Would like to make an eTrike less prone to tipping over

I hope you understand that the same things about a gyroscope that help a two wheeler stay upright, would make a three wheeler pick up onto two wheels in all sorts of situations. It's an old novelty, not helpful.

gyro_x_2_wheel_car_1.jpg

momus3 said:
That is a serious trike DDK! I love it, but it looks like a cop magnet. Them folks I don't want to attract.
Did you ever look at mine? I get a lot of positive comments from people that pass me or that I pass or stop next to, but no problems with LEO. :)

It's usually more about *how* you ride, not really *what* you ride.

It's a little different now, but very similar to this old pic:
file.php

Agree with that. Just haven't seen too many deltas with very low CG. So in general, the tadpoles tend to have the lowest seat, and lowest CG. It could be just that alone that makes them more stable at speed. I honestly never rode tadpoles enough to tell you if they also have the problem of jinking around a broken bottle at 30 mph. The adult trikes start to feel like they are on rails by 20 mph.

Rode a lot of delta trikes that EBK was selling once. Jason flew me out to PA just to ride all the trikes he started selling. The lowest delta was a heavy worksman, which had a very long wheelbase. We built Amberwolfs trike quite a bit longer than normal for a Schwinn or sun adult trike. And it was harder to tip, even when it was in the bare frame, lightest configuration. I think long wheelbase helps some, at least. But CG remains the big deal, as well as simple gross weight. Just harder to lift a wheel, the heavier that back end gets.

The other deltas that rode good, were the semi recumbent sun trikes. Picking out one of those is a no brainer to me. Much less tippy than the tall saddle adult sun trike, but still able to see over the hood of a car. Not over the hood of a big suv, but easily see over the hood of a honda, or ford, sedan. Damn comfortable trike, and if you really wanted a few more inches height, put a seat cushion on the chair.

talking about this one. 5-great-reasons-enjoy-recumbent-sun-seeker-bicycles.jpg

This one was even more stable, but too low to have your head seen when you get behind a car. It did not seem quite as stable as any of the tadpoles, but the tads seats may have been just a couple inches lower, or they were wider, so the front wheels could angle in a turn. EZ-3-USX-HD-69322-side-Sun-Seeker-Recumbents.jpg

When they don’t trip, they drift. Geometry decides which, and if it will be from the rear or the front.

I have seen the best ´trike’ in the form of a velomobile. It was riding on 2 wheels, but had a third that would deploy when stopping and lift automatically from 5 mph.

There you go. I liked Aussie jesters bike, which had stabilizer wheels that lowered any time the bike stopped rolling.

For those newer than 12 years ago, AJ was in a wheelchair, but refused to settle for a trike.

How far did it tilt over, at rest? Seems to me that would be an awkward compromise. You'd want to to be pretty far, a good deal farther than you'd ever want to lean in a turn, but take-off from there would look pretty wild. Maybe some kind of spring loaded retractable landing gear ...

Not sure which one you are asking about. If you look up Aussie Jester's posts, you should find it. Stopped, I got the impression it did not tilt. But moving, it became a regular bike.

OK. If anyone is motivated to search through 8736 posts to get a glimpse of this, the user name is AussieJester.

here :lol:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12810&hilit=stabiliser+chopper&start=150#p203516

youtube of actuators working

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12810&hilit=stabiliser+chopper&start=600#p236839

That's pretty awesome. It looks like it would take more than a little skill to be a competent rider on that thing, with the time it takes to extend the landing gear - more than perhaps many tricycle riders would care to deal with - but terrific option for someone who's able but disabled, to coin a phrase.

John in CR said:
Contrary to popular belief delta trikes can be just as stable as a tadpole. Unless it's a leaner it's all about the location of the CG.
That's definitely true. But taking similar designs, and swapping delta and tadpole designs, the tadpole will always be more stable during steering and braking (which is the most important case from a safety perspective.) Both designs can certainly be made safe _enough._

As you have already mention, keep CG as low as possible.
And riding technique will keep you right-side up as well, which is a learned skill specific to trike your model/build.
My first trike was a Sun....it was OK, but the model I had was prone to tipping over and I sold it shortly after I bought it.
I settled on a tadpole TerraTrike as a donor for my e-power build.
I engineered it with a focus on value, performance, and stealth.
Value: All-in cost is less than $1500. 100% solar powered (charges in garage using solar panel/controller....panel is not on trike).
Stealth: Most people can not even tell it's e-powered! Looks like a standard unpowered trike. Motor is super-quiet.
Performance: 28MPH top speed using 12S "sport" pack. Using 10S 18AH pack range is over 50 miles. Weighs only 49.4 lbs.
Here is a video which shows trike being ridden 20+mph in curves on one of my favorite paved paths. No tipping over. Riding technique involving leaning in curves and a dialed-in seat with firm lateral support provide very stable ride even in curves at speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_mHqUxeXw
Fast forward to 3:30 minutes to see best performance in curves. I'm actually leaning heavily into the turns, and alternating my anchor leg that is pushes my body towards the inside of executed turn.
Most recent picture of trike:
Untitled.gif

Ultimately I want to build pure electric somewhere between a:

Peraves Monotracer - https://www.peravescz.com/

and a

Velotilt- https://gearjunkie.com/velotilt

maybe a more direct copy of the Tilter City, https://www.designboom.com/technology/tilter-city-compact-ev/ but since it was at EICMA in 2011 with supposed 2012 production but still not available, I put it in the same category as the Lit Motors self balancing cabin motorcycle that uses 2 gyros on gimbals which has been on the radar the same amount of time yet no production. Both seem production worthy but those behind them don't have the business savy to make them real.

Back