With or without Hall Sensors?

solbike

10 mW
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a motor (Crystalyte High power one) with or without sensors? What are the main differences and pros and cons of each style? Typically, I find that motors I get have very few problems (nearly always ends up being the battery BMS). The only motor problems I come across are burnt out Hall sensors so my gut feeling it to get rid of them. I haven't tried one without them, can anyone give me some information on what they'd suggest and the benefits or problems with going sensorless?

Thanks in advance,
Matt - http://www.solarbike.com.au

Matt, I presume you've already flown through this thread
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24593

Without sensors you can only run sensorless. With sensors, you can run sensored or sensorless.

Only one choice makes sense to me. Having it be your choice, even if you change your mind.

The pro's of running sensorless is that you eliminate all the hall sensor problems. The con's are shuttering (out of sync) problems ie: high current demands, high speed . But with slower trhrottle demands things smooth out. Also by going sensorless you need a CA that has a seperate speedometer sensor because CADP with out uses the halls to displat your speed.

I personally have gone sensorless on all my bikes because I constantly had hall problems( mostly water related) . Dogmans advice is good that by buying a sensored motor, you have the option of going sensorless if needed.

I can answer your question by substituting the words "Woman" for "Motor", and "breasts" for "Hall sensors".

solbike really meant to have said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a woman (Red head High passioned one) with or without breasts? What are the main differences and pros and cons of each style? Typically, I find that women I get have very few problems (nearly always ends up being the monthly PMS). The only woman problems I come across are sagged out breasts so my gut feeling it to get rid of them. I haven't tried one without them, can anyone give me some information on what they'd suggest and the benefits or problems with going breastless?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

:mrgreen:

As suggested get the motor that has the Halls installed, just in case you change your mind. I run sensorless and love it. Just have to get use to before mentioned issues. I did get up the 47mph with my sensorless setup with some throttle control. So sensorless isn't all that bad. I didn't have any issues before I went up in power. With that said, I have my 3 speed setting set that I don't get any out of sync issues and such in speed 1 and 2.

Drunkskunk said:
I can answer your question by substituting the words "Woman" for "Motor", and "breasts" for "Hall sensors".[/b]

:mrgreen:[/quote]
laughing.gif

You may need no balls,
yet be happy to have some
Some day

i doubt the original premise about hall sensors failing. they should last the entire life of the motor unless you do a twistoff and short them out. if the motor gets so hot that the hall sensors melt, the stator will be useless too.

I have one sensorless controller from some company and several sensored ones. I have never had a Hall fail and the trike starts right up even on a hill. I have used up to 54 volts on it and nary a problem. The sensorless is a backup as the time I tested it did not start up smoothly and at higher RPMs cut out a bit. Halls are pretty fail proof unles you are overheating your motor, as dnmun stated. I would always run sensored unless there was an emergency and I had no choice. My trike and me weigh 330 lbs and always can start on a uphill!
otherDoc

Heh heh, when it comes to women, I always say don't worry about her boobs, worry about her job. She has a job, you live in her house.

Back