Your ideal way to 'park' your bike at home...

adriftatsea

100 W
I'm in the process of designing a 'garage/shed' just for my ebikes and lithium batteries used for solar. Basically something that can't burn down, has overhead reeled connections to charger(s), wall mounted 'emergency stop' buttons, easy to view charge status displays, and some fire suppression.

But, for storage, I can't find any method better than resting the bike against a wall.

Heavy ebikes and typical bike racks, i think, lead to bent wheels over time and I'm not sure I'm up for lifting my 50+lb bike onto a wall mounted hook *multiple times per day*.

I've also thought about using sythetic rope + pulleys to get them off the ground.

Just looking for other ideas and the search tool wasn't much help.

My solutions probably aren't going to work for you, since CrazyBike2 leans on it's cargo pods when parked, and SB Cruiser is a trike, so just sits on any level ground on it's wheels.

DayGlo Avenger had a doubleleg kickstand, and would rest with its' front wheel in the air just a bit, rear on the ground. Ideally I'd've cut the kickstand legs to get it fit so there would be four points of contact instead of three, but I never got to that.

Other experiments with "normal" bikes I just leaned against a wall, or had a normal kickstand.

But the simplest yet most "safe" from tipping parking method I've tried on a "normal" bike is a wide-stance doubleleg kickstand adjusted to a height that just holds up the bike but doesn't lift either wheel off-ground, on flat/level hard surfaces.

If you do need to haul a bike up or down a cieling mount, get one of the towing reels like Harbor Freight has, runs on 12V and can haul the bike up and down for you. At least one ES member has posted about doing that, though I can't remember who or which one they used. :/

You just need good kickstands. For the heavier bikes, I favor two normal stands. One at the crank, and one at the rear axle. For a lighter e bike, a single stand works fine if it's located at the axle, or bolts to the stay near the axle.

If the floor is nice level concrete, then it's hard to beat a center stand. But it's true, you can still bump the bike and knock it over when using center stands.

The hoists for bikes make sense to me, only if you are the kind who would ride it one weekend a year. The wall hooks are only good for light road bikes. For a 35 pound MTB, they are a pain.

Wheel stands are a last option. It won't bend the wheel of a MTB if you use the rear wheel. Or whatever wheel has the motor.

Lastly, there are wheel stands that support a rear wheel off the ground by the axle stub. These are very common for racing motorcycles that have no stand to save weight.

I usually just lean mine. Although I've found a horizontal metal rebar or flatstock sticking out is great to lift the seat unto. Works under the nose of seat or behind and you can make it just high enough to raise the rear tire a litte. Works well for oiling chains and stuff.

If you gotta do something fancy for easy out/way storage, think aboot a harbor freight ac hoist. Never needed it for the bike, but a i've alot of use on the hd one and trolley, and they're sooo much less than the name brand hoists w/trolley.

http://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html

I use center stands and weigh them down using dumbells & zipties to keep the bikes from tipping over.

If you're keen on making something, you can use something similar to what I use with my motorcycles.
Not all of them have kickstands, so I just got used to the roll-on-roll-off wheel chocks (wheelstands).

mine looks similar to this pic I found using google:
BW-CH-DX1.jpg

I cant remember where I bought mine, its red... and i bought it 10+ years ago...

Back