Zippy Flightmax / Turnigy lipo testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
GGoodrum said:
For one thing, the voltage drop is a lot less. I've hit my 24s3p pack with 100A+ and I've never seen the voltage dip much below about 94V, from about 98V. Like I said, you are going to love these. :mrgreen:

-- Gary

Love the LiPo helping stuff you've made Gary. :)

Speaking of voltage drop, with Jason saying the new 5Ah 50-100C cells are <1mOhm... That means a typical e-bike 24s 10Ah pack would have a total resistance of 12mOhm... That is so insanely low!!! That means, if the pack was charged to 100v, and you discharged it at 100amps, it would only sag 1.2v!! 100amp load on your pack, and it sags to 98.8v. Talk about rock solid! :) :) :)

It's about time Doc! :p

vanilla ice said:
With the normal paired bullet connectors you can link up any odd number of packs together in series with the as-is plugs. No need to build a series wire harness.
This is true, although you're going to end up with a big rats next of 10ga wire all jumbled up.

liveforphysics said:
For the math impaired, that would be 500amp burst discharge from a 5Ah pack that fits in your pocket. :)
Wow, this will be a new era of lipo. And KFF :lol:

Hey Thanks for the encouragment guys! :wink:

i'm sure i will love them,... they are currently out of stock ( -260 ) but i'm sure the next shippment will arrive son at HK.. .. i hope!

I plan on using 12 packs (for 24s 3p) but i began with 8 packs ( shipping is a bit lower for 8 + 4 packs i think..

Luke,
that 1000w chargery charger look interesting!!.. i'll get info on it... i'm glad you love your repaired dewalt :wink: . on it it was just the BMS blown .. I have half a ton of them.. so... :mrgreen:

btw.. These nano carbon tube lithium battery are interesting!.. I remember we heard about then like 2 years ago... but they only was able to do 30 cycles before reaching the 80% capacity threshold

and now they seem to be availlable soon ( i guess they ameliorated something and they are about to come to the market! ?

100C.. lol.. just close to the european SAFT cells ( 250C) !! for military application...

lol.. it will come one day that the cells wire link will have higher resistance than the cells!

We will need supra conductor to avoid lost in a battery due only from the wire resistance.. lol

I wonder at wich starting price they will be?

uohm cells.. lol

Doc

liveforphysics said:
For the math impaired, that would be 500amp burst discharge from a 5Ah pack that fits in your pocket. :)
So, no more hunting for supercaps to do your cell welding with. Just buy lipo packs so you can weld your A123s together. :lol:

I built a bike for someone the other day using a 12S lipo pack and a little 20 amp controller. I don't normally use switches for pack voltage but thought I'd try a double pole 20 amp switch with both contacts connected in parallel so in theory it should have handled 40a. After turning it on and off twice it stopped working. I busted the switch open and found it had spot welded the contacts shut :lol:

Hyena said:
I built a bike for someone the other day using a 12S lipo pack and a little 20 amp controller. I don't normally use switches for pack voltage but thought I'd try a double pole 20 amp switch with both contacts connected in parallel so in theory it should have handled 40a. After turning it on and off twice it stopped working. I busted the switch open and found it had spot welded the contacts shut :lol:

I'm getting a lot of arcing damage on my Andersons too. With these suckers it mght be time for a bleed resistor? Definitely pay attention to AC or DC rated switches. There is a difference!

Hello all,

I am hesitant to do this but I would feel like a jackass if someone else experienced this because of our feedback here in this thread...

I made a purchase (actually 2 seperate purchases) from hobbyking back on the 23rd to be shipped via EMS... I received very quickly 2 tracking EMS numbers but only one showed up in the system (EMS HK or EMS US)...

I have since received one of my orders (the one which tracked - EA048602764HK) an AeroDrive XP motor... however, I have contacted customer service at hobby king twice and twice I was given ... there is no way to sugar coat it, completely false information.

First contact - The rep tried to say my product had just come into stock, these were the Zippy 20C 6S packs (3 of them) and when I placed the order they were in stock, marked as reserved after payment and they sent me a shipment notice with the EMS tracking number EA048600922HK which you may feel free to check via the HK Post website or the USPS website, it's not in the system.

Second Contact - Rep claimed that HK Post was having system issues, I gave it 24 hours more and still EA048600922HK was not in the HK or US (it would have been in the US system by then) tracking systems so I emailed HK Post directly...

Response from HK Post to my inquiry (inquiry included):

Dear Michael Keefer,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We regret have no posting records of the above item number being received in our system up till this moment. Would you please re-confirm the correct item number and provide us for tracking.

Without the proper item number, we are unable to ascertain whether the mail was posted through Hongkong Post or not. Please contact your sender / supplier direct for the matter.

Best regards,

Mail Tracing Office
Hongkong Post

----- Original Message -----
To: mto@hkpo.gov.hk
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 9:57 AM
Subject: Tracking system down? RE: EA048600922HK

Hello,

I was informed the tracking system is experiencing issues and that you are in possession of parcel EA048600922HK, can you please confirm if this parcel is in transit? I assume it is not since it would have passed borders by now and it does not track in the US side system either.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and my apologies for taking your time.

Respectfully,

----

So although I am not telling anyone to stop ordering from HobbyKing, be aware that something is not quite right with this whole situation... I am hoping this is resolved monday but I didn't want to wait out (just in case they are having holiday sales) and have anyone else in a similar situation.

I will post back when I have more information regarding this issue.

-Mike

They got me too. I pulled the bad pack I got apart today and the bad cell is 0.00V and passing current straight through it. It has no visible damage and I can only assume that it was bad from the start. The worst part is, the cell on the opposite side is crushed pretty bad but still reads 3.8V. The other packs have similar dents on the corners that I thought were just the shrink wrap. I'm afraid that the corners will be crunched on a few of the cells once I tear the rest of the packs open. I'm probably not even going to use them. I might pull all of the packs apart and use the good, undamaged cells to build good packs but the individual packs are stuck together pretty well with sticky stuff, so it's scary to pull them apart. In all, Hobby King's bad business ethics, poor quality control, and horrible shipping department have cost me $627.33, delayed my project, and wasted hours of my time. You guys that just keep sending these thieves money are feeding a monster. It makes me sick. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!

mdd0127 said:
but the individual packs are stuck together pretty well with sticky stuff, so it's scary to pull them apart.

ZapPat had a thread about finding a substance to dissolve that "sticky stuff". He eventually found something that worked, though I don't remember it (Either methy* or menth*, *=wild mark). I'd have to go thread hunting.

methyl alcohol, here's the thread
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17494&p=257128&hilit=unisolv#p257128

And a teflon (for non stick pans) spatula for working them apart... that's always been my best friend, decent tape doesn't hurt either to prevent unwanted shorts as your piecing things back together.

I have had one order long ago with 2 packs having a 0v cell... To be honest (in the current situation I hate to defend them) I don't hear too much about packs with dead cells anymore... I would say it's fairly unlikely (when they send the packs in the first place) = )_

-Mike

"Denatured" alcohol will dissolve almost any of the tape adhesives I have ever run across.

It also is the only thing that easily removes Krylon paint, even after it has been dry for 20 years. :lol: (soak rag in DA, lay on painted surface, cover with plastic bag to keep fumes in, wait a couple of hours, and start wiping it off...might need more DA every so often).

It makes sense that methyl alcohol would then also work, as methanol is typically added in some proportion to the ethanol DA is mostly made of, to make it DA.

My 2 orders, summary so far.

1st order was placed on April 15, Flightmax packs were on backorder but a note below says they restock every 30 days, i assumed there was no way i'd be ordering on day 1 of that 30 day so what the heck.. placed an order including a Turnigy 4x6S charger etc.. 30 days later the packs were ( and still are ) on backorder, so i contacted HK and inquired as to when the shipment of zippy's might arrive.. they answerd " we don't know.. " .. so i waited a few more days and then contacted them again " lisa " was very prompt at answering my emails so i changed the zippy packs to turnigy and paid the difference right away.. That order has a tracking number, but no scanning yet meaning it has not yet been given to the post office.

2nd order, May 13, paid paypal right away, it shipped May 24 in Hong Kong and should arrive tomorrow as it has cleared customs. That's a whole 7 business days, tad long but acceptable imo..

I just hope my 9 pack Zippy order will finally arrive one day....

I had the 4 x 6s compact charger ordered a month ago and it is now in ontario.. so i expect to get it this week...

What are your experience with back order zippy order and total real delivery time??

Doc

From everything I have ever heard never order from HK unless it is in stock!

Doctorbass said:
What are your experience with back order zippy order and total real delivery time??

Having a backorder for zippy lipos is like paying for front row seats for the return of Jesus Christ :lol:

Subscribing for email stock notification is a much better idea. Like ypedal I had some on back order, they were in stock the day before when I added them to my cart but didnt notice until the last minute but still ordered them hoping it wouldn't be too long (noting the 30 day thing). 6-8 weeks later there was no sign of them coming back into stock (and this was a few months back and they're still out of stock) so I cancelled the whole order and created a new one for turnigys + other bits (which sat 'processing' for 2 weeks before it was shipped) The whole value ($300+) of my cancelled order was not refunded but turned into bonus store credit. This didnt really matter to me as I was planning to order again anyway but if I was someone else and decided I wanted to take my money elsewhere it would have been an issue.

Meh, a few hiccups but I'll still give them my business. I'm never in that much of a rush so I don't pay extra for express postage and that way I'm not dissappointed when stuff doesn't arrive quickly. That said I have had items from HK sent by regular post that arrived 5 days after I placed the order which is pretty good.

swbluto said:
drewjet said:
From everything I have ever heard never order from HK unless it is in stock!

Seriously, who orders something not in stock?

hmmmm.... ... me..... :oops:

I was hoping that after at least one month these pack was B-O, they could arrive soon...

I think i already saw many products being B-O and arriving few weeks after that no?

Doc

Trivial stuff seems to come in and out of stock quickly but lipo seems to take a while, particularly the zippy. I think part of the "polymer" in their composition is baby harp seal extract :lol:

Well I ordered the FlightMax 6S when they were in stock and still got that damn bogus EMS tracking number and so far no response from HK...

I did pop a complaint via paypal, remembering only important people at HobbyKing have access to the paypal account and knowing employees won't be able to hide it from the upperlings..

I must assume they care at some level and that their employee base is the potential issue (with the who knows responses and bogus EMS)

Someone else posted a similar bit about getting an EMS tracking number that never made it to HKPost, how many others in recent (say 2 weeks) has this happened to ? On lipo orders ?

One or two more like this and I will assume someone helped themselves on the way to HKPost or perhaps on their last day at the office?

Quick someone check ebay for X Zippy Flightmax Lipo... or maybe a waste of time, betcha there is one chinese person riding an ebike powered by LiPo today instead of their old SLA = )_

-Mike

Add me to the list I guess. My order for turnigy that was in stock at the time has a tracking number, and claims to be shipped. But HK post never heard of it after 10 days now. Wonderfull. My chargers came quick.

mwkeefer said:
Someone else posted a similar bit about getting an EMS tracking number that never made it to HKPost, how many others in recent (say 2 weeks) has this happened to ? On lipo orders ?

One or two more like this and I will assume someone helped themselves on the way to HKPost or perhaps on their last day at the office?
I searched their forum on Jason's user name, and he had a recent post stating there were some hold-ups with shipping due to customs (probably). He seemed aware of the issue, but it was still a mystery as to exactly what was going on.

You can probably search on his name or user name and shipping or customs & should nail the post.

Spoof yourself as Methods or physics & get instant satisfaction & custsrv. :mrgreen: :lol:

Edit: Here ya go...
Jason5001
Replies: 2
Views: 95
View Post Hobby King EMS is more slower than air parcel
Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:53pm
Sorry. HKP is doing some sort of extra screening at the moment. We're seeing random delays on various EMS, Air Parcel and registered orders. There is nothing we can do about it. What weight has gone up?

Yes this is why I emailed hk post then called, if our issue was customs the packages would still track via ems but would be listed as customs exception.

Dogman your sit is same as mine, got other stuff fast and nogo on tracking #... anyone else? Dogman how many packs? Let's add this up.

Are the others in that thread in our sit with bad tracking?

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back