18fet only drawing ~42a? What am I doing wrong?

Phase current of 125A to rated current of 50A for a 2.5:1 ratio is the most broad spread bad advice on this forum. It's a carryover from 300-500W motor/controller combos to get some semblance of acceleration, but with high power rigs it produces lots of waste heat in the motor and is the root cause of many melted motors. Instead try a much lower relationship, and it will not only allow you to tune to higher power, which is determined by the rated current (battery current), but it will be safer for the motor and controller.

Re markz: any direct software support you can get from the vender/manufacturer is key. I assumed you'd exhausted those avenues though?

Hey john would that apply to my mid bht? I turned down the amps from 70/200 on 18s to 66/160 on 20s.
The motor warms up, but less phase amps feel noticably weaker. 225lb ride, geared for 40mph.

nutspecial said:
any direct software support you can get from the vender/manufacturer is key. I assumed you'd exhausted those avenues though?

LOL No, I just emailed Lyen today. Im sure he has something for me to use.

by John in CR » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:08 pm
Phase current of 125A to rated current of 50A for a 2.5:1 ratio is the most broad spread bad advice on this forum. It's a carryover from 300-500W motor/controller combos to get some semblance of acceleration, but with high power rigs it produces lots of waste heat in the motor and is the root cause of many melted motors. Instead try a much lower relationship, and it will not only allow you to tune to higher power, which is determined by the rated current (battery current), but it will be safer for the motor and controller.

By lower you mean 1.5:1, So leave it at 125A and go 82A, or jack up the 125A and lower the ratio. I've read that a few times now. teslanv and icecube I believe touched on it somewhere along the lines.

nutspecial said:
Hopefully the op doesn't mind- here's the print instruc that came with em3 18fet.
Don't know if you have any instructions with yours. Maybe this will help.
Whether the OP minds or not isn't the issue - it's EM3EV's support material.

EM3EV and Lyen are competitors and each provide software, documentation, and links to their customers. This material represents an investment in time for each and is part of the purchase. A simple email to the vendor will get the proper information to any customer who takes the time to do so.

You can be certain that if either of these vendors wanted their support material in the public domain, they would simply publish it on their web sites. Members here generally respect and support the vendors and avoid posting this material.

There will always be the 'everything should be free' group that wants everyone else's efforts to be freely available for (their personal) use, but Ed and Paul are respected ES members and IMHO we should leave it to them to determine the best manner to make their efforts and product support available - instead of taking it upon ourselves to publish it here on ES.

Paraphrase away - but let's not meddle in the way these guys run their businesses.

Goodness teklectic, it was the instructions on install, to show markz what it says about windows versions.

The actual software can be had at request from the source, and it's not that I was sharing it anyway!

If just posting some instructions is undesirable by my retailer I'll happily desist. I certainly don't see the big deal here. :?

Logic would tell you that if software or instructions were some kind of major linchpin to a business, they would have been gone long ago after the first 'competition' paid 100$ for controller and software.

Sheesh. I don't see what the dealio is

Ps. goodluck markz, that's certainly the best way to try first. Otherwise, compatibility mode and/or virtual box/rolled back windows version will eventually work for ya.

Hey, no worries. There are more pressing issues in the world then a little copy and paste action.
But as that guy says, thats why I didnt post Lyens info. Says so right in his email he sent me when I bought the unit.

nutspecial said:
If just posting some instructions is undesirable by my retailer I'll happily desist. I certainly don't see the big deal here. :?
These guys are not 'retailers' - they're respected ES members who have worked hard over the years to build businesses by bringing products to market specifically to fulfill our needs. I wouldn't give away someone else's work and I would be especially careful about folks I respect - again, my view.

nutspecial said:
Logic would tell you ...
Sheesh. I don't see what the dealio is
Clearly.

I thought I made a simple polite point to a guy with good intentions who has only been on the forum for a few months. You weren't berated in any way - I expressed an opinion.
You are the one who is making a 'dealio' of it, belittling that point, and insisting on applying 'logic' to judge the business value of Paul's efforts.

• My issue is entirely with making that judgement - not any argument pro or con that affects the judgement.
  • IMHO - it's a work of Paul's hand and only he should be able to give it away - using 'logic' to devalue that work and take that right away from him is presumptuous and disrespectful.
It's so simple - let Lyen customers email Ed, let EM3EV customers email Paul.
Why even get involved?

I can't make this view any clearer. This may not be a view with which you agree, but it's a harmless view with no consequences to anyone. No 'logic' required.
'Nuff said.

Yeah, I feel like you're pickin on me. I had to explain myself on printing out the ca3 (vs using digitally) manual to you too. No worries, but I'll call you out if I feel the occasion warrants. Just the way I wanna be treated.

They are retailers- unless you're using some other dictionary. Not saying there's not R&D as well. Or excellent service (em3 in my case)

So what is the harm or encroachment on a moral line in passing on directions? :?

I can agree based on communique with Paul that the software is not to be passed on, but stand on my logic leading to the question- how can that be some kind of a deal when the software is obviously not highly proprietary and sensitive.

I have all the respect for the innovators and masters of commerce. Nit picking- not so much.
Like I said, if it's crossing some sort of line by passing on DIRECTIONS I stand corrected.

You gotta prob M? I was trying to help sombod ' down on luk'. And now feel the need to defend myself from tek's comment that I'm a monster jackass for posting INSTRUCTIONS for you to draw from.

Looks like I paid $200 for a controller to do 40A. Just my luck these days, just my f'ing luck.

Newsflash: LUCK IS IMAGINARY AND A SCAPEGOAT

This fuss about software is a joke. First, their software is sh*t and obsolete, and it is to be distributed freely to all owners of infineon controllers. Translation of a crap Chinese software doesn't make anyone the owner of it.

As for instructions, who ever tries to claim copyrights on some instruction sheet for a Chinese product is a joker.

To return to the OP's issue....

I downloaded and tested a new Prolific driver package that worked well. I pushed the initial content of this post into a new thread here.

Anyhow - a nice easy installation with documentation and the Lyen Mk2 downloader ran w/o a hitch and shot up one of his 12FET controllers normally.

Back