Wireless Wii Nunchuck *TESTERS WANTED

Woot! My bag-o-parts is in the mail! :D
Trying to learn all of this stuff, so figured it would be a good project.
Will report back!

Got it in the mail today! All hooked up in the "In Deck" box. Works perfectly. Cant wait to go for a ride.

psychotiller said:
Got it in the mail today! All hooked up in the "In Deck" box. Works perfectly. Cant wait to go for a ride.

Beauty. What nunchuck are you using?

I've been remiss in posting some instructions, so I'll do it here. I can split off a separate thread if needed, and eventually I'll make an independent page (maybe @ diyelectricskateboards.com):

Auto-cruise: a slow speed, about like a first kick. It's initially set at 5% throttle, but every hand-made board will have a different appropriate setting, so here's how to set it:
1) flip the board over, power everything up
2) bump the throttle, be sure the ESC(s) see the controller
3) press and hold C; let it get up to speed. (don't let go of C)
3a) if it DOESN'T move, hold C + the stick up for a bit until the wheels move slowish.
3b) if they move too fast, hold C+ the stick down until they get to the speed you want
-- this will be the "auto cruise" speed. It's meant to be about walking speed, nice and gentle
4) when you get the speed you want, either by up or down, hold C + the stick to one side; the wheels should keep moving at this speed. Hold for 5 seconds; after 3s the wiiceiver will lock in the new "auto cruise" speed.
5) check it -- drop C, let the wheels stop, then hold C and confirm that they go as fast as you want (pretty slow)
6) flip the board over, step up and kick off, then hold C. Ideally the board would get to about where you kicked off, and stay there. If it's too fast or slow, repeat 3a / 3b -- note that if you go below the "auto" setting and let go of the stick it'll try to accelerate back to it, so hold down till you get what you like, then hold over (all the way left/right) until it stays put, then count to 5.

You can re-set that "auto cruise" speed whenever you like. Hopefully it's weird enough to do that you won't accidentally reset it while tearing around town.

There's also a built-in calibration. The wiiceiver has a tiny built-in "neutral" spot, but you can set it exactly if you hold C while the wiiceiver is starting up. Takes about 5 seconds, just hold C with no throttle. I personally don't use the feature, as in testing I bounce between several nunchucks which seem to vary by a little, but the option is there if you're curious. It can ONLY get set right on startup.

Now that you have a calibrated auto-cruse: kick off and hold C, you should coast nice and slowly. Holding C now you're in cruise control, and auto-cruise will just set the minimum speed for cruise; useful for getting started without accidentally blasting off.

Holding C, bump the throttle up. Literally hit it more than half way and let go. Do this a few times, cruise will speed up. Bump it down (while holding C) and it'll slow down. If you let go of C you'll be in neutral, board will coast or whatever your ESCs do in neutral. You can hold C + up to accelerate, on my setup that's a little aggressive so I don't do it a lot, I mostly bump the stick.

Without C, the joystick is just a stick -- press all the way up and you'll get full throttle. I have NOT landed on my butt yet, but someone in this forum has. The board has run off without me, this works just the same as if you yank the trigger on an RC controller. There is a little built-in smoothing, but be gentle while getting used to the joystick.

Pull down (with no C) for "reverse" or brakes, however your ESC is set up.

The wiicevier does some light throttle smoothing -- it takes about a second to actually move the ESC from neutral to 100% throttle, if you slam the stick all the way up. With cruise on the throttle response (up/down) is intentionally gentle. Z button will remove most of the smoothing -- throttle will be much more responsive, and cruise will accelerate / decelerate more quickly.

Personally: I kick + hold C to start, then live on cruise control. Holding the stick up on cruise will accelerate at about my comfort level. When I need to slow down, I drop C and coast, or drop C + brakes. I rarely use the raw stick, but I find that I'm using it slightly more around people on sidewalks just for the faster response. I never use Z in my current setup (8S). At 4S I used it more.

There is also built-in activity detection, in case your remote batteries die or you drop it or something. If you are sufficiently enjoying yourself you won't activate it. If the board drops to idle while you're using the nunchuck, it's probably the activity thing -- let it back to neutral and it'll come back. Carve a bit or wiggle and you won't trigger it. The later code (which is on all the wiiceivers) is pretty good about this, but if you see it happening that could be the cause.

Please share your experiences. You've seen the header on the wiiceiver, it's wide open / hackable / tunable, if you have ideas for making it awesomer, please do so (and let us know).

austindavid said:
Beauty. What nunchuck are you using?

I got one of the Nyko Kama's.

torqueboards said:
Awesome psychotiller - Let us know how it goes. Should be seamless it's pretty awesome.

Will do!

Still waiting for mine, being half a world away sucks sometimes :mrgreen:
should be here before the end of next week.... so jealous.. :roll:
Will mount it on the destroyer as soon as it gets in.

Wow! You guys did an amazing job on this. I am really impressed! Tomorrow I plan on getting some actual mileage in. I have 2 sold for you when you have them available.
You're going to be stoked Beto!

psychotiller said:
Wow! You guys did an amazing job on this. I am really impressed! Tomorrow I plan on getting some actual mileage in. I have 2 sold for you when you have them available.
You're going to be stoked Beto!

Have you tried it yet? lol - Thanks to Austin for a job well done! He's put in some hours on it.

I've bench tested it and taken a couple of runs up and down my street. It's really easy to use. I like the fact that the joystick throttles up and down without the c or z buttons. Also Cruise control (c) is pretty cool too.

I'm glad you like it. I put ~15 miles in today and I like it more the more I use it. Let me know what you think and what needs to get changed.

I've got an order in for the first 3 printed boards, and I expect to get them in hand late next week or first week of June. If they work I intend to flood the market with as many of these things as torqueboards is willing to solder. Kits will be easier too, no wires to cut and the board is silkscreened with the components. Have your buddies get on torqueboards' list so they can get the next few units available.

If you can't update your own software I will send out updated units when it stabilizes, as long as you promise to send back the old ones so I can update them & send 'em out.

Hey Austin
Can I increase the smoothing on the throttle.. say from 0 to 100% in two seconds as opposed to one.. Im using a ESC whose soft start using 8 s is a little over the top... Id like to be able to get to full speed without the drama... Is there a value I can change_
thanks

beto_pty said:
Hey Austin
Can I increase the smoothing on the throttle.. say from 0 to 100% in two seconds as opposed to one.. Im using a ESC whose soft start using 8 s is a little over the top... Id like to be able to get to full speed without the drama... Is there a value I can change_
thanks

Yes, it's adjustable. I'm testing this on the bench, it looks like there are 2 things you need to touch.

A caution: we originally started out with a value about like that (about 2s) and decided it was too sloshy. Torqueboards and I reprogrammed our ESCs to use limits on current and startup power, and it had a better feel. If you want wiiceiver to do the smoothing, I recommend you remove any smoothing from the ESC -- linear throttle map, hard acceleration, etc. Otherwise the wiiceiver + ESC will both do smoothing and it makes for weird throttle response.

Pull the latest from github: https://github.com/jaustindavid/wiiceiver/archive/master.zip
in the main Wiiceiver tab, change these two things:

#define THROTTLE_SMOOTHNESS 0.05 // default "smoothing" factor; 0.05 =~ 1s, 0.02 =~ 2s
change this to 0.2:
#define THROTTLE_SMOOTHNESS 0.02 // beto changed this

#define SMOOTHER_MIN_STEP 0.003 // minimum change for smoothing; 0.003 for ~1s, 0.001 for ~2s
change this to 0.001:
#define SMOOTHER_MIN_STEP 0.001 // beto changed this

Testing this on my bench, the timing looks about right for a 2s startup. Try different values. They are NOT obviously proportional to timing, they are factors used in an exponential calculation. 0.02 "smoothness" takes about 2s to get from 0 to 100, and the "minimum step" at 0.001 is small enough that it looks hard to chase the smoother with the throttle stick.

If you can adjust the program on your ESC I think it might be worth trying a few things there also. At the very least I recommend having only one of the two devices doing any smoothing.

Lemme know how that works out.

Just got my bag-o-parts in the mail! Now get ready for lots-o-questions, Austin and Torque! :D

Awesome... now I really cant wait for my suff to get here.. :mrgreen:

drmacgyver said:
Just got my bag-o-parts in the mail! Now get ready for lots-o-questions, Austin and Torque! :D

BRING IT ON. Budget LOTS of time and patience, I've built 7 of them and I think each one takes about 3h for me. The PCB will be much easier.

also (for those playing along at home): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OMyipDXwUIevf9hT1LSHdhx5EEQ6rP9OY-iQ6avuLok/edit

I put in about 12 miles today in the riverbed. What a great ride! I noted day before yesterday there were dump trucks and street sweepers down there as I drove by. :shock: No debris, Super smooth, sooo much fun. I'm going to take the gopro there tomorrow and do it again.

Now for business,
I cant coast. If I let off the toggle the brakes gently slow me down to a stop, but they stay on.
If I'm holding C Ill just cruise at whatever speed I choose, but as soon as I let off C I come to a slow stop and cant coast.

I see how this can be a benefit used as a dead mans switch should I fall off the board. (I'm top heavy like a lawn dart) Is this what's intended?
How do you set it so that it's possible to push or cruise downhill unassisted by the motor though?

You should be able to coast in neutral. If you're dragging brakes it could be a few things:
Flip the board and watch the LEDs. In neutral they should both blink at 1/sec. If red is going faster its the Nunchuck. Restart the unit (reset button or power cycle) and hold C for a good 5 secs to center the stick. You only have to do this once.

Other possibility is that the ESC got weird on startup. I disable the autodetection in mine. I've demonstrated funniness to torqueboards too, its not real hard to confuse them. Just restart it in neutral and try again. This ESC business is next on my list to make more robust.

I'd say do both: restart it cold, hold C and no throttle for 5s and see how it goes. It shoukd be better than any RC remote.

austindavid said:
You should be able to coast in neutral. If you're dragging brakes it could be a few things:
Flip the board and watch the LEDs. In neutral they should both blink at 1/sec. If red is going faster its the Nunchuck. Restart the unit (reset button or power cycle) and hold C for a good 5 secs to center the stick. You only have to do this once.

Other possibility is that the ESC got weird on startup. I disable the autodetection in mine. I've demonstrated funniness to torqueboards too, its not real hard to confuse them. Just restart it in neutral and try again. This ESC business is next on my list to make more robust.

I'd say do both: restart it cold, hold C and no throttle for 5s and see how it goes. It shoukd be better than any RC remote.

Thanks! I'll get it adjusted. I already like it better.

austindavid said:
I believe you. Did you reset it, and restart the chuck holding C? Can you get a shot of the wiiceiver and the lights while it's at idle? Most importantly: do you have an Uno you can use to update the software?

Yeah, I've reset it a few times. I'll order an Uno right now. Here's another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVI9DxOO0g&feature=youtu.be

torqueboards said:
What ESC are you using psychotiller?

I've got it hooked up to my EZrun Pro 150a. I can test it in one of the other boards tomorrow which have either a Mamba Monster2 or Castle XL2 Which ESC's are you guys using?

Back