XB-300Li X-Treme

mdc

100 µW
Hi

I am new here, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this bike or any thoughts.
Is 300 watts big enough to get 20mph? I am around 230 pounds
I think I like the idea of full electric or switch to pedal assist, I have pretty bad back problems but would like to pedal until the back hurts to much then switch to electric power.
Any thoughts on the battery system it has?
Any questions I should ask them that are missing in the info below?

xb300li-preview.jpg

Power: Electric
Watts: 300 Watt
Motor Type: Brushless Hub Motor - Motor is in center of rear wheel
Gears & Speed's: 7 Speed Shimano Tourney® Gears & Shifter
Amps: 56 AMP Circuit (7 Batteries at 8 AMP's each)
Volts: 24 Volts (Each Battery Is 3.6 Volts)
Batteries: 7 - Lightweight Lithium Batteries In A Sealed Removable Pack
Tire Size: 26" x 1.95" on Aluminum Wheels
Charger: Smart Charger Included
Tool Kit: Included
Speed: 20 MPH
Distance: Up to 20 - 25 miles per charge - can still pedal if charge is lost
Throttle Type: Variable Speed Control - Twist Throttle - or - Pedal & Power assisted
Key Start: Yes
Frame Type/Size: 100% Aluminum - Very Light Weight / 18"
Forks: RST Capa® T7 Front Hydraulic Forks Made (Top Name Brand)
Braking System: Front and Rear Brakes
Drive System: Rear Hub Motor (Motor is in rear rim) + Pedal Power
Head Light Yes
Measurements: Wheel to Wheel 72" - Width 25" - To Bars 37"
Adjustable Seat Height 37 3/4" to 45 3/4"
Carton Size (LxWxH): 58 x 11 x 30 inches
Shipping Weight: 63 Lbs
Bicycle Weight: 52 Lbs (Including the light weight battery pack)
Maximum Rider Weight: 350 Lbs
Horn/Bell Included: Yes
Battery Indicator: Yes
Cargo Rack: Included
Warranty: 90 Day X-Treme Warranty - 1 Year Battery Warranty

I think there's a place 60 mi. away from me in Newton, IA that sells these. They loaned out about 100 of them to University staff at ISU and I've seen a few around. I'm highly suspicious of anyone selling e-bikes who lists a specification this way:
Amps: 56 AMP Circuit (7 Batteries at 8 AMP's each)
Volts: 24 Volts (Each Battery Is 3.6 Volts)
Batteries: 7 - Lightweight Lithium Batteries In A Sealed Removable Pack

It will put out more than 300 watts during acceleration and on hills. The best way to determine if its good for you is to take a test ride if possible and make sure to quiz them about their warranty.

It looks like a Bafang geared hubmotor, which should be good for 20 MPH. If its really 24V then you could use a 36V battery if you want more speed. You might want to look at the R-Martin bikes. They seem very similar except for the front disc brake, a battery that has almost twice the capacity, and are only $800.
http://www.rmartinbikes.com/LX1-electric-bicycle.html

Thank you for your reply gogo.
The R-martin bike looks interesting thank you for that link!

"I'm highly suspicious of anyone selling e-bikes who lists a specification this way:"
Could you explain more on this and what should I be looking for as far as battery specifications?

I have heard the name Bafang mentioned before here, is that pretty good motor and is that whats on the R-martin bike?

With 7 series connected cells, you don't get 7 x 8 "amps" out of the pack. Whatever the current capability is for a single cell, that's the limitation. But it shouldn't be a concern for you here.

They should be quoting the capacity in Amp-hours for the total pack, e.g. 20 Ah.

mdc said:
"I'm highly suspicious of anyone selling e-bikes who lists a specification this way:"
Could you explain more on this and what should I be looking for as far as battery specifications?

I have heard the name Bafang mentioned before here, is that pretty good motor and is that whats on the R-martin bike?

The industry standard and the most meaningful way to state the battery specification would be 24V 8AH for the XB battery. When you wire the indiviual cells in a battery in series, the voltage is multiplied, but not the amperage. For them to state "56 amp circuit" is misleading at best. If you wired the cells in their batteries in parallel to get 56 amps you would be at 3.6V. So, I have to wonder if they know anything about their product and it makes me wonder what kind of service you would get from them if you had problems. I envision someone in an office ordering stuff from china and using cut and paste on their computer to make the promotional materials without anyone technically savy in the organisation to clue them in.

To get total capacity (watts) you would then multiply 24V*8AH = 192 Wh. For comparison, the R-Martin bike has a 36V 10 AH battery which has 360 Wh capacity. I'm 220 Lbs. and have an R-Martin X1 bike that gives me 25 Wh/mi. without pedalling.

For $800 the R-Martin seems about the best value I've seen for a hubmotor e-bike. The bafang geared hubmotor is a great choice for 20MPH. Its got a good balance of acceleration, hill climbing ability, quietness and efficiency.

If you can test drive one, that is the best route to a decision. Depending on how handy you are, you could also install a kit on a bike that you already like. There are plenty of people here on the ES forums that would enjoy informing and guiding you through that process. We all like to follow along in the journey, so do let us know what you decide.

Thank you all for the very helpful information.

I have a better understanding now.
So there claim of "Distance: Up to 20 - 25 miles per charge" is most likely not correct since 192 watt hours is not very much.
On the R-martin bike you have 36v*10ah = 360 watt hour, and you are getting 25wh a mile, then you are getting about 14 -15 mile distance?
Is 18mph your top speed on the X-1 and what would the average speed be maybe 15mph?

Avoid any product with a big "X" in the name.
Avoid any product with the word "Extreme" in the name.
If they combine the two, avoid, shun, burn at the stake.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a good product with the Word X-treme in the name?

As for the claims, I call B.S. on there range claims, unless thats the range between breakdowns.

Back