19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Simple818 said:
I ride mostly street and I notice that when I lean into turns with the 26-2.1 front tire it gets a little skidding for lack of a better word. People keep on telling me that I need to go 17" up front as well for best handling but my pedal clearance I think will become an issue. So I'm thinking of using a 24-2.4 maxis holy roller to match the tread pattern and give me a little lift up failing but not too much

Your rear is pushing your front. Looking at your awesome build, I am thinking your short wheel base compounded by best traction tire out there, on the SR241, is causing your front to wash. This happens when there is a huge difference in traction between the front and rear along with steering geometry that allow the rider to sit up with more than 50/50 weight transition on the rear. Before switching any tires, for cheap, get your self a steering stem that extends forward a little bit so your body positioning is more centered over the bike, this will help noticeably a bit. Still wont solve the traction inequality issues though. Only a better front tire will do that. BTW, does your bike wheelie easily.

Does my bike wheelie easily? Oh yeah. I really have to ease into the throttle. But.... I love it. So a better, perhaps wider front tire will help? Along with a more forward sitting position?. Ideally, I would like to go to a 19"Moto ip front but this bike really hit the wallet already. That's why I was thinking a 24" wide bike wheel up front would be a good compromise.

Simple818 said:
I ride mostly street and I notice that when I lean into turns with the 26-2.1 front tire it gets a little skidding for lack of a better word. People keep on telling me that I need to go 17" up front as well for best handling but my pedal clearance I think will become an issue. So I'm thinking of using a 24-2.4 maxis holy roller to match the tread pattern and give me a little lift up failing but not too much

The pedal clearance won't be too much of an issue if you run a 19" front rim with a 2.75 tyre. The actual diameter will be 25-26"

Simple818 said:
Does my bike wheelie easily? Oh yeah. I really have to ease into the throttle. But.... I love it. So a better, perhaps wider front tire will help? Along with a more forward sitting position?. Ideally, I would like to go to a 19"Moto ip front but this bike really hit the wallet already. That's why I was thinking a 24" wide bike wheel up front would be a good compromise.

The reason I asked, that confirms my theory about your front wheel being pushed in corners. A 24 on the front will help with proper tire selection. I wish that Denzel Ebike guy had posted all his prices and followed the policies of ES, he had a very promising 24x3.00 ebike tire.

Well I have wrecked rim #2 which was an Alex DM24, Pinch flat on the asphalt edge of a depressed catch basin. The rim also dented pretty bad.
I had traffic along side of me so I was unable to avoid it, time to switch to the MC rim and tire.

Where is the best place to order a 19" MC rim and tire and possibly spokes, (If I do not find a threader for my existing spokes).
I am located in Kingston Ontario, Canada. I am assuming the answer with be Holmes, but maybe someone has a rim down the road from me.

99% of my riding is on the road,
I searched through a pile of tire companies, and this thread but I was unable to find a 19" street tire that resembled the street tires that are available for the 17" rims.

My frame is a 04 Norco Atomik, the widest possible tire that would fit my swing arm would be 3", my caliper is showing 3.1" but a 2.75 or 2.5 would be ideal.

Thanks

Jeremy

captain387 said:
Well I have wrecked rim #2 which was an Alex DM24, Pinch flat on the asphalt edge of a depressed catch basin. The rim also dented pretty bad.
I had traffic along side of me so I was unable to avoid it, time to switch to the MC rim and tire.

Where is the best place to order a 19" MC rim and tire and possibly spokes, (If I do not find a threader for my existing spokes).
I am located in Kingston Ontario, Canada. I am assuming the answer with be Holmes, but maybe someone has a rim down the road from me.

I searched through a pile of tire companies, and this thread but I was unable to find a 19" street tire that resembled the street tires that are available for the 17" rims.

My frame is a 04 Norco Atomik, the widest possible tire that would fit my swing arm would be 3", my caliper is showing 3.1" but a 2.75 or 2.5 would be ideal.

Thanks

Jeremy

Your best option would be Holmes 19x1.6 rim or Prowheel Racing 19x1.4 TTR 125L Yamaha Playbike rim. Since clearance is an issue the best tire for your mount would be a Vee Rubber VRM 2.75-19 which is a tad narrower than 2.75 wide when mounted on a 19x1.4 rim.

Simple818 said:
Here is my current setup.

Just occurred to me, your front end washing may also be from your forks flexing laterally. Do you have a dual crown fork or a heavier duty single crown free ride fork you can swap out and try? This may be the solution.

usertogo said:
I am sorry for not having taken the time to go through 39 pages of fun discussion about the subject, so I don't know if it has been discussed here before, it certainly isn't an easy subject to google, but I found one forum thread about it in German:
Atze und Pit haben z.B 16" Motorradreifen auf 20" Fahrradfelgen.
Und 19" Reifen passen auf ne 24" Felge.
Und 21" Reifen auf 26" Felgen,
at http://www.tretharley.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7707
The issue is the front wheels of my trike are 20" bicycle rims, so they have an outer diameter of just under 42cm (rim). There is a small motorcycle type we call Moped with tyres that are measured differently than bicycle tires. I wonder if anybody can confirm, that the 2 3/4 x 16 Tires ( http://www.ebay.de/itm/261830361408 ) will indeed fit on said 20" trike rim?

Thanks
Tobias

Yah Tobias, a 16 mc tire should fit the 20 BMX rim as long as the rim is 25mm or wider.

Rix said:
Simple818 said:
Here is my current setup.

Just occurred to me, your front end washing may also be from your forks flexing laterally. Do you have a dual crown fork or a heavier duty single crown free ride fork you can swap out and try? This may be the solution.

I don't have a heavier duty front fork. It should be known that the 26" front wheel is from the donor bike. A Walmart wheel/tire. Shitty to say the least. I think I'll just get a 24" wheel and try that

What kind of tyre pressures are people running? My bike is around 50kg with 2.75x19 Shinko R241's, I'm using it mainly for road/hard pack commuting. Currently around 30psi but it feels a little harsh.

Rix said:
captain387 said:

Thanks

Jeremy

Your best option would be Holmes 19x1.6 rim or Prowheel Racing 19x1.4 TTR 125L Yamaha Playbike rim. Since clearance is an issue the best tire for your mount would be a Vee Rubber VRM 2.75-19 which is a tad narrower than 2.75 wide when mounted on a 19x1.4 rim.

Thanks for the reply I have been browsing the forum and tire sites trying to make a decision.
I believe that I would be dealing with the same width requirements as GCinDC as I have around 3.15-3.2" clearance where the tire would sit.
Do we have an installed and pumped up width on a 19" x 1.6" rim and 19 x 1.4" rim for the SR 244 tire?

I like that the SR244 tire is rated for 80% on road, whereas the Vee Rubber VRM 2.75-19 seems more for off-road / trial tire.

Thanks again for the insight.

Captain, I don't have a the measurements for a 2.75-19 Sr244 on a 19x1.4 rim, but I do have the measurements for the 2.75-19 SR241, its just under 82mm wide. Zombies measured his 2.75-19 SR241 on the biger 2.15 wide rims at 3.35 inches or 85mm or so. So apparently there is a little width growth with the wider rim. The VRM021 2.75-19 is a safe bet what you want. That tire is actually about 2.6 inches wide or just under 67mm. I like this tire, it rolls better than the SR241 and TR1, and its lighter. The 241 is tops for the best on and off road combo performance, no tire I have tried yet to date does everthing as well as the SR241. The IRC TR1 is a close second followed by the VRM021. Hope this helps.

Thanks Wendell for confirming. You wouldn't happen to have a 244 laying around on a 19x1.4 rim to take a measurement would you? That's the one tire that I haven't tried yet. Its a popular tire among the ebike crowd though.

I wonder what tire/rim combination this is? Tried to ask in the Qulbix thread but no reply. Tire seems aggressive, almost like a motox tire. Some real knobs on there. Should like to know brand and dimension.

NG0odHz.png

macribs said:
I wonder what tire/rim combination this is? Tried to ask in the Qulbix thread but no reply. Tire seems aggressive, almost like a motox tire. Some real knobs on there. Should like to know brand and dimension.

NG0odHz.png

My original impression was this tire was an 80/100x21 knobby tire on a 21x1.6 wide MC rim. I thought this because what ever tire size that tire is, its much larger than any 70/100x19 knobby tires I have seen on numerous big wheeled 80 Kids MX bikes. But I don't think that's the tire. The proportions look more close to a tire rim combo of 100/90x19 on a 19x1.85 rim. I know its not that big though, that's the size tires that your average 2stroke 125 such as the SX125 KTM is running on the rear. Could be an 18" rim, but if that's an 18" knobby, then its the smallest knobby type tire I have seen for an 18" rim. If it is an 18" knobby tire intended to be a rear moto tire, that would explain why the OD looks close to the 26MTB front in terms of size.

Edit///
It would appear the tire is a 90/100x18 moto X tire. I have never seen this size of tire before. http://www.qulbix.com/index.php?option=com_djcatalog2&view=item&id=76&Itemid=475#.VXdnqzrbLIU

Hi guys, I've been running sunrhino 26" on my build and they're olding up ok. I have broke a few spoke nipples when trailbazing though. I guess if something has gotta break when you crash in a pile of driftwood, that would be better than destroying spokes or pulling nipples from the rim.
The wheels are hold tru to moderate riding and power /lightweight, even with a heavy redish on the rear.

My biggest complaint with bike wheels is the darn tires. They are wearing so fast. 100 miles and half tread, and I only really giverhell off the asphalt.

*Is there a hd mx'ish tire for a 24" (new build size) bike rim? or a 26" (for the old build)? I've used kenda and duro razorback bike tires, and both don't have enough meat/ too soft.
-If I have to lose the bike rim the new build will use a 17" moto rim/tire for the rear.

*For my reference, what are the approx weight differences between a bike and mx wheel/tire. I saw some weights listed, and will guess on average 19"/26" it'd be 5lb/10lb respectively?

*Best source for 17" rim, (I'm thinking this, so angles are proper for bike hub?)
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Wheel-Front-Rim-Position-17-0HKBK/dp/B000GZP4XM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1433948205&sr=8-6&keywords=17+mx+rim
spokes (heaviest that fit the rim and hub properly)
and xt bike hub? (Prices for raw new hubs are a little high on amazon)
Is there someone that builds 'em?

*I'm not against building myself; and if so what is the budget spoke roller of choice? And the builders choice of stock spokes? Edit// looks like there's not much need to make spokes when they can be bought here? http://holmeshobbies.com/Sapim-Stainless-Custom-Spokes.html
On prowheel to xt hub, 13/14 gauge spokes, and 13g 7.75g nip or 13g 9.5m nip?
Thanks!!!!

eastgem.net/tire-24x3.html
(https://www.facebook.com/groups/endless.sphere/permalink/837657292970007/)

Rix said:
.. wish that Denzel Ebike guy had posted all his prices and followed the policies of ES, he had a very promising 24x3.00 ebike tire.

Rix said:
I wish that Denzel Ebike guy had posted all his prices and followed the policies of ES, he had a very promising 24x3.00 ebike tire.
Me, too. But he stopped even answering messages asking for prices, and then stopped even coming to the site. I guess it was too much trouble for him to sell stuff if he had to tell us how much it cost. :roll:

We have had several vendors recently like that, coming here just to sell stuff but then refusing to tell us how much it costs, etc. (and some of them refusing to use the for sale section at all).

nutspecial said:
Hi guys, I've been running sunrhino 26" on my build and they're olding up ok. I have broke a few spoke nipples when trailbazing though. I guess if something has gotta break when you crash in a pile of driftwood, that would be better than destroying spokes or pulling nipples from the rim.
The wheels are hold tru to moderate riding and power /lightweight, even with a heavy redish on the rear.

My biggest complaint with bike wheels is the darn tires. They are wearing so fast. 100 miles and half tread, and I only really giverhell off the asphalt.

*Is there a hd mx'ish tire for a 24" (new build size) bike rim? or a 26" (for the old build)? I've used kenda and duro razorback bike tires, and both don't have enough meat/ too soft.
-If I have to lose the bike rim the new build will use a 17" moto rim/tire for the rear.

*For my reference, what are the approx weight differences between a bike and mx wheel/tire. I saw some weights listed, and will guess on average 19"/26" it'd be 5lb/10lb respectively?

*Best source for 17" rim, (I'm thinking this, so angles are proper for bike hub?)
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Wheel-Front-Rim-Position-17-0HKBK/dp/B000GZP4XM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1433948205&sr=8-6&keywords=17+mx+rim
spokes (heaviest that fit the rim and hub properly)
and xt bike hub? (Prices for raw new hubs are a little high on amazon)
Is there someone that builds 'em?

*I'm not against building myself; and if so what is the budget spoke roller of choice? And the builders choice of stock spokes? Edit// looks like there's not much need to make spokes when they can be bought here? http://holmeshobbies.com/Sapim-Stainless-Custom-Spokes.html
On prowheel to xt hub, 13/14 gauge spokes, and 13g 7.75g nip or 13g 9.5m nip?
Thanks!!!!

Holmes Hobbies can supply you with a good rim, and the holes are punched at a proper angle for hub motors, you can also go the route I did with Prowheel racing rims. Been running the 19x1.4 and 17x1.4 on a couple of builds, before I found a source for 18x1.4 rims. That's all I use now. You can use both a 5.9mmx16mm nipple or a slightly larger 6.4mm x 18mm nipple on the the Prowheel racing rim. Holmes hobbies drill their rims to work best with the smaller 5.9mm x 16mm nipple. I lace all of my rims to hub motors, but Holmes Hobbies and Volt Riders did my front Marzocchi hub laced to a 19x1.4 prowheel racing rim. Top notch work. I wish they still offered this service. I cant lace 3X for crap.

Back