a lot of time and money building it, going off road with your trike will probably be limited to slow riding nice trails. Most trikes on dirt, either risk drifting of flipping, even both unpredictably.

How long would this thing be, do you think? I'm picturing something about 10 feet long.

4x8 sheets are off the table, or could they be A-framed on the extension hangers? (I did that once on a home made bicycle trailer. Didn't work ... I forget how I thought I was going to hold them together at the top "ridge line", but it didn't work.)

In response to Madrhino's comment, probably be limited to slow riding nice trails that's pretty much what I had in mind. More bikepacking type stuff rather than downhill/enduro bomber type stuff. Also, there are some pretty damn capable off-road trikes out there - after all, Ice Trikes made the first fat trike which was the first human-powered wheeled vehicle to make it to the South Pole. The main thing for me is having the ability to run some high volume rubber and some ground clearance to handle light off-road.

In response to Donn - I'm thinking of keeping the trike pretty close to about the same length as my current bakfiets cargo bike which means about 7' - 8' long. I wouldn't think of carrying 4x8, at least not on the cargo trike, and certainly not set up in "A" fashion. That's just asking to catch a side-wind and get blown over. Nah, if I needed to get sheet goods I think I have a workable solution with a cargo trailer I've built that is about 6' long. I can set that up with some collapsible stands that would allow me to carry sheet goods flat on the trailer. The cargo area on the trike I'm envisioning being about the size of a standard freight type shipping container. Places like Global Industrial sell a variety of those type of containers so I just need to check their website and see what the standard sizes are typically. That's one thing I regret about how I designed my bakfiets. I made the cargo platform on that only as long as some generic 4130 cromoly tubes I bought from a frame building supplier and as a result it severely limits the choices of ready-made cargo containers that I can put on the platform. Designing the platform around a standardized size of shipping container is a lot smarter. Also, making it a size that can easily hold a jobsite tablesaw is also a useful metric to go off of as well.

More research over the weekend and I've further narrowed down the plan/layout. It's definitely going to be a tadpole trike layout, and to make things easier on myself and not have to reverse-engineer so much, I just bought the plans to an Atomic Zombie Warrior Trike, mainly because it features under-seat-steering (USS). I'm going to use the Warrior as the basis of the build, going off of the plans for how to create the front wheel booms and steering linkages mainly. The rest I'm going to figure out for how I want my trike to be laid out. Seating will be a bit more upright and higher since I'll be having 26" wheels all around. I went ahead and purchased three WTB Scraper rims that are 26" by 40mm wide (inside width). Those rims are specifically designed to be tubeless ready and the 29" ones I had for the Kona Wo I used to have are the easiest rims I've ever set up tubeless. I didn't even need an air compressor, just a regular tire pump and some soap on the beads. When paired with WTB Ranger tires in 3.0 width I find the combo to be excellent for giving a large volume tire that will handle most anything short of sand or snow. I'm going to design the rear around a 170mm hub standard and I can do a regular cassette drivetrain for that - probably 11x46 in 10 or 11 speed - MicroShift and with MicroShift bar end shifters and rear derailleur as well. I checked on sizes of some average jobsite tablesaws as well as some shipping containers and figured a behind-the-seat cargo area would need to be about 36" to accommodate most cargo I'd haul. My back-of-the-envelope figures indicated a total length of the cargo 'cycle being about 9 1/2 feet or thereabouts. I checked this against my current bakfiets cargo bike and it's pretty much the same length. I figure the total length will probably be something around 10' which I don't think is unreasonable. I see slightly longer total length working in my favor since it gives a longer span to serve as the basis for the solar panel awning.

A tadpol is going to have a tipping problem if you carry the weight over the back wheel. It will be unstable if you suddenly have to swerve or turn sharp.

A differential is less hard than you think. Samagaga make 4 different models that can be fairly easily fitted to any conventional trike frame. I'd actually been searching my favorites for their site earlier today for an upcoming project. Couldn't remember their name until I read your post. Thanks for jarring my memory. :mrgreen:
http://www.samagaga.com/Category.aspx?Category=DG72

There are also some available for gocarts that are heavier duty, and maybe cheaper but harder to fit.

here's a Samagaga in a basic trike frame:
maxresdefault.jpg

Drunkskunk said:
A tadpol is going to have a tipping problem if you carry the weight over the back wheel. It will be unstable if you suddenly have to swerve or turn sharp.

Never really looked into it, but I had the impression that the delta's tipping problem comes from the fact that the inertial force isn't really sideways, it's forward - if you drop something while going around a curve, it will go off on a tangent, not a radius. The sharper the turn, the more sideways that forward direction becomes, and that angle between front and sideways happens to be where the delta's triangle is the narrowest, and the tadpole's is the widest.

The best thing of course is not to go around curves fast. When I search the web for "work tricycle", the images I see are not speedy looking recumbents.

Another quick reply to address the concerns Drunkskunk voiced about tadpole trike stability. Certainly the difficulty of building in a rear differential for a delta trike was one concern that got me to move away from that design, but more than anything it was that most of the braking power would have to be on the rear where the bike would be lightly loaded 50% of the time or more. With only a single front wheel providing braking force and two rear wheels getting very little unless hauling weight, it just seemed like the tadpole configuration was a much better option. While my seating position will be above and behind the front wheel axles, there will still be significantly more weight on the front than the rear. This is also one issue a lot of folks cite as being a problem with a tadpole trike. Grab the brakes in a panic stop and the trike can flip forward on you, similar to grabbing only front brake on a regular bike and having too much of your weight forwards - you go over the bars. Anyway, in this instance I'm going to say that even with a rear brake as well that flipping the trike forwards is going to be *extremely* unlikely because of the unloaded weight of the vehicle and the long wheelbase.

To address the other issues about stability in turns - both designs have problems with turning and it's basically that you don't want to take any turn so sharp that it causes you to lift the inside wheel and tip the thing over. As I'm rarely going flat-out anywhere, especially into corners I don't see this as being an issue of any sort. Also, there technically won't be any cargo weight above the rear wheel to unbalance the center of gravity because the bulk of cargo weight will be carried in the area between the rear of the seat and in front of the rear wheel. Although there will be about 12" of space to either side of the rear wheel to allow for additional cargo, the bulk of weight again will be sitting in the middle of the vehicle, behind the seat. Ultimately, I still think this design is the best compromise as it keeps the drivetrain simple, add sufficient ground clearance and stability for navigating rough roads, and allows for future versatility like swapping out the standard 3.0 tires for wheels with 4.0 for snow or far more rough roads/backcountry rides.

Back