Your Creation's Before & After Pics

ICE.T said:
How do you like the AllCell Batts?

So far, I'm pleased, with the caveat that these are the only batteries I've ever owned (it's my first ebike).

My main reason for choosing them is the light weight of NiCoMn: the 13Ah pack I have only weighs 8.8lbs. That helps keep my total bike weight at around 60lbs, which, if you check around ES, is relatively light, particularly for a commuter/cargo bike. I already have a 20-25 mile range (depending on how hard I push, of course), and if I add another pack I'll have almost 50 mile range with under 18 lbs of batteries. That's pretty good. These batteries are not suitable for high current output applications, but for commuting and cargo carrying they work fine. If I get a second battery, I'll be able to crank up the current limit if I want. Oh, and they have a 2 year warranty, which is unique, I believe.

That being said:

1. The cold weather performance seems quite a lot worse than I expected. I haven't quantified any of this very carefully yet, but the voltage sag (and hence top speed) and range is really taking a hit in 30F weather. For example, above, say, 60F, I can do my round-trip commute of 19 miles without recharging at an average speed in the low 20s (mph), but in cold weather I need to have time to recharge if I don't want to end up peddling the last bit home unassisted. Again, though, I have limited experience with how this would compare with other chemistries or manufacturers. I plan on trying to document this in the months ahead.
  2. Regarding cold weather, I'm experimenting with preheating the pack for cold weather riding, and I'm having some weird problems with the BMS cutting out. I don't know if this has something to do with the phase change material or not... again, I have to explore this in more depth.
  3. I'd really like to bump the voltage of my system up to 60-66V, and these are not available from AllCell. I'm inquiring about getting a custom pack of this type, but barring that I'll have to roll my own if I want that voltage. That sounds fun, but playing with batteries is not that high on my priority list--I'd be happy to just buy plug and play units. The obvious option is to go to ping or cell_man and just get different chemistry cells (and take the weight penalty).
If I had a spare grand, I'd buy both types of battery and compare them. Maybe in the spring...

Before

P1040749-1024x768.jpg

After

P1040915-1024x768.jpg

Work in progress :)

More details here: http://extronebike.ca/

I don't really have a before pic but you can see the bike didn't change much. This was an old Bianchi WUSS I had. This is the first of whats going to be many re-do-overs. I wanted to keep it clean and will build a aluminum frame mount eventually. Thanks to this site for all the great ideas.
Also thanks to Grin Tech for the kit and I'm sure I voided all and any warranties I had but hey whats the fun in that. Yes I own a welder and am not afraid to use it.
As the weather warms up I'll have to re-mount the controller but for now its running cool and I have it set at 23 mph max.

Attachments

• PC230008.JPG
    PC230008.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 6,442
  • PC230018.JPG
    PC230018.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 6,442
  • PC230011.JPG
    PC230011.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 6,442
  • PC230001.JPG
    PC230001.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 6,442
My latest build. A Nirve Cannibal with a Magic Pie 3 kit.

I actually did this one in the spring. A real looker and attention getter. This is not a bike to ride if your trying to go incognito! This is probably the most comfortable ride so far. Especially with the seat so low to the ground.

c7b81a02.jpg

Cannibal3.jpg

Cannibal2.jpg

Thinking about welding on a plate for a brake caliper so I can actually use the disc brake. I do use a local metal fabrication shop for jobs like this and he has shown me he can attach one and it will look like it was always there.

Cannibal022.jpg

Right now I just have a lever with no cable but it does do the Regen braking on the front, that does seem to work well enough. Not great for wet of slippery roads though. I am thinking of having a plate added on the rear as well. I'll go dual disk brakes and dual wheel drive. I love dual wheel drives! Ill turf that internal 3 speed hub on the rear and add an 8 speed freewheel.

020-1.jpg

I have done a few different orientations. Here with three batteries to go the distance.

Cannibal016.jpg

And here with the battery in the frame hanging by Velcro. This is the current configuration.

019-3.jpg

I Actually have a second bike exactly like this that is still stock with with no kit on it. I'm Currently looking around for a LWB recumbent to do a build on. Anyone have something to Trade? Of course you would have to be local to me.

Gary

I have actually laid the battery on the forks to see how well it would fit. I have also considered mounting it on the front frame behind the forks. it still seems inside the frame is best. At least for the first battery :) . im actually considering one of my stainless cased 48v20 or 48v30 batteries inside the frame.

The MP3 the controller is in the motor.

Gary

Picked up this 97 Gary Fisher MTB a few years back used for $150 - was really like new just needed a saddle and I added Kenda 1.95 slicks.
Sturdy Cromo Steel frame and decent components made this my most likely Ebike candidate for my first conversion. Added 48V1000W Yescom Kit, swapped in my Brooks B67 to take some of the bumps of the road (suspension seat post as well for double suspension) and a 48V15AH Sunthing28 battery. I found an insulated cooler bag from a company picnic years ago that fit the battery and fit in the triangle. Two velcro straps secured it in place. Battery bag that came with the kit houses the controller and loose wiring for now. $20 Amazon.com Wattmeter provides live info on AH used, voltage and wattage.

Attachments

• Gary Fisher Before.jpg
    Gary Fisher Before.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 5,132
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 5,132
Golden Motor Canada" [img said:
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/GoldenMotorCanada/Cannibal022.jpg[/img]

It looks like your axle is about to spin in the dropouts, get a torque arm, especially with regen.

Before:
Picture the frame below **without** the shock.
DSCF3026.JPG

After: The bike below... in this pic the battery box is removed. I've also added mud flaps since this pic.
DSCF3834.JPG

Good Eye Veloman,

If its the Regen doing it then it should be turned the other way. SO that most likely means it was rocking both ways. If it ever stops snowing I shall take a pair of torque arms of the shelf and mount them on. That's the beauty of being a dealer. Everything seems free when you need it :)

Gary

Delta Tripper:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22720

I don't have a before pic of the BMX bike; I got it years ago pretty messed up; same for some of the other bits. So a series of pics shows the pieces as they came together:

Trike "kit":
file.php

The gold PanWorld frame I used the seattube from for the steerer extension is in the background behind the left rear wheel of this mockup for a potential freakbike:
file.php

Mostly assembled:
file.php

Present "final" form, as ridden on 5-mile test commute to work and back, except the ammocan pack was mounted *under* the bottom rack, just above the center axle hump:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

veloman said:
Golden Motor Canada" [img said:
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l514/GoldenMotorCanada/Cannibal022.jpg[/img]

It looks like your axle is about to spin in the dropouts, get a torque arm, especially with regen.
X2 - was thinking the same thing when I saw that pic

Customer Build

Base Frame Trek 4900

Frame and Forks.jpg

A Bunch Of Bike Components:

Components.jpg

3 days work, including building a custom battery pack n harness (4* 6s5ah == 12s 10ah) (bit of a wait for batteries, postal service over holidays is crap :) )

Finished bike, 20 am controller, Cohnis motor rear wheel, Battery pack mount via a modified seatpost rack clamped to seat stay, Battery pack contained in a leather bottle holder from Orion cruise ships, strapped to the in frame modified seatpost rack... controller at rear of seat stay, fused on off switch, on rack stays beneath seat, connectors and cables held in small triangle pack.

DolbyTrek4900LHS.jpg

DolbyTrek4900RHS.jpg

Sold for AUD$1000 with power supply and 7amp charger

Joe

my "5 wth/km club" e-bike =)
throttle is just button for "jump and lazy pedaling"-style riding.
E2.jpg

some video

We start with a perfectly good Surly frame:
ATTACH]

And we void the frame warranty thus:
ATTACH]

Everything inside the triangle, 10Ah battery, Crystalyte 4840 controller and key switch, and hub motor on a Large Marge offset rim.
That's right, Marzocchi and Aerospoke in the front.

Watched this lady that lives in my apartments drive up next to the dumpster and her son got out of the trunk this 90's Specialized and put it next to it. The rear rim was taco'd. Grabbed it and had an extra motor/controller so....After: Wood battery box holds 14s2p LiPo's. Wires dump into the oil can (next revision coming). Lexan side covers just clip on the tank. Simple. Rides like it looks but egrin is bigger on this bike. BMC V2T, 55 lbs, steel frame. Estyle....

Dump 1 is the before photo.

Attachments

• cream 2.jpg
    cream 2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 6,088
Wow! I like that Indian! 8)
Really well done - take a long bow :wink:

Neat! KF

That Indian is one classy ride!

Mongoose%20Othero.jpg

Mongoose Otero Comp (Just bought.)
Its gonna be elEctriFied :D

Info:
http://roslinsoutlet.se/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_36_37&products_id=85

Wow, CogHog. I just took a look at the before pic of the Indian and you are a miracle worker! Great job! My only question is why is the seat so far back? Are you super tall?

PetersReviews said:
Wow, CogHog. I just took a look at the before pic of the Indian and you are a miracle worker! Great job! My only question is why is the seat so far back? Are you super tall?
Seat setback? You want to see seat setback?

http://tinyurl.com/bnpx2ty

I think it's more than just a "tall" thing.... something to do with foot size, shin length vs thigh length, plus other things.

Pedal along, shift up a few gears so your butt is floating just off the saddle, and then shift back down again: wherever your butt lands, that's where the saddle should be IMHO.... Looks like a crime against nature, but that's where mine winds up.

Back