19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

get well soon John!

johnrobholmes said:
So I'm going to work on making alloy nipples this week, hold me to it guys! Should drop considerable weight. I'll also eyeball making a jig to drill or mill rims into lighter specimens. That should be an "easy" 300 to 500 grams per rim. I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds of rotational weight on my next bike either.

Ok, John, I'm holding you to it! Did you make any progress? If so, when will they be for sale?

I was planning on sending out my wheel to be built, but I still have this strong desire to attempt a wheel build myself. I already bought a Hope Pro 2 EVO 20mmTA hub and a ProWheels 19x1.4" 36H rim.

If anyone has built a wheel using these components and would like to share their experience and spoke length that would also be appreciated.

Anyone needing spokes nipples in UK try these, had really good service and quality is very good
Central Wheel Components Limited
8 & 9 Station Road
Coleshill
Birmingham
B46 1HT
United Kingdom
Telephone
+44 (0)1675 462264
Facsimile
+44 (0)1675 466412

Information & Sales:
info@central-wheel.co.uk

whats size rim is best for an 8kw 83v motor either 19" or 21"? 19" motorcycle rim is 24" with tire and 21" rim is 26" 3/4" 68cm with tire. what is the best front mtb wheel size to use with these motor cycle rear wheel rims? either 24 or 26" would a 27.5" front mtb wheel work better than 26" from the 68cm rear wheel

chunder123 said:
whats size rim is best for an 8kw 83v motor either 19" or 21"? 19" motorcycle rim is 24" with tire and 21" rim is 26" 3/4" 68cm with tire. what is the best front mtb wheel size to use with these motor cycle rear wheel rims? either 24 or 26" would a 27.5" front mtb wheel work better than 26" from the 68cm rear wheel

I would go with a 19x1.4 or 19x1.6 rim on the rear running the 2.75-19 SR241 shinko, or if side clearance is an issue, go with the VRM021 2.75-19. That tire is narrow at 2.6 inches wide. A 24 or 26 MTB wheel on the front will look good with the 19" mc rear wheel. Not sure about aesthetics, but I imagine a 650b/27.5 mtb wheel would work very well with a 19 mc wheel. I have tried 24mtb, 26mtb, 17mc, 18mc, and 19mc, rear wheels on various machines, I haven't tried a 21mc wheel yet. I imagine the success of this size wheel would be based on finding a lightweight low profile trials mc tire to run.

In my opinion you probably want to run a shinko 241 in 3" on the rear, the tire is softer and has longer knobs then the 19x2.75 tires. The increased size allows to be run at lower PSI and the larger volume helps cushion the heavy hub motor. Either go with a 17" on the rear, or an 18" if you need a larger tire.

The 18x3.00 tire is close to size of the 19x2.75 tire, but you get all the benefits of the fatter 3" tire. This assumes you don't have adjustable suspension and can't use the 17". From my own experience with the 19x2.75 and the 17x3.00, the 17x3.00 beat it hands down to the point I felt the 19x2.75 was a safety hazard as it didn't perform nearly as good off-road. Which makes sense because the compound seems to be much harder and the knobs much smaller, also probably because I ran a bit less PSI in the 3.00.

Front, use a 24" only if you're going to use a 3" tire on the front. If you're going to use smaller then I'd go with the 26". I'm going to say that you're not going to notice much of a difference either way to be honest. I personally use a 26" as supposedly bigger tires perform better and there is no reason to go smaller on the front. The 26" also keeps my geometry and bottom bracket height normal. If it doesn't mess with your geometry and other things, probably a 29" could even be optimal. But it would look out of place I think.

Yah, the 17mc rim with the 3.00-17 sr241 is my favorite off road only combo with a 24mtb on the front. Lots of mechanical advantage with that rear tire. Climbs well. The 18x1.4 rims running either the 3.00-18 VRM021 or SR241 is the best of all worlds. Looks closer in size to a 24MTB, smaller than a 19, which gives a little mechanical advantage. I like this size so much, that I have purchased 6 18x1.4 rims which I am running on my Fighter and next several builds.

got myself a set of IRC combo for rear wheel building. The tire looks good quality, says made in Japan. I think most of the other tires are made in China. hopefully can try to beat it soon.

Attachments

• IRC tire set.JPG
    IRC tire set.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,567
Rix said:
Yah, the 17mc rim with the 3.00-17 sr241 is my favorite off road only combo with a 24mtb on the front. Lots of mechanical advantage with that rear tire. Climbs well. The 18x1.4 rims running either the 3.00-18 VRM021 or SR241 is the best of all worlds. Looks closer in size to a 24MTB, smaller than a 19, which gives a little mechanical advantage. I like this size so much, that I have purchased 6 18x1.4 rims which I am running on my Fighter and next several builds.

was about to write in to ask exactly this question, but youv pretty much already answered it for me there.

im considering getting a large shipment of moto rims and would love any input as what the best all round size would be.

i like the 18" as an allrounder too, but getting tyres that size seems to be much harder in Aus for some reason. its all either 19 or 17.

getting tyres from o.s. is crazy pricey on post, so i want to avoid.

i was going to go with 19x1.4 cause they look like a 24mtb, and have a little advantage over the 26 size.. also better approach angle than the 17" which might look a little starange too..

any more input greatly appreciated. :D
RTL

ridethelightning said:
Rix said:

was about to write in to ask exactly this question, but youv pretty much already answered it for me there.

im considering getting a large shipment of moto rims and would love any input as what the best all round size would be.

i like the 18" as an allrounder too, but getting tyres that size seems to be much harder in Aus for some reason. its all either 19 or 17.

getting tyres from o.s. is crazy pricey on post, so i want to avoid.

i was going to go with 19x1.4 cause they look like a 24mtb, and have a little advantage over the 26 size.. also better approach angle than the 17" which might look a little starange too..

any more input greatly appreciated. :D
RTL

I have ran 17, 18, and 19, I like the 18x1.4 rims the best. I can get all sorts of road and dual purpose tires in this size, the one tire I can't get in this size are knobby tires. Unless I go big with 12-15 pound offroad knobby tires, which are too wide for the swingarms on the Fighter and Bomber. At least with the 19x1.4, I can get trials tires, and run knobbies used on kids moto X bikes if I want. Same with the 17. If I was in your shoes and 18s were hard to come by, I would go with 19x1.4 or 19x1.6 rims. That said, nothing I have ran beats the performance aspect of a 17" rim running a 3.00-17 SR241 or SR244 in terms off road hill climbing and descending.

You can always go with the shinko 241 18x3.00" tire. I think this may be a very good setup with that tire, almost the size of a 24" mountain bike tire, you also get the increased size and light weight of the shinko 241, also the rubber compound is softer than the 2.75" tires which offers much better performance for our light weight ebikes.

I personally like the 17" or even 16" rims because my suspension is adjustable in the rear of my raptor bike and I also like the increase in acceleration.

What we really need is a light weight skinny dirtbike tire in the front. The Duro razorback is good, but if it was just had little bit larger knobs it would be better. Putting a small heavy 19" tire on the front that is meant for the rear is just not for me. We need a normal 21" motorcycle tire, something that weighs maybe 4lbs would be perfect.

it could be that the duro razorback is the best tire available for an ebike front right now, with the only drawback of only lasting 1500-2000 miles on the front.

Finally catching up around here. Stayed late to punch in the program for a nipple, it's a rough shape for now. Probably going to make the back compatible with a 1/4" driver.

Should come in around 1.3 to 1.5 grams, compared to 3.5g for a regular moped size nipple.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 2,430
Any lightweight (but strong) spokes to match the nipples?

If choosing 2 ply tire, 1.4" wide rims, your custom nipples and hopefully lightweight alloy spokes the overall weight savings can easily be around 2 kilos +. And with all of that weight savings being farthest away from the hub it should really have an impact on handling.

Maybe that weight saving would even be noticeable for hubmotors?

macribs said:

If choosing 2 ply tire, 1.4" wide rims, your custom nipples and hopefully lightweight alloy spokes the overall weight savings can easily be around 2 kilos +. And with all of that weight savings being farthest away from the hub it should really have an impact on handling.

Alloy, Ti and carbon spokes have all been tried but rarely with much success. If you want a lighter spoked wheel, stick with stainless steel but go thinner diameter to save weight and butted to gain strength from the cold forging process used to slim down the spoke's midsection.

voicecoils said:
macribs said:

Alloy, Ti and carbon spokes have all been tried but rarely with much success. If you want a lighter spoked wheel, stick with stainless steel but go thinner diameter to save weight and butted to gain strength from the cold forging process used to slim down the spoke's midsection.

How strong you reckon these dtswiss spokes are compared to heavy motorcycle spokes? I've seen several tandem bike wheels are made using those dtswiss spokes. So that might be an indicator as to tough they are. I guess if it works for tandems it should work for my fat ass too?

This is the one they recommend to e-bikers and heavy tandems:
http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Spokes/DT-alpine-III

It is the rear wheel I an concerned about, heavy rider and heavy bike with strong and heavy hubmotor. Think those spokes will work with motorims and those lightweight nipples?

I don't see light weight anything being a good match for 20 or 30lb hub motors. But on front wheels and rear wheels with lighter motors (geared motors, 9c, BB drive, etc..) , 13/14 or straight 13ga spokes with alloy nips and drilled rims would drop serious weight.

One of my workers started making a rim drilling jig yesterday while I refined the nipple shape. We should be able to drop about 1 pound from our 19x1.6" rim, plus two more ounces with nipples. I'm going to lace up a set of 19's with 13/14 butted spokes for my BB drive bike.

john, what will be the price of aluminum nipples and when you have them available?

I'll finish out enough to build my wheelset to test the fitment during assembly. Price will probably be $1.50 each unanodized at first to judge demand. I should charge more because of how long they take to machine, but at the same time I don't think $2 each would be an attractive price for people.

They sized up to have an 8mm socket drive on the back. Now to decide on 5mm or 1/4" spoke wrench size. What say yall, if the body allows for 1/4"?

johnrobholmes said:
I'll finish out enough to build my wheelset to test the fitment during assembly. Price will probably be $1.50 each unanodized at first to judge demand. I should charge more because of how long they take to machine, but at the same time I don't think $2 each would be an attractive price for people.

They sized up to have an 8mm socket drive on the back. Now to decide on 5mm or 1/4" spoke wrench size. What say yall, if the body allows for 1/4"?

5mm is fine. I have used 6.4mm spoke nipples that take a 5.5mm wrench for the flats, 5mm will work with your custom rims, and any 17 or 19 x 1.4 prowheel racing rim with out the need of washers.

What do you guys think of running a 24" mob rim up front with my 17" rear Moto with sr241 in rear? I currently have a stock 26" up front and the handling kinda sucks. What rim in 24" would you recommend that wouldn't break the bank

Simple818 said:
What do you guys think of running a 24" mob rim up front with my 17" rear Moto with sr241 in rear? I currently have a stock 26" up front and the handling kinda sucks. What rim in 24" would you recommend that wouldn't break the bank

What 26" tire and size are you running? Why do you find the handling sucks with the 26", what conditions do you drive in?

Why would decreasing the tire size to 24" up front give you better handling?

I was doing some thinking and research and realized that when I find the 26" duro razorback the best tire for the front that is because I am looking for the best off-road tire. I ride a lot in the woods and traction is easily lost over the loose dirt, leafy, sometimes muddy, wood chip trails that I drive on.

I shouldn't assume that others here are also doing this. What I bet is that most people here probably don't ride many off-road trails at all and mostly ride on the street. If that is the case then you may very well be better off with a 19"x2.75 front tire or something similar.

From research I gather this is why street bikes usually run 17"/17" front/rear tires. To compromise a dual sport adventure bike will have something like 19"/17". A dirtbike will run a 21"/18". You see it depends on what kind of conditions you expect to ride in.

If I was riding street most of the time I would run a 19" motorcycle tire like a shinko 241 because it will last longer and I wouldn't worry much about riding over obstacles or digging deep into the dirt for grip.

I ride mostly street and I notice that when I lean into turns with the 26-2.1 front tire it gets a little skidding for lack of a better word. People keep on telling me that I need to go 17" up front as well for best handling but my pedal clearance I think will become an issue. So I'm thinking of using a 24-2.4 maxis holy roller to match the tread pattern and give me a little lift up failing but not too much

Back