Wirefly: Freeride/Commuter Project

Wow! Well either I don't have the shunt and CA setup right to read amps or my controller settings are limiting. Hard to believe there is more in it. It feels potent as it is. Can those in the know take a look at these settings to determine if I am missing something? I have the boost setting disabled because I believe it should only be enabled if you want it to be switch activated? I am assuming it uses the boost functionality automatically otherwise?

I have a 0.5ohm shunt and wired per the diagram in the CA manual and set the shunt setting to 0.5ohm in the advanced setup. I assume this would be correct.

controller%20settings_zpsiqecgq2b.jpg

Do you really mean 0.5Ohm and not milli Ohm?
If your shunt is on 0.5 Ohm a 50A current will yield a 25V voltage drop over the shunt that will seriously affect your performance.

Yeah I meant mOhm. Sorry about that. I decided to enable the boost setting to see if that was the difference but it did not do anything. Do I need to trigger that somehow with a signal?

I was just reading crossbreak's latest build and he says 130 is max for certain models. I also didn't realize they have low speed power limitting and more of a torque throttle than infineon. The latter would be great, but I like shredding, so maybe not the former.

Maybe check it out, I'm not up on kellys, but it sounds like he is.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67825

can you plz post the settings pic in higher resolution? i can't read anything.

i have a 48V/120A one laying around, it can be configured to 70% battery current

Attachments

• 2015-06-24 17_23_01-Step 1 - Kelly KBS-X Series Controllers Configuration Program V4.5.png
    2015-06-24 17_23_01-Step 1 - Kelly KBS-X Series Controllers Configuration Program V4.5.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 4,576
Very nice build. Very nice.

crossbreak said:
can you plz post the settings pic in higher resolution? i can't read anything.

i have a 48V/120A one laying around, it can be configured to 70% battery current

Sorry didn't realize how low that resolution came in.

1_zpstdjjkymo.jpg

2_zpsjqcxrzx6.jpg

3_zpsrcxbfol7.jpg

4_zps7rhhcpyi.jpg

5_zpsnw5jftvn.jpg

No videos as of yet. Have to dig out my go-pro. I have now past 250 miles on the bike. Most of it offroad trail riding. about 16-20 miles per day. I use a little over half of my pack capacity doing "spirited" riding. No problems as of yet. All I have been doing is charging, keeping the chain lubed, and riding.

crossbreak was kind enough to send me the earlier version of the KBS software that allows 70% battery current. I suspected that they just changed the software to disallow folks to run 70%. Fany said they did this to protect the controllers. She didn't say how but I figured it was just a software change and it was. This morning on a full charge I saw 120A peak which is 40A higher than I saw with 50% battery current. I can tell a difference in the initial "hit" but overall acceleration didn't change much.

Awesome build! I love the tab and slot design, makes everything easy to align and weld. I do some laser cut stuff with hardboard and its the same idea. What gauge steel did you end up using? How does it ride? Is there much frame flex?

Also nice simple charging setup, does the bms have time to balance before it finishes charging?

Well, it's been a little over a year since I finished so I figured I would give this an update. I have put over 1000 miles on the bike and I have not done anything to it. Most of the riding is offroad and heavy amp draw type use. I haven't taken it apart once. I have been riding lately in super warm conditions to and from work. The river was flooded from a heatwave triggering lots of snow melt but it has finally dried back out so I haven't been mudding much anymore. After the flood I tried to ride the trails and I got caught in a place where I couldn't turn around. I had the entire lower half of the bike completely submerged including the motor for about 100 yards. It worked fine under water and still works fine now so that was a relief. :shock: I don't plan on doing that again though. Everything has been rock solid reliable and charging is painless. I just use the bike and don't fiddle with anything too much other than keeping a close eye on the cell balance. I am the most pleased with the motor. I had my doubts that this chinese motor would be able to hang in there but it has been fantastic. Lets hope it stays that way. I did recently try using a ebikes.ca thumb throttle and it seems to have given me a slower response so I am switching back to the Kelly thumb throttle. It was much easier to wheelie with it.

Looks great!! So when are you goning to build a couple more :twisted: :D

Question about the power... Are you able to power wheelie or do you have to give it some help and if so up to what speed will it power wheelie?

I have so many projects right now that i can't build more anytime soon.

It will powerwheelie up to about 12mph maybe. I usually use a bit of a shove and yank to preload the suspension and make it come up in a more controlled fashion though. Here is a shot i got on my way home from work today. Hey new avatar pic! Its a little baby whoop setup that i like to manual over. Fun stuff! I have a trail of about 4 miles with this terrain on the way home and about 3 on the pavement.

20160712_193036_zpspe0kp05d.png

Ride home from work today. I don't know why it's so choppy on youtube. The orignal video is so much more crisp. Maybe too much movement or something? :(

[youtube]eRY71m38z9s[/youtube]

dan974 said:
would you show us the bike more plz =)

What do you mean? More pics or more of the bike in the vid? I have been thinking about where else go mount the gopro. Its on the top of the kelly thumb throttle righf now because it was easy.

standfast said:
IMG_20160821_210733_zps2cjd80d8.png

Screenshot_20160828-124955_zpsecmqk98c.png

IMG_20160827_125601_zps1qipqhxc.jpg

I am trying to figure out how to remove a slight delay in throttle response on the Kelly controller. Any pointers?

you can reduce the V range of it : (ex: 1.2 to 4.5 if it's a hall throttle , up the Low value until you get no dead zone,(keep a very small one to be sure to get 0
if it's a delay you want to change, there is a value of refresh timùe to lower as I remember ...you can post a screener of the settings if you need help

Dan, the settings I can adjust are in the screen shots above. I believe that I have the throttle effecting sliders adjusted in a way that matches what you described. I don't know what else to change. I am going to disable regen and see what that does. It even seems to have a minor delay when releasing the throttle I think I got used to it but a friend rode the bike and asked about it. Now I am trying to fix it because it's pretty noticeable when I am paying attention to it while riding.

Back