Winding Question: does STAR make more torque than DELTA, even with adjusted phase current?

I'm not sure I follow your logic but I think you need more turns in delta to get same kv, not less(if everything else in motor stays same)

Edit: And when you adjust winding turns in motor to get same kv, you would also get same kt.
So 7 turns in star vs. 7*1.73=12 turns in delta.
63/12=~5strands if you then calculate resistance for both windings they would be same 🙃
I made one fundamental error due to late night writing :D I accounted that reducing turns will reduce KV when it is an opposite. Sorry math is wrong Star is better in temp and torque per amp.

Though there are reports that triangle is running a lot more efficient at High range of RPM, but I have no idea why that would be + considering the difference in amp draw to get to approximate torque level (1.73) + increase in resistance that you have to to do by adding turns to get same KV motor = same torque, it all seems to be too much to be beneficially if you don't have an objective to get higher RPM.. (but than again, for that you could as well just get star winding and reduce the number of turns but 1.73 times - which would also allow for more parallels further reducing heat up or allow for higher torque

I have worked with both star connection and delta connection in my axial flux motor, what i can see is for the amount of phase current that is given to the coils differ in star connection and delta connection, the reason being the number of parallel paths increase in the delta connection by a factor of 2, this effectively reduces the current flowing in the coils.

Torque is directly proportional to the amount of current going in the coil, So based on this you need to increase the amount to phase current in delta connection to achieve the same torque in Star connection.

Although the speed is increased the only thing changes is the torque@rpm value, and I do feel delta connection is a star specific motor could be dangerous as the rotor may not have been designed to operate at increased speed.

Although the speed is increased the only thing changes is the torque@rpm value
A more precise way of stating that is that since kT is inverse of kV, both are changed by star vs delta connection, given the same motor characteristics otherwise.

Back