10kw Carbon build possible????

Chalo said:
flathill said:
Metal matrix or amorphous metal for the win.

From Wikipedia:
" One modern amorphous metal, known as Vitreloy, has a tensile strength that is almost twice that of high-grade titanium. However, metallic glasses at room temperature are not ductile and tend to fail suddenly when loaded in tension, which limits the material applicability in reliability-critical applications, as the impending failure is not evident. "

Sounds like just the thing for a bike frame. (Not.)

wow a minute on wikipedia makes you an expert (not)

yeah a single crystal bike frame would
totally suck having no grain and no defects. they already do this for military. it will trickle
down when china hacks the recipe

To conclude, we herein demonstrate that the brittle fracture in BMGs under tensile loading can be overcome by introducing a gradient amorphous structure through the carefully controlled SMAT process. Owing to the high volume fraction of the liquid-like atoms near the surface, shear banding is promoted while cavitation/fracture is suppressed, thus giving rise to the tensile ductility which cannot be obtained otherwise in the as-cast BMGs. Most importantly, the tensile ductility enhancement so obtained does not sacrifice but rather boosts the fracture strength of the glass, which somewhat reconciles the longstanding strength-ductility paradox facing BMGs.

Metal matrix /SMAT process sounds like it can produce some amazing stuff.

On adding cores, one thing to keep in mind is the ride / flex change it will bring with it. Solid is good if you need max strength but it will not flex anywhere near the same and ride may suffer. I would think you will want to keep core stiffness to a point where they help maintain the shape of the tubes and not much more unless the tube is way under designed to handle the stresses your applying. The cored tubes /sections will also rely on adjacent unmodified sections to take most of the flex and may cause unforeseen stress concentrations in those sections. Proceed cautiously.

Arr yes, Im under no illusion that this is definitely going to work. Im sure there will be all sorts of stresses and strains going on, the fill is fairly flexible but no idea how it will effect ride etc. I did take it for a unelectrified ride today and have obviously forgotten how hard pedaling is, especially with fat M/C tyres:)
Crown is off and HS3540 back on, for a slow 1kw ride to start.

Ok, first test bike pretty much together and running; Controller set at 70amps so going to ride around for a week or so and see if it holds up before any more power goes on...

Its hard to judge the size of it on pics but its pretty small. 22inch rims and a 16 or 17" frame. Total weight as is 31.4kg however it does have fairly weighty Shinkos on, brooks saddle and some other motorcycle parts, so weight could be reduced.
Still waiting on the Revolt motor so may go mid drive once i've checked for fitment possibilities but may also take Rix's suggestion of fitting a Mac10 to see how light i can get it....

All in all a pleasurable build with many possibilities to carry out mods with basic tools, dremel, files, saws etc. Proof is in the pudding though, so hopefully a nice dry day tomorrow:)

flathill said:
Chalo said:
flathill said:
Metal matrix or amorphous metal for the win.

From Wikipedia:
" One modern amorphous metal, known as Vitreloy, has a tensile strength that is almost twice that of high-grade titanium. However, metallic glasses at room temperature are not ductile and tend to fail suddenly when loaded in tension, which limits the material applicability in reliability-critical applications, as the impending failure is not evident. "

Sounds like just the thing for a bike frame. (Not.)

wow a minute on wikipedia makes you an expert (not)

yeah a single crystal bike frame would
totally suck having no grain and no defects. they already do this for military. it will trickle
down when china hacks the recipe

To conclude, we herein demonstrate that the brittle fracture in BMGs under tensile loading can be overcome by introducing a gradient amorphous structure through the carefully controlled SMAT process. Owing to the high volume fraction of the liquid-like atoms near the surface, shear banding is promoted while cavitation/fracture is suppressed, thus giving rise to the tensile ductility which cannot be obtained otherwise in the as-cast BMGs. Most importantly, the tensile ductility enhancement so obtained does not sacrifice but rather boosts the fracture strength of the glass, which somewhat reconciles the longstanding strength-ductility paradox facing BMGs.

FH, didn't you know? Wikipedia got their info from Chalo. Gosh! :mrgreen:

Hm. I guess the cycle industry got their information from me too, then. And all this time I thought they were just avoiding unsuitable materials because they were unsuitable.

Some of you guys wanted to see if composite frames are suitable for the E-Bike world ?
Look at this "Strength Test" we have done :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itq7vOQbuts

WARNING: This is not a test made by the NASA, it is simply a fun way to see how strong our frames are.

Some of you guys wanted to see if composite frames are suitable for the E-Bike world ?
Look at this "Strength Test" we have done :D

Incredible, ultra lightweight too by the looks of things :)

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000153962/features/inside-units-skycraft-fmx-machine/

'silencer integrated inside a carbon fibre swingarm' mmmmm

Update on this build.

Well I/m still alive but didnt dare go 10kw, max I saw was around 7 and then I thought I'd be sensible about things.

This was more of an experiment than creating an everyday use bike and all is still intact, no cracks or obvious stress points.

Have now fitted it with a soon to be cooled BPM and reverted back to lightweight Mtb components.

72v lyen 12fet, 45amp

carbon 45a.jpg

richdeloup said:
Thanks Rix, took your initial advice of a small geared motor, love it, It rides pretty nice:)

I bet, with that kind of frame, a geared hub motor is icing on the cake, got any videos?

richdeloup said:
I tried to get a video but the making tape and zip tied phone approach, doesn't give great results:) I'll invest in a mounting solution soon......
Its not hard to make a good video, but its really easy to make a sucky video.

Back