19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

amberwolf said:
Rix said:
I wish that Denzel Ebike guy had posted all his prices and followed the policies of ES, he had a very promising 24x3.00 ebike tire.
Me, too. But he stopped even answering messages asking for prices, and then stopped even coming to the site. I guess it was too much trouble for him to sell stuff if he had to tell us how much it cost. :roll:

We have had several vendors recently like that, coming here just to sell stuff but then refusing to tell us how much it costs, etc. (and some of them refusing to use the for sale section at all).

That figures, a heavy duty 24MTB tire would be ideal and just when you think you found a source, bam, it vanishes like a virgin on prom night. :mrgreen:

I'm sure he's still out there selling stuff off his original site; you could probably google and find it with his username?

I'll have to search for it cuz I got no FB.

Are tire moulds kinda expensive to produce though, like injection moulds for plastic? I didn't expect to find a tire that didn't come from a big company, much less a really hd one.

Thanks Rix! I should be fairly sorted. Ps, what source for 18's do you mean?

edit/// the .net worked, and the source is china direct, but there's no prices or anything. They do look pretty solid, but i'm not sure of any benefit when building vs buying the a whole wheel. The weight looks the same as a mx about 6lbs a piece, so why not just get the stouter mx for a max of 2lbs more and have your choice of tires.
Although for my current 26" build, maybe direct from china is good for an hd 26.

amberwolf said:
I'm sure he's still out there selling stuff off his original site; you could probably google and find it with his username?

He is Amberwolf, but he doesn't take cc or paypal, so there really isn't any buyer protection. I see why the ES Moderators got rid of the posts. I wouldn't want to allow posts that could potentially burn members on for sale items. Not saying or implying this is the case, just saying there is no recourse for the buyer.

nutspecial » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:55 pm
I'll have to search for it cuz I got no FB.
Are tire moulds kinda expensive to produce though, like injection moulds for plastic? I didn't expect to find a tire that didn't come from a big company, much less a really hd one.
Thanks Rix! I should be fairly sorted. Ps, what source for 18's do you mean?
Nuts, what I meant was I found a supplier, overseas, can't pronounce the Country, its not China, that sells the lightest 18x1.4 rims with 36 holes drilled, its Racing Boy Rims. I bought 6 of them, 5 black, 1 polished. For future builds and I did through a guy named "Moon" and paypal. He came through. This is an odd sized rim in the US, its moped dimensions, but we don't have a lot of folks modding mopeds in the US. All of the 18" rims I found Stateside was for 1.85 and 2.15 wide rims. Way overkill for anything at 13kw or less.

Thanks Rix, might check em out, see if the price is right.

That denzel site if funny. I can't believe they went thru so much to get a halfway viable product but can't give normal info on stuff than mostly 'best quality' 'best quality' 'best quality', then it costs 12 bucks. And you say no paypal, how hard is that to do? Not the best business model to get into foreign markets, I'm surprised they even bothered at all.

Interesting though, the tires look decent 24x3 or x2.4 for cheap 24/12 (prob high shipping) and I wanna find out more on their ebike frames inparticular too. The design is better than any I've seen for a single reduction bht mounted under the swingarm. (yes under!) I'll post something somewhere if I find anything out- the frame's prob too heavy for me, and since I'm building a wheel anyway, might as well do a rim that fits more mped/mx tires.

Rix said:
I lace all of my rims to hub motors, but Holmes Hobbies and Volt Riders did my front Marzocchi hub laced to a 19x1.4 prowheel racing rim. Top notch work. I wish they still offered this service. I cant lace 3X for crap.

Been considering picking up regular wheel builds again, but I have to teach a worker to keep em flowing. I've been unable to take care of regular labor because of the CNC and engineering load on myself. I could do final checks and cold forming through! Laced front wheels wouldn't be too hard, at least they would all be the same!

johnrobholmes said:
Rix said:
I lace all of my rims to hub motors, but Holmes Hobbies and Volt Riders did my front Marzocchi hub laced to a 19x1.4 prowheel racing rim. Top notch work. I wish they still offered this service. I cant lace 3X for crap.

Been considering picking up regular wheel builds again, but I have to teach a worker to keep em flowing. I've been unable to take care of regular labor because of the CNC and engineering load on myself. I could do final checks and cold forming through! Laced front wheels wouldn't be too hard, at least they would all be the same!

I can understand you are busy. But do some very fine work and its shame that more of your wheels aren't out there. My front wheel you guys did has stayed true and perfect for 2 years now. Haven't touch it since it arrived.

Thats good to hear! I've also got some wheelsets with a lot of time on them. My "old trusty" heavier mountain bike wheelset is 14 years old now, never trued it once and it still runs like the day I built it. Salsa Gordo rims, XT rear hub, Marzocchi front. I still beat those wheels often, they are mostly used for street riding and concrete hucks.

Front wheel parts combos and built wheels would be the best way to start I think. Shipping heavy hubmotors around is tough and I don't like doing it, but front wheels are pretty easy to ship.

johnrobholmes said:
Thats good to hear! I've also got some wheelsets with a lot of time on them. My "old trusty" heavier mountain bike wheelset is 14 years old now, never trued it once and it still runs like the day I built it. Salsa Gordo rims, XT rear hub, Marzocchi front. I still beat those wheels often, they are mostly used for street riding and concrete hucks.

Front wheel parts combos and built wheels would be the best way to start I think. Shipping heavy hubmotors around is tough and I don't like doing it, but front wheels are pretty easy to ship.

Yah, I think you should really consider lacing/building 20mm through axle MTB Hubs to your rims and sell. Shipping weight would be under 10 pounds with the box and I think you would sell a lot. I get emails and PM all of the time about lacing moto rims to bike hubs. I don't do this as I suck at 3X lacing, and I believe there is a need for it. I posted this pic before, but on the front is the 19x1.4 rim you guys laced up to my Bomber with a 18 MC on the rear. Beautiful wheel.

That's 2 JR, just from talking about it here without solicitation. 20mmx110 front MTB hubs laced to your 19x1.6. Start building and stocking them. They will sell.

Rick

Hugechainring said:
100volts+ said:
this is my take, the 18x1.4 rim running either a 2.75 SR 241 shinko, or an IRC TR1 is the best on the rear.

I would get an 18x1.4 rim in a heartbeat (currently running a 19x1.4 pro wheel) but I spent a ton last year on stuff and while my wife hasn't said I can't get what I want she now gives me "the look" when I order anything over a 100 bucks bicycle wise, even when I work the overtime to pay for it, but it will be in the 4th quarter budget for sure.

I picked up (4) Revenge 22" BMX 36H rims like this on eBay for some future builds with 18" DOT moped tires. The bead diameter is 457mm, or 18". The seat width is narrower at about 1.06", but I've been able to mount 2.50" and 2.75" X 16" DOT moped tires on 20" BMX rims before, no problems.

These rims are not as HD as the moto rims, but also way lighter, and are drilled for bicycle spokes. Nice for lightweight builds with HD tires/tubes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Revenge-...557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463401b00d

Might be worth a look.

FYI: I just built up the 22" Revenge BMX rim for my Motoped and both tires I bought for it pop clean off while inflating. So I can't recommend anybody bothering with this rim for Moto tires (unless you know of a tire that's worked for several people?). Here's what I tried:
Cheng Shin C183A Series Soft Terrain Front/Rear Tire, Size- 2.75-18
IRC GP-1 Dual Sport Rear Tire, Size- 3.00-18
Still, if anybody knows of an off-road tire that's been successfully mounted and ridden on this rim by more than one person, let me know! - I may still try again.

Still, if anybody knows of an off-road tire that's been successfully mounted and ridden on this rim by more than one person, let me know! - I may still try again.

I was looking at those rims awhile back, and I didn't like them as I thought the rim bead height was too short. Sounds like that's what you are dealing with.

teslanv said:
johnrobholmes said:
I've got a kick-ass wheel builder on the Kinaye team. We buy Holmes Hobbies rims and will lace pretty much anything in them.
Just saying. :wink:

Do you guys also lace front MC rims to MTB hubs?

Someone PM'd me about the ERD for the Prowheel racing 19x1.4 rim. I measured mine last night with 18mm long nipples and came up with 471mm for an ERD. I am posting this here as I can't remember who asked, and I deleted the email. I appologize to that guy. I get lots of PMs about wheel builds and this one slid through the cracks so to speak. :?

Never seen such a solution, and I also struggle to see why one would choose such a solution. (skool me if I am being ingorant)
Imho the benefit and sturdiness of a motorcycle rim/tire is far bigger then the little weight penalty. If you are a weight watcher run it tubeless, with a 2 ply moped tire. Get light but strong spokes (tapered or butted I think they are called) and use alu nipples and washers. If really weight causes you could find a 32H rim/hub and drill holes in the hub like on those fatbikes. A 19" rim with moped/motorcycle tire will have a rolling diameter close to a 26" bicycle rim/tire.

BoomerChomsi said:
Does anyone knows is there a possibility to get a 26" motorcycle tire and suitable for bicycle rim?

Thank you! 8)

NO, there isn't. The only sure one noted here in multiple threads of ES is using a 20" BMX rim which is actually 16" with a 16" MC Tire. That said, a 24"MTB rim is 20" diameter, and I did come across a 3.00-20 MC tire awhile back. In theory, that tire could fit on a 24MTB rim if the rim bead was tall and the rim was wide, figure 40mm minimum. Also, an ES member got some 22" Bmx Rims which is actually 18" and tried some 18" MC tires on it. He reported that he inflated the tires and they blew off the rim bead.

BoomerChomsi said:
Thanks for help mates! 8)

I just like the idea to have stronger tire and smaller rim.
O well I will stuck to 26 inch and bicycle tires :mrgreen:

Thank you!

Are you dead set on 26"? If you chose a smaller diameter moped wheel the weight would not be bad, and the smaller diameter would mean even lighter tire as well. 17 x 1.4 or even 16" in the back could maybe work for you? Pinch flats will in the pasts and tire will wear much slower too.

BoomerChomsi said:
I am a little bit fashion freak.
So I looks is also important for me....

If I change rear wheel I have to change also front.... :oops: :evil:

Just so you know, a 19x1.4 rim or Holmes 19x1.6 rim on the back running the 2.75-19 SR241 with either a 24mtb or 26mtb wheel on the front looks awesome.

Back