Will this aluminum K2 Arcadia make a good stable frame that won't crack?

MarkJohnston

10 kW
this is an K2 arcadia hybrid comfort bike.

I just got this bike and I really like the geometry on it. I don't know what kind of stem and riser system it uses but it is awesome. I sit nearly upright and it's so much more comfy to ride like this. On my other bike my shoulders hurt pretty bad after a short while. I compared and the handlebars sit about an inch higher. However the STACK and REACH are slightly less. IT's gotta be the riser.

Anyways, do you guys think this would be a good ebike? The welds all look good and it says "designed in the USA". Who knows where it mades hopefully taiwan. PRETTY SURE it's china made. It came stock with all shimano parts. So that is good. I have a very very low torque motor that doesn't need torque arms.

OR should I just get a new fork for my other bike that is an inch longer and add some spacers? That way I could get those handlebars up. Maybe even handlebars that curve back would be good? What do you think?

Will this survive? I plan on strapping batteries MID TUBE area with this build.

I've already somewhat converted it and it looks good so far. the drops look good. IT's aluminum and not steel unfortunate. THis bike weighs considerably less than my other bike with a Taiwanese bikes direct bike. I have a bad feeling this bike is not as heavy duty as the other. Could just be the fork weight though. But this bike does rip too!

I timed this bike and on my daily commute it was about 10 minutes faster! WTF? And my other bike you can pedal harder. So strange. DO you guys think that is just because I have halved my weight?

YEs I believe this bike setup is about half the weight of my tank bike/

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_181939.jpg
    IMG_20230812_181939.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230812_181959.jpg
    IMG_20230812_181959.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230812_182007.jpg
    IMG_20230812_182007.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230812_182012.jpg
    IMG_20230812_182012.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230812_182022.jpg
    IMG_20230812_182022.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230812_182030.jpg
    IMG_20230812_182030.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Those bso's are fine for 1000w to about 1500w max, front fork hub motors "shouldnt" be more then 1000w, "should" ;) also be rigid fork, or low low power for pogo stick forks.

Let me guess.................... You got this bike reallly cheap and plan to put it thru heavy duty usage, loading it up with weight, riding it fast, down steep hills, etc. correct? ;)

About 20 years ago, I got a few of those frames that had been taken out of production before they were painted. I made a couple of stretch fork choppers, including one for my wife at the time, and I built one up for my big ol' fat brother. For him I used a solid steer tube in the fork and a solid seatpost (which needed to be pretty long). None of them ever had a lick of trouble. They're basic but sturdy.

bunting1.JPG

I don't think much of the fork on your bike, and you'd be much better off with a rigid fork or a modern-ish MTB fork. (That said, it's quite similar to the one I put on my big ol' fat brother's bike, and that one has held up okay.)

The adjustable stem is garbage, like pretty much all of those. Use it to figure out what shape you want your real stem to be. Then get a welded chromoly stem in that shape.

Last edited:
About 20 years ago, I got a few of those frames that had been taken out of production before they were painted. I made a couple of stretch fork choppers, including one for my wife at the time, and I built one up for my big ol' fat brother. For him I used a solid steer tube in the fork and a solid seatpost (which needed to be pretty long). None of them ever had a lick of trouble. They're basic but sturdy.

View attachment 338392

I don't think much of the fork on your bike, and you'd be much better off with a rigid fork or a modern-ish MTB fork. (That said, it's quite similar to the one I put on my big ol' fat brother's bike, and that one has held up okay.)

The adjustable stem is garbage, like pretty much all of those. Use it to figure out what shape you want your real stem to be. Then get a welded chromoly stem in that shape.
That's an interesting looking bike. The saddle and bars are made for each other. The different size wheels just add to everything. I wouldn't mind taking that for a spin just to see how the small wheel/big gear (I think) work out.

Let me guess.................... You got this bike reallly cheap and plan to put it thru heavy duty usage, loading it up with weight, riding it fast, down steep hills, etc. correct? ;)
No. This time I'm going ultra light weight. I have a plan for the battery/ies on mounting them on the mid tube with hose clamps. Much better setup IMO for weight distribution. SS Hose clamps FTW

OK. In case you didn't know, or maybe just to remind you, [ultra light weight] + [reliable] = [$$$]. Are you able to play/pay in that game?

OK. In case you didn't know, or maybe just to remind you, [ultra light weight] + [reliable] = [$$$]. Are you able to play/pay in that game?
The frame and fork are super light. This bike seems a lot faster than my other bike. I.e. same route same conditions but i reached my work in 30 mins vs 40. It wasn't as fast going downhill, but acceleration was quicker.

This is why I posted this thread, because I am worried about the frame being too light weight of an aluminum frame. I am looking hard at the trek 820 custom steel bike. Steel is real. Steel doesnt fail catastrophicly. There are warning signs.

I have a working prototype right Now, just need to mount the battery/ ies mid tube for the best handling/weight/etc. I will be turning heads though , when they see the batteries cops and robbers, one and the same..

Hub motor stays nice and hidden with panniers. Hub motor super low torque, and I think perhaps its limited to class 3? I never seem to be able to pull my full 1200 watts.. It only does it up hills. I'm not so worried about frame cracking down there.

The frame and fork are super light.

No. They're not. They're purposefully light, but but exceptional in any way. Especially the fork is probably a pig.

Those bso's are fine for 1000w to about 1500w max, front fork hub motors "shouldnt" be more then 1000w, "should" ;) also be rigid fork, or low low power for pogo stick forks.
Ok yes I am at 1200 watts and low low torque motor. Should be ok. Should be ok to sell it too once I dummy proof the charging system

Def sell on Craigslist, plug in speed limiter, tell them how to uplug it. Tell them too only charge outside and 3 feet at least from structures. Wash my hands of it and get paid in cash. Can't be responsible for other people at that point

Back