19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Time to do the dreaded lacing, oh'boy a monster task. I am getting tired just by thinking about it.
Front I got A 36H HooDoo Dice Roulette 20mm thru hub. It goes into a 19 x 1.85 Pro Wheel rim. Any idea what spokes to use? Heavy rider and heavy bike, top speed 60 mph. What spokes size are recommended, length and thickness.

IIRC people said to use thin spokes to avoid flanges of hub to crack. So I guess that means bicycle spokes. But what to choose? And does the nipples from holmes hobbies fit bicycle spokes or only moto spokes?

Here is his 14 gauge spokes, will they fit front rim without using washers? http://holmeshobbies.com/Sapim-Stainless-Custom-Straight-Pull-14ga-Spokes.html

I remember Holmes said he had some alu nipples made but can't find on his site. Anybody knows?

Never laced up a wheel before, so what lacing pattern should I use? Didn't even know there was so many to choose from. I have no idea if one pattern is better then the others. Feel a little overwhelmed right now.

macribs said:
Time to do the dreaded lacing, oh'boy a monster task. I am getting tired just by thinking about it.
Front I got A 36H HooDoo Dice Roulette 20mm thru hub. It goes into a 19 x 1.85 Pro Wheel rim. Any idea what spokes to use? Heavy rider and heavy bike, top speed 60 mph. What spokes size are recommended, length and thickness.

IIRC people said to use thin spokes to avoid flanges of hub to crack. So I guess that means bicycle spokes. But what to choose? And does the nipples from holmes hobbies fit bicycle spokes or only moto spokes?

Here is his 14 gauge spokes, will they fit front rim without using washers? http://holmeshobbies.com/Sapim-Stainless-Custom-Straight-Pull-14ga-Spokes.html

I remember Holmes said he had some alu nipples made but can't find on his site. Anybody knows?

Never laced up a wheel before, so what lacing pattern should I use? Didn't even know there was so many to choose from. I have no idea if one pattern is better then the others. Feel a little overwhelmed right now.

Holmes can figure out what spoke length you need for your rim, its worth the 20 bucks along with buying the spokes from him. I can do rear 1X wheel builds all day long but 3X front lace jobs, its a little more complex. This is my take on front 3x mtb hub laced to mc rims. Its not hard to do it, but its easy to do a crappy job. Anyway Holmes hobbies has 13g spokes with oversized nipples that will work for this.

$65.00 Holmes MMP 19x1.6 Rear Ebike and Moped Rim (BLEM):
http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-MMP-19x1.6-Front-Ebike-and-Moped-Rim-MMP-19x1.60F-BLK1.html

Anybody knows what BLEM means?

And are there mechanical differences between this rim and the $100.00 Holmes MMP 19x1.6 Rear Ebike and Moped Rim:
http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-MMP-19x1.6-Rear-Ebike-and-Moped-Rim-MMP-19x1.60F-BLK1.html

:? :? :?

amberwolf said:
probably BLEMished, usually means minor color or paint issue, or scratches.

That's exactly what it means. One of the guys I know that bought a BLEM rim, can't find the blemish in it. Just because its being sold as BLEM at discount, its still good and JR doesn't sell crap.

Ok. I'm getting a $65.00 Holmes MMP 19x1.6 Rear Ebike and Moped Rim (BLEM) right now :D
Are the nipples I already bought with 11/12G spokes good to mount on that 19x1.6 MC rim? They are 6mm Diam.

bigbore said:
Ok. I'm getting a $65.00 Holmes MMP 19x1.6 Rear Ebike and Moped Rim (BLEM) right now :D
Are the nipples I already bought with 11/12G spokes good to mount on that 19x1.6 MC rim? They are 6mm Diam.

Are they Holmes nipples? If so, I think the diameter if 5.9mm and they are designed to work with his rims.

Rix said:
bigbore said:

Are they Holmes nipples? If so, I think the diameter if 5.9mm and they are designed to work with his rims.

Yes they are.
20150728_224842_1.jpg

I bought them for a Double Track DH sun rim but now I changed my mind and will shorten them and will use on the 19x1.6 MC rim

BoomerChomsi said:
Thanks for help mates! 8)

I just like the idea to have stronger tire and smaller rim.
O well I will stuck to 26 inch and bicycle tires :mrgreen:

Thank you!

HI Boomer,
I have a set of the 3.00 by 20 mc tyres and 24" rims and they do fit .
As stated above you need a wide rim, i use the Sun double wide at 46mm.
The overall dia. is 26.5 inch

Now I will start looking for tyres and inner tubes for 19" MC rims.
My rear Trial tyre will be this 2.75-19 vrm-021 with Berm Master 24X3.00 front:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Enduro-Trial-Reifen-2-75-19-49-P-VRM-021-VEE-Rubber-/151411332514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item2340d195a2

This seller in Germany has a huge quantity of tyres....
What about this 70/100 -19 knobby motor cross tire to mount with Halo Contra 24X3.00 front?
m-7311 MAXXIS: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Cross-Reifen-70-100-19-42-M-M-7311-Maxxis-/310760977069?hash=item485acc32ad
m-7300 MAXXIS: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Cross-Reifen-70-100-19-42-M-M-7300-Maxxis-/151393885170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item233fc75bf2

Anybody tried something like this STANS NOTUBES 26inch to run tubeless tyres on 19" MC rims?
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Stans-NoTubes-Downhill-26inch-Rim-Strip-RRP-19-850-RS0019-/221845076210?hash=item33a6ff38f2

Simone, you may have to drill the rim to accommodate those spokes. Not a big deal. I did it on my Fighters current rim.

Rix said:
Simone, you may have to drill the rim to accommodate those spokes. Not a big deal. I did it on my Fighters current rim.

It sound strange because in the description I read : ..... 36 hole 6.5mm nipple hole ....

http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-MMP-19x1.6-Rear-Ebike-and-Moped-Rim-MMP-19x1.60F-BLK1.html

bigbore said:
Rix said:

It sound strange because in the description I read : ..... 36 hole 6.5mm nipple hole ....

Oh, I thought it was 6mm, if its 6.5mm your spoke nipples will work perfectly.

Allex said:
Any reason why you choose 19"? I would not go above 18" with a hubmotor if you like good torque and less heat inside the motor

That's because 18x1.4 rims I like I got are so hard to find. I ordered them from a county whose name I can pronounce. Getting 17x1.4 and 19x1.4 as well as Holmes 17 and 19 by 1.6 rims are much easier. As far as 18" rims go, the common sized available are 18x1.85 and 18x2.15 which is way overkill in IMO for ebike applications.

Allex said:
Any reason why you choose 19"? I would not go above 18" with a hubmotor if you like good torque and less heat inside the motor

For the following reasons:
1) Because I would like to have the option to mount both motocross front tyres and the trial tyres like the Shinko SR241 is it better to stay with a 19" rim. There aren't motocross front tyres for 18" rims.
2) The Berm Master that I have now on the Bomber are 650mm diam. = 25,6 inches. The Shinko SR 241 are 25.2" for a 2.75-19 tire so I thought I will have a little smaller rear tyre that will be good for torque and motor heat.

Rix said:
BoomerChomsi said:
Does anyone knows is there a possibility to get a 26" motorcycle tire and suitable for bicycle rim?

Thank you! 8)

NO, there isn't. The only sure one noted here in multiple threads of ES is using a 20" BMX rim which is actually 16" with a 16" MC Tire. That said, a 24"MTB rim is 20" diameter, and I did come across a 3.00-20 MC tire awhile back. In theory, that tire could fit on a 24MTB rim if the rim bead was tall and the rim was wide, figure 40mm minimum. Also, an ES member got some 22" Bmx Rims which is actually 18" and tried some 18" MC tires on it. He reported that he inflated the tires and they blew off the rim bead.

I would love to find something similar to shinko but in 16" for a 20" BMX rim. I am now using this 20" 3.0 that they sell for bicycles but they are really moped tyres. I would like something similar for countryside 8)

984_p1.jpg

Damn Chucho, not asking for much are you? :lol: So you want something good for the street and countryside. You do know that Shinko does make a 3.00-16 tire that would fit on a 20 BMX rim with high sidewalls? That would be the best road and dirt tire you could get in this size. Food for thought amigo.

Rix said:
Damn Chucho, not asking for much are you? :lol: So you want something good for the street and countryside. You do know that Shinko does make a 3.00-16 tire that would fit on a 20 BMX rim with high sidewalls? That would be the best road and dirt tire you could get in this size. Food for thought amigo.

Shit i did not know :cry: My shinko in 19" are allready on their way :| I would like something for countryside cause for street i have already got that ones i told you :wink: Anyway i am going to ask to shinko distributor if he sells also 3.00-16 for next time i need to buy :D

Thank you!!

I dont know what the expresion "food for thought" means but i like it lol.

chucho said:
Rix said:

Shit i did not know :cry: My shinko in 19" are allready on their way :| I would like something for countryside cause for street i have already got that ones i told you :wink: Anyway i am going to ask to shinko distributor if he sells also 3.00-16 for next time i need to buy :D

Thank you!!

I dont know what the expresion "food for thought" means but i like it lol.

"Food for thought" is sort of an American Proverb and a more creative way of saying, "something to think about" All that said, even though the 3.00-16 SR241 shinko would no doubt be the best tire for mechanical advantage performance, the 2.75-19 SR241 is king in the looks department. And its still a very functional and better option for hi powered ebikes than a 24 or 26 MTB tire.

Between my Raptor with a 19x1.4 front / 17x1.4 rear and another Raptor with the 19x1.6 front / 19x1.6 Rear, I really prefer the looks of the 19 front / 19 rear combination. It remains to be seen how they stack up with each other performance wise. Also the 19x1.6 is HEAVY but it is the only 36 hole width I could find in the Blue color I wanted... In retrospect, I'm not sure that was great choice due to the weight (even though the difference to a 1.4 is a drop in the bucket with that honkin' Cromotor on there).

I realise most on here are hub motor MC wheel interested, so this might be slightly off topic but might help someone one day.

I haven't actually tried this yet but am interested in doing it if I ever bought a bht motor to run without a freewheel.

Some Downhill bikes have 150x12mm axles, and some pitbike front wheels have 12mm axles (although longer) the hubs are 95mm wide. Surely there must be a way to adapt the axle and spacing to work for those with the skills.

You can buy complete pitbike wheels for $100 au delivered (sorry for the Aussie slant - but getting shinkos and all that stuff is ridiculous down here, hence I gave up long ago)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOLD-12mm-Axle-70-100-17-Inch-Front-Wheel-Rim-Knobby-Tyre-PIT-PRO-Dirt-Bike-/261166497608?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

The hubs are so strong that you'd be able to add more holes somewhere in them too.

what you reckon? Crazy heavy idea?

John Bozi said:
I realise most on here are hub motor MC wheel interested, so this might be slightly off topic but might help someone one day.

I haven't actually tried this yet but am interested in doing it if I ever bought a bht motor to run without a freewheel.

Some Downhill bikes have 150x12mm axles, and some pitbike front wheels have 12mm axles (although longer) the hubs are 95mm wide. Surely there must be a way to adapt the axle and spacing to work for those with the skills.

You can buy complete pitbike wheels for $100 au delivered (sorry for the Aussie slant - but getting shinkos and all that stuff is ridiculous down here, hence I gave up long ago)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOLD-12mm-Axle-70-100-17-Inch-Front-Wheel-Rim-Knobby-Tyre-PIT-PRO-Dirt-Bike-/261166497608?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
The hubs are so strong that you'd be able to add more holes somewhere in them too.
what you reckon? Crazy heavy idea?

John, I have been tossing the idea around as well. I think a 16mm axle hub motor with 12mm flats would work, if the axle dropout on the swing arm wasn't a closed through axle design. We got to remember that a 12mm pit bike axle is that, 12mm or just slightly smaller than the H35 and H40 axles which are 12.52mm or Imperial 1/2 inch. Even if he we designed a clamp to grab a 12mm axle, we really want a flat on it so axle rotation isn't an issue. We would be better off finding a MC axle that was say 15-17mm diameter and machining 12mm flats on them. Whats your thoughts?

Rix said:
John, I have been tossing the idea around as well. I think a 16mm axle hub motor with 12mm flats would work, if the axle dropout on the swing arm wasn't a closed through axle design. We got to remember that a 12mm pit bike axle is that, 12mm or just slightly smaller than the H35 and H40 axles which are 12.52mm or Imperial 1/2 inch. Even if he we designed a clamp to grab a 12mm axle, we really want a flat on it so axle rotation isn't an issue. We would be better off finding a MC axle that was say 15-17mm diameter and machining 12mm flats on them. Whats your thoughts?

I think we are not tossing the same idea around. I am not talking hub motors. Just talking pitbike wheels fitting dh bikes thru axles for people running motors like a bht motor.

John Bozi said:
Rix said:

I think we are not tossing the same idea around. I am not talking hub motors. Just talking pitbike wheels fitting dh bikes thru axles for people running motors like a bht motor.

Sorry about that John, I mis-understood you. So moving on, yah that could easily work. May need to get creative with a couple of machined spacers for precise fit, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Back