2WD Semi-Recumbent Recycled-Parts Cargo eBike: "CrazyBike2"

amberwolf said:
.......... Assuming nobody breaks into the sheds and steals the welder and tools and such. :roll:

I hate thieves...I really do.... Sorry I can't be there to hide in your shed with a baseball bat waiting for the frocker to try it again! :evil:

I wish I could just set up a camera system to record the place from a bunch of angles, so I could at least catch them on camera. Best is i I could have it accessible via wifi/internet, so I could check on it now and hten and call the police if I saw them, but neither one is presently possible.

I considered setting up "fake" cameras with signs pointing out their presence, which would deter some people from entering the yard, but others might just steal the cameras themselves. :roll:

(a friend suspects a specific person of doing it, and I agree it is possible, and that's part of why I wish I had the cameras. If it is that person, they're so oblivious they wouldn't even notice the cameras, most likely, if hidden.)

Well, I found what should be the correct plug for 220V 4 pin twistlock at Lowes while I was out and about with Bill, bought it, and took it back to the apartment and wired it up to the cable I brought home from the house. Now I just have to wait until I have a couple days off in a row (in case stuff goes wrong and I have to work out alternative transport or something), and take that to the house along with the rest of my tools and see about welding up the stuff on teh biek that needs it.

Unfortunatley that's gonna be at least two weeks from now at the earliest, as I only get one day off in a row for the next two schedules. It might be much longer, or I might never get two in a row off, so I might have to ask for a vacation day next to one of my regular days off so I can do it, eventually. (assuming nothing actually breaks before then).

A few days ago, I had to do a repair to the Accucel 6s charger: the 12VDC input jack broke off the board when I picked up the "charger bundle" I'd made out of it, the power strip, and the Kingpan(power) main pack charger back when I was still at Bill's house. It worked if I held it in place, but I figured that taping it into place would not be a good solution, so I opened it up to resolder the jack, and found that the pins themselves were actually broken off the bottom of it, except for hte one at the tip. So no resoldering possible, and I ended up just wiring the 12VDC ac adapter directly into the PCB and removing the entire jack. No more worries about that breaking now. ;)

Also cleaned out a small mouse's worth of dog hair from inside it, presumably sucked there by the fan. :lol:

After something under 200 miles or so, the relaced half-radial half-1x rear wheel is still holding up fine, no signs yet of cracked spokes or loosening nipples, despite some fairly serious pothole hits I haven't been able to avoid in time (usually due to traffic to my left and/or behind me); some of them were from ridges in the middle of intersections (caused by cars and trucks and busses accelerating thru the intersection, after the pavement is heated in the summer sun, primarily--these ridges can be 6-8" high, like little "frozen surf waves"). The worst one in my path that I must actually cross is on the way home at 31st Ave & Bethany Home Road, on the south side of the intersection just before exiting it, from traffic that is accelerating eastward. It often sends the entire bike's rear end lurching skyward lke the Dukes of Hazzard, even at <15MPH...but usually I have to be going almost 20MPH at that point cuz the light is very short and traffic is very impatient. :(

The worst one that I don't have to cross but is in a lane I ride in is on Metro Parkway, on the left side of the right hand lane just east of the 28th intersection at the north end of Metrocenter. I'm turning right there so I never have to deal with it, but it would bounce even a car's wheel up in the air, so it would probably either break my wheel or frame or cause me to crash, if I did have to cross it.

To save you all from the super-long post, I've broken it up in to three:

So...my brake cable snapped. :(

Inside the handle, about an inch and a half from the little retainer cast onto the end of it.

Remember that I only have a front brake...and "shoe leather", and imagine my dilemma.

Sorry I don't have any pics of it, as it was too dark in the parking lot for the camera-phone to see anything, even with a flashlight it wouldn't get a usable image, and I seem to have lost the snapped end. I must've left the remainder of the cable at my house a bit later. I don't have the pics uploaded yet for the repairs and other upgrades cuz of bandwidth on the free wifi (times out), so maybe I'll get those edited in here eventually.

The good part? It happened as I squeezed the brake handle like I always do just before heading out from work after closing after 9pm on Wednesday night, (because I have had this happen on a regular bike many years ago while RIDING, and that sucked a lot worse, so I always squeeze the handle as hard as I can as a "preflight check", along with various other things like wheel nuts, steering tie rod nuts, lighting, power levels, etc.).

It took some time, perhaps 20-30 minutes at minimum, to undo the cable from the other end, slip it out of the housing, shorten the housing by enough to allow tying a knot in the cable (which is REALLY REALLY HARD TO DO with only one set of pliers/needlenose!), and put the whole thing back together and adjust it just enough to work as long as I didn't need to make more than a VERY wide right turn. (because right turns with the shortened cable and housing mean it pulls on the brake and causes a skid)

Next, I had to go to my house to dig in the almost complete darkness with just a flashlight for the parts to fix the problem:
--cable
--housing
--brake handle/lever (because it's likely something inside the handle wore thru the cable or weakened it).
While there, moving stacks of boxes of stuff around anyway, I decided to also find:
--dc-dc from DayGlo Avenger for 12V
--spare wiring
--controllers I'd last used on the motors that failed (to test here with new motors)
--non-ovoid chainwheels/crankset
--non-THUN BB

It took more than an hour to find all the stuff, and I was soaked in sweat and covered in dust and dirt and soot by the time I was done. Then it took another 20-30 minutes to change out my hacked brake cable for a new one (from Miguerillart, part of payment for upgrading his controller, which I STILL don't know where it is in the stuff saved from the fire, so I can finish it for him. :cry: :oops: :( I thought it would be together with these cables, and woudl've brought it back here with me to work on but the cables were in a box of assorted wire bits: yet again, whoever was helping me sort and box stuff from the front room didn't follow my instructions about putting things already in the same water-damaged box into a new box, together).

Anyway, after some adventures riding around trying to get the brakes set up with the new lever so they'd grip hard when needed while not rubbing on the rim when not used, I eventually figured out I must've somehow managed to use the only one in the box that has the wrong mechanical advantage, because unless I set them up so they took ~100w of power to overcome them to keep moving *at all*, even without squeezing the brake lever, then the lever would hit the bars before I got any serious braking at all. :roll:

Since it was already getting close to midnight, and I was exhausted, I just set it so it didn't rub, grabbed some more levers and a bag of brake parts from Oatnet that were all in the same box, tossed all the parts in my cargo pods, and rode slowly back to the apartment. I kept it under 15MPH most of the way, and less than 10mph wherever I couldn't clearly see everything on the road and nearby, such as if there were parked cars along it. Thankfully there was virtually no traffic or people, most of the way, so no worries about having to suddenly stop. I got home without misadventure.

Yesterday (Thursday) I spent the morning of my day off installing one of the *correct* brake levers, fine tuning the brake setup, ensuring the spare cable is in the toolbag now, and doing a little rewiring.

First up was to ensure I had TWO brakes. Since I still am not able to go to the house and do welding of stuff--

(they've finally torn the back room off the house, and though most of the debris is cleared, there's a pile of stuff right where I have to put the bike and welder and stuff in front of the power meter, where the only outlet is, so until that's cleared away I can't do my work even if I manage to get two days off in a row somehow to do it).

--I can't add mechanical brakes to the back, so I set up a brake line to the 12FET ebikes.ca controller for regen braking instead. A little back story because I can't find a post about this: A few days, maybe a week ago, I had a problem with the brake light, during my preflight check before heading out from work. It turned out to be just a connector partly loose inside my tape-wrapped (recently, of course) wiring harness at the steering column, but in troubleshooting I moved the brake light wires to the switch in the plastic wu-xing ebrake handle I'd had unused on the left side, leaving the Honda brake lever/switch also on that side now unused. That's what I now used to engage the regen on the rear motor, so I had to splice in some wire to reach down there, from the handlebars down to the bottom center of the biek where the 12FET is.

I also changed the mounting of that controller from zip ties (which rot fast in the sun here--a month is pretty good if they last that long, just riding in the sun, not parking in it!) to hose clamps around the frame. Ideally I'd like to drill some bolt holes in the plate down there and bolt it down to them, but I have to find my drill bits and stuff at the house first, along with the right nuts and bolts.

The 6FET ebikes.ca controller doesnt' have regen, apparently (and I'm not opening it up yet to see if I can fix that), so I don't have an ebrake line to it--that's what the WuXing lever was for originally, but I haven't had it connected to it in a while, because it only cuts off the motor, and without a cable in the lever for a mechanical brake, the rough roads will rattle the brake handle enough even with it's internal return spring that the ebrake engages sometimes--I don't care if it does that to the brake light, but I don't want it happening to a motor).

Next up was the DC-DC converter, so I don't have to carry a 12V battery with me as well as a traction battery, *and* so the voltage is constant during a ride and doesn't get lower and lower, causing issues with the Cycle Analyst that is presently powered by that (as I have yet to fix it's internal HVPS). This was pretty straightforward, just wiring it into the 12V system on one side, and the traction pack on the other. The 12V on it is two independent sections: 2.5A on each, and I used one on the CA and the other for the rest of the 12V stuff on the bike. Theoretically that makes the CA "bulletproof" on it's power supply, vs turn signals, headlight, etc.

In reality it didn't work out that way: If I switch the headlight on or off, the CA still blinks a bit, actually worse than when it was on battery, since the battery coudl easily supply a lot more current. Plus the headlight is a little dimmer than before. :( I already knew the DC-DC wouldn't handle the highbeam on the headlight, as that's about 6A, but it should take the 2A from the headlight's lowbeam just fine, and the 0.07A from the under-frame white LED lights. I expected that it would dim from turn signals, as they take about 1/3 an amp or so each and there's two in parallel. Just the headlight drags the voltage down to 11.5V or so from the 12.2V it is at without the headlight load, just the CA on one 12V output and say a brake light or turn signal (or both) on the other. And the headlight drags the voltage down on BOTH outputs.

Then another test was to see if the air compressor for tire fixes would work on it: NO. It doesn't even startup if connected to a tire. Too much current, trips the protection in the DC-DC which shuts off until power cycled. :(

So I will need a (much) bigger DC-DC converter. I know I have some somewhere in my stuff, (well, assuming they werent' in the bedroom that burned; since my ongoing projects were mostly in that room it's possible they were destroyed), but I won't know where they are for weeks, at least, more likely months.

So for now I'm just going to keep it all on the DC-DC to simplify charging and usage and whatnot, and keep the 12V battery on the bike but disconnected, in case I need it to fix a tire problem or the DC-DC gives me issues.

Last up was putting a new shim in the headset bearing on the bottom, because the old one must've fallen out--it has a gap thinner than a credit card that lets the fork rattle back and forth during acceleration / braking, so I fixed it previously with aluminum flashing packed in there tight. This time I used an inch off the end of a hose clamp, which is a little thicker than needed so I had to tamp it in there. since it's thicker, and it's harder metal, maybe it won't work it's way loose. It's problematic because the gap is at teh BOTTOM of the headset, so there's not much I can' do to retain it in there. I tried a few things (tape, etc) but they dont' stay on because of the sun degrading things.

The fork itself still is "loose" at the tops of the suspension part, as the plastic bushings are worn, but not a lot I can do about that right now without replacing the fork with a different one I have at the house. I'll get around to that eventually, I suppose, but that fork presents other problems--it's alloy, so I will require something to deal with torque at the dropouts for the front motor, among other things. It's also disc, not rim brakes, and I can only have rim brakes on the front motor wheel. The latter I can deal with macguyvering stuff, I already have a test idea installed on it, just not actually tested. The former is a tougher issue.

The last bit is an upgrade: Adding a Throttle Tamer from Zombiess, to see if it helps the issues I've had with both the 6FEt (front wheel, throttle jitters vs cruise control) and the 12FET (rear wheel, throttle sensitivity to power).

I also want to see if I can use it to run the same throttle signal to both controllers, and if possible to merge both throttles to one input so I can run the whole bike from left or right hand.

First up was changing the white (Tamiya?) connectors out for the JSTs already on the ebikes.ca controllers; that went easy enough.

Testing the system I found the protection in the Tamer is activated by the throttle, which goes about 0.2V above the max input allowed at WOT, so I had to install two 1" screws (found copiously around the apartment complex from the remodel) into the throttle--one in the housing, and one in the thumb tab's ring, so that together they hit each other and block the throttle from going past the limit. (later i may do it electrically, but this didn't require going to my house for electronic parts I don't have at the apartment).

Next I went thru the procedure in the manual for setting the basics up (vmin and vmax), and will have to do the other part as I have time on the road. So far it does make a difference in the short test around the apartment parking lot. Today's ride to work will be a real test.

One thing about using both motors off one throttle--I will have to relearn how to use that throttle, or replace it with a different one, or get the tamer setup much better, because there's so much startup power that it's very hard to not launch really fast even with a small input, and it's very hard to use a slow speed, like say 10MPH--I have to concentrate hard on just barely inputting any throttle, then the 6FET activates before the 12FET and I can hold that ok; cruise control activates and then I can let go.

Above that, though, I get a super power blast. I gotta test it on the road to practice with it, and fiddle with the Tamer settings, probably on the way home from work as I don't really have time to do it on the way there. So for the ride to work I will only run the rear higher-power motor off teh Tamer, and use the left throttle unmodified for the front low-power motor.

If the throttle ramps up to quick even with slow throttle movement, turn the acceleration pot 2 turns counter clockwise. That should make a noticeable difference. They way I ship the settings is already setup for a fairly high powered bike, but every setup is different. Every time I up the amps on my setup I find it's often nicer to turn the accel pot down again.

If your controllers don't have block time set to 0.0S, go into the programming software and set them to this. If your software doesn't let you do this and you run Xie Chang EB2 or EB3 based controllers I have posted modified version of the software that will allow you to do this.

zombiess said:
If the throttle ramps up to quick even with slow throttle movement, turn the acceleration pot 2 turns counter clockwise. That should make a noticeable difference. They way I ship the settings is already setup for a fairly high powered bike, but every setup is different. Every time I up the amps on my setup I find it's often nicer to turn the accel pot down again.
It actually works pretty well just as it is set, with the exception of the top speed I get out of the HS3540 being so very high at 14s that I had to turn the MaxV pot all the way down for what I want (top of 20MPH so I can just hit WOT and hold it and cruise that way without having to pay attention to anything but traffic and road conditions).

I did set the ramping to be faster, since the main reason I want higher power on this bike is to be able to GTFOOTW of idiots on the road or to quickly accelerate out from the front of a line of waiting cars at a traffic light, so they don't run me over or lay into their horns when the light turns green.

Buuut...the Grin Tech / ebikes.ca 12FET controller itself (nothing to do with the Tamer) apparently has a funky way of operating, that I really really don't like, which is exacerbated by how sensitive this small-diameter wheel/motor combination is to bursts of power.

12FET Overspeed / Rollback Problem:

I put throttle at WOT from a stop, and it accelerates as desired and set by the Tamer (actually I usually use *both* front and rear for the first few seconds so it gets going quicker, with front 9C/6FET on a separate throttle for now), all the way up to top speed, which is just shy of 20MPH, exactly as I want.

Then it creeps up to around 20.4MPH, which I could live with--I don't think the police would care about half a MPH; my speedo in the CA probably isn't even accurate to that since it's just set for basic diameter of a 20" tire. But as soon as it reaches that, maybe a second or two later, power cuts way way down, nearly off. Then it goes back up just a little in power but not enough to hold the speed, and coasts down to as low as 18.5MPH. Then it applies another long burst of power, this time going up to as high as 20.9MPH. Then power cuts again, and eventually cycles back on and goes even higher the third time, up to 21.5MPH before it cuts back. Then it goes back to the first cycle again to not quite 20MPH, or maybe to the second cycle where it's around 20.4MPH.

That set of cycles will repeat constantly as long as I hold any throttle position, under any road conditions or wind (the actual speeds may vary, but the cycle itself does not).

I had *hoped* that this surging was actually being caused by me unconciously relaxing/engaging the throttle despite my willpower not to do so, when I had tested this before I saw the Tamer project was completed and available for sale. But apparently it really is in the controller itself, which makes it more complicated to solve (if it even can be). :(

If the surging had been caused by me, the Tamer would've fixed the problem, or at the least the ramping and buffering settings would change the timing of the surges/fallbacks, but it doesn't, unfortunately. Not the Tamer's fault.

6FET and Cruise Control Overspeed / Rollback Problem:

FWiW, if I instead use the 6FET and front motor to do the cruising, setting it's cruise (when it can be bothered to engage) to about 19-19.5MPH, then I can WOT with the 12FET and rear motor, and it will up to the 20.4MPH as soon as the Tamer ramp setting lets it, and tend to hold there pretty well, on flat terrain. But as soon as I get to any slight incline or get a headwind or tailwind change, then the 6FET's poorly-designed cruise algorithm changes the throttle setting (usually the wrong way for the conditions) and I either begin to quickly overspeed or suddenly the power dies way back, on the 6FET, and then the 12FET tries to compensate for a die-back and overspeeds and begins cycling like it would when on it's own.

The latter also happens if I set the 6FET cruise for less than 19MPH and then WOT the 12FET. :(

The 6FET's cruise is unreliable, and I don't trust it to use on the road in traffic, because it varies by several MPH sometimes, even on reasonably level streets and no winds. I don't yet even understand how it decides whether to raise the throttle or lower it, becuase it doesn't even do the same thing each time I ride over the same path even when wind is the same (or nonexistent), and I set the same speed in it.

The 6FET's cruise may sometimes hold the speed I set for a few seconds, or not at all, or for a whole mile (which is usually as far as I can go before I have to stop for a traffic control--typically it's every half mile; very rarely I may reach a light when it's green and be able to go thru without changing speeds, extending the cruise another half mile or so). But it pretty much always decelerates by 1-2MPH within seconds of releasing it. Since the law says I can't exceed 20MPH and I don't want trouble, I try to never do that. That means that if I set the cruise at 20MPH, speed drops to 19 or even 18MPH pretty quick after I let go. Sometimes it keeps dropping, down to 16 or 17MPH, and I wonder if it even set at all--then it surges a bit and I can hear and feel that it's definitely engaged, just not working as expected (probably as designed, but it's a crappy design, if so).

Sometimes, though, it begins accelerating instead of slowing, and if I'm already at 19-20MPH I have to twitch the thumb tab to disengage it. :( (FWIW I have tried tapping the brakes either mechanical or the rear regen (no ebrake hooked up on the 6FET) a bit to slow, which works and makes the cruise work normally for a second, but hten it will again either begin overspeed again or it will start slowing.

Even when I'm in a big parking lot or on one of the multi-use-paths where I ride at about 10MPH, cruise will do the same thing. In this case I've allowed it to continue with the overspeed to see how far it will go, on occasion, and it's reached 13-15MPH from a setting of 10MPH, which is pretty ridiculous. It doesn't usually slow down that much from 10, around 8 or 9MPH most of the time. But it still doesn't hold the speed I set.

6FET Cruise Control Engage Problem:

Most frustrating of all is trying to get it to engage AT ALL--even with the Tamer helping me to give it a constant voltage (monitored with a multimeter ziptied to the bars in one case), the cruise frequently will not engage at all; sometimes it does after only a second or two, and sometimes it takes 30 seconds of holding it at one setting (of course, it could've engaged long before then, and I wouldn't know, but if I hold it and it doesn't engage, I count one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two, etc., each subsequent time it won't engage, and release it to zero each time before trying again. I may try this over two or three miles sometimes to get it to engage, increasing my count by one second each time before releasing, only eventually getting it to engage after 30 seconds or so of holding it.

That's an awful lot of concentration that's not being applied to watching traffic or road conditions, so I've only done this under zero-traffic conditions, in broad daylight so I can clearly see quite far when I do have the chance to look around. And it is why I basically don't like to use the cruise function.

Basically the 6FET never holds a speed, or even close to it, as I would expect, and it doesn't engage when it should, and does when it shouldn't. It takes far too much of my attention off the road to monitor it or to get it to work, when in fact it should be doing hte exact opposite--freeing my attention from speed control and allowing me to more closely monitor traffic and road conditions!

Again, I'd hoped that twitches or vibrations causing throttle voltage changes were responsible for the issues of engaging it, but they're not, as proven by the Tamer and a voltmeter. :(

So while unfortunatley the Tamer doesn't fix the two main issues I'd hoped it would, it *does* do what I expected it to do, and is very easy to use and set up. Once I get the other two issues solved, it will be able to do what I want it to do. :)

I may need to do a modification to one of it's throttle outputs, though: Eventually I want to use a single throttle to control both of the motors, and since the Tamer has two outputs, I can easily do that. But each controller responds very differnetly to the throttle's WOT voltage for it's final speed, so I will have to do some sort of adjustable voltage divider on one of them so that whatever MaxV I set in the Tamer is for the least-responsive controller (6FET, I think) and then set the divider on the other to match that speed output on the other controller/motor. Should be easy to do once I get some of my parts from the house, but that will probably be a while as I have little idea where they presently are.

TL;DR:

Basically, you've got a fine product that will eventually be able to help me do what I want, but I apparently have other problems to solve before that.

If your controllers don't have block time set to 0.0S, go into the programming software and set them to this. If your software doesn't let you do this and you run Xie Chang EB2 or EB3 based controllers I have posted modified version of the software that will allow you to do this.

I haven't yet tried to deal with the programming on the ebikes.ca controllers yet--first I have to find my USB-serial dongle for this, which was from Lyen a couple years back but should work with any of these controllers, assuming the controllers are actually programmable.

Once I do that I may be able to solve the other problems, as well as strengthen the wimpy regen of the 12FET, which while it does slow me a little, isn't even enough to overcome the front 6FET by more than about 1MPH or so at 19MPH. :lol:

It's been a long time since I tried doing any controller programming changes, though, basically since I first got the Lyen 6FET that is still on DayGlo Avenger, I think.

Hi AW,

Go ahead and be an outlaw and go 23 or 24mph. Don't worry, there's no way cops are going to mess with you for going that speed, or even 28 or 29 for that matter unless it's in a 15mph school zone. Can you imagine the ribbing they'd get at the station for pulling over an electric bike for speeding at 28mph. They'd never hear the end of it, especially when the speed limit is probably 40 or more on that road. Now if a cop wants to hassle you, it's not going to matter what speed you're riding.

I don't know about using the TT to try to limit max speed. That seems like a stretch if you had to turn the MaxV all the way down.

Also keep in mind that with the TT you get different results depending how fast you twist the throttle. Changing the acceleration pot changes the overall ramp up time of the throttle output, but then for any given setting how quickly you twist the throttle also varies the ramp up time. It make it so I can start off as smooth and easy as I want by turning the throttle slowly, but I can still take off hard by twisting the throttle more quickly. No matter how quickly you twist it, the ramp is still softer than without the TT, but there is quite a difference in throttle response depending how quickly we twist. That makes it totally different than the current ramp up controlled throttle response of bargain controllers, where to get a soft smooth start means you can never have a hard start. It would be soft and gentle (mushy feeling) no matter how quickly you twist that throttle.

I wonder what's causing you oscillations. If it's instability in the throttle supply voltage, maybe you can get it from the other controller.

For your speed limit issue, if it's one of the EB2 or EB3 boards, then changing the speed limits is the way to go, and then use the TT to fine tune throttle response.

John

John in CR said:
Go ahead and be an outlaw and go 23 or 24mph. Don't worry, there's no way cops are going to mess with you for going that speed, or even 28 or 29 for that matter unless it's in a 15mph school zone. Can you imagine the ribbing they'd get at the station for pulling over an electric bike for speeding at 28mph. They'd never hear the end of it, especially when the speed limit is probably 40 or more on that road. Now if a cop wants to hassle you, it's not going to matter what speed you're riding.

If only it was that simple...but the ticket wouldn't be for speeding. They don't usually just hassle people on bicycles, though I have experienced that in years past long before I started my ebike quest--nowadays they are more careful in what they do, and don't usually just harass people without some legal reason to stop them. (I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't run into it yet myself).

Unfortunately the police in this city (well, metro area of several cities) vary quite a bit in their levels of enforcement. It's worse in some places like Tucson, where the Death Races were held, where police have been known to ticket for 1MPH over the assisted limit of 20MPH. But it could and does happen here, too--so far only to stinkbikes AFAIK but I get followed a fair bit by police down in this part of town, cuz there are lots of people riding bicycles that are doing things they probably ought not be doing, so anything out of the ordinary about a cyclist (i.e., if you're not a lycra-wearing skinny-tire-bike-riding cyclist) they'll be overly interested in your activities and what you do on the road.

They do pull over people on bikes around here, even just pedal-only, though I don't know that they actually write them any tickets or anything else, as I am just passing by them and not stopping to see the results, or to find out why they were stopped. Most of the ones I see are "salvagers" with piles of questionable-origin stuff tied to their bikes in various unsafe ways, sometimes so much that they couldn't even ride it, and have to walk beside it. (there's a big problem with theft of metal objects, often pipe and wiring cut from houses and businesses that don't at that moment have a person right there to prevent it--like the looters keep doing over at my house, since the fire).

If I was to be pulled over for not keeping my bike "operated below 20MPH", as the law reads, then the tickets issued (and AFAIK enforced in court) are essentially "operating a motor vehicle (motorcycle/moped) without a license", "operating an unlicensed/unregistered motor vehicle (motorcycle/moped)", and "operating an uninsured motor vehicle (motorcycle/moped)". "The Big Three" as they are called around here, by motorists (usually car drivers) that get this combo.

The bike would also be impounded, and that means in total well over a $1000 in tickets plus impound fees, and I'd basically be screwed. I couldn't pay the fines, and I couldn't get my bike back (even if I won the court case I'd still owe the impound fees, which are per-day, so the bike would be gone in either case).

So I cannot afford to risk it, at all, evne though the risk is pretty small that I'd actually be stopped and ticketed.

It is the very definition of a bicycle (with assist) in AZ law that causes the above to be handed out for exceeding the limit, because it's not speeding (that would only be for exceeding a speed limit on a particular stretch of street or road), it's operating a vehicle outside of it's definition and thus making it an illegal vehicle, by operating it in the next class of vehicle up's limits (moped/motorcycle), which required the M-class license, insurance, and registration/licensing of the vehicle.

Mind you, I could ride a regular unasissted bicycle at anything up to the road/street's speed limit, but once it has an assist installed (whether using it or not) it is now limited to less than 20MPH. :roll:

So...that's the shaft we get here--but there's no POWER or WEIGHT limit, so I can have as many watts as I like, on as big a vehicle as I like, as long as it has "three or less wheels in contact with the ground at any time". ;) (and meets any other restrictions of the ARS section 28 definition of a bicycle)

I don't know about using the TT to try to limit max speed. That seems like a stretch if you had to turn the MaxV all the way down.
Well, it's just a temporary way to do it, until I can figure out what the deal is with the controller, and get to my electronics parts at my house (if they still exist), so I can build a little box for the handlebars that goes next to the throttle tab, so I can just press a button for "cruise at 19.9MPH" (street) or "cruise at 10MPH" (big parking lots), or whatever I've preset.

Then I can put adjustable voltage dividers on the inputs to each controller, so that the TT's outputs can be adjusted to get the desired loaded speed out of each motor when the main throttle input is whatever it is.

Then I can use the TT to just do what it was really designed to do, and take care of the ramping/etc on the whole system, so I don't have to worry about a jumpy throttle, especially on bad roads with lots of vibration (which we have a lot of).

Also keep in mind that with the TT you get different results depending how fast you twist the throttle. Changing the acceleration pot changes the overall ramp up time of the throttle output, but then for any given setting how quickly you twist the throttle also varies the ramp up time. It make it so I can start off as smooth and easy as I want by turning the throttle slowly, but I can still take off hard by twisting the throttle more quickly. No matter how quickly you twist it, the ramp is still softer than without the TT, but there is quite a difference in throttle response depending how quickly we twist. That makes it totally different than the current ramp up controlled throttle response of bargain controllers, where to get a soft smooth start means you can never have a hard start. It would be soft and gentle (mushy feeling) no matter how quickly you twist that throttle.

Yeah, and that's a part of what I want the TT for, so I can better integrate the 2WD on this bike, for that "instant power" when it's needed, but softer more controllable response when I don't.

I wonder what's causing you oscillations. If it's instability in the throttle supply voltage, maybe you can get it from the other controller.
No, it's something in the way the controller itself does things. I've checked voltages with a meter strapped to the bars while riding, clipped to various places, and it's all steady there, including the actual throttle voltage output into the controller. This 12FET simply seems to be designed or programmed in some wierd way I haven't encountered before, where it severely rolls back power/voltage to the motor once it's reached the speed demanded of the throttle input, below the power/voltage level required to maintain that speed, instead of just holding it there. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's basically what it is doing, though I don't know by what internal mechanism.

If I can find the USB dongle to program it with, then assuming it *is* a programmable model, I'll try Anpaza's software and see what I can do with it.

For your speed limit issue, if it's one of the EB2 or EB3 boards, then changing the speed limits is the way to go, and then use the TT to fine tune throttle response.

Well, what I really ultimately want is not to actually limit the speed itself, because I still want the ability to instantly override the cruise speed and slam on the power to get out of someone's way if I have to--it doesn't happen often but it does come up from time to time where slowing/braking won't prevent a collision, but speeding up really quickly for an instant would--and in traffic around here, it's often not possible to see that someone is about to make a really stupid move right into your path. You only get warning when they actually start to do it, and GTFOOTW fast is the only safe option in some of those cases--that or just veer off the road and crash into something else, or collide with yet another vehicle that's moving two or three times as fast as you are. :roll:

Using the controller's speed limits and a 3-speed switch would mean taking the time to flip the switch to another mode, and there's usually only time for a simple reaction--throttle or brake or swerve, and that's it--two actions in series, one of them probably taking attention from the road might just end up worse than no action.

This is a lunchtime sketch of the frame as I would like to modify it once I have time off to do the welding over at the house, and can get to the outlet to do it.

The green-outlined parts would be new tubes added in to triangulate the center of the frame, taking out those yellow/black striped bars I presently have on there (used to be all black--the thin round tubes I'd added back when the toptube broke in the crash).

The top green tubes would be square tubing 1" dia added to the front end of the two cargo pod rails (also 1" sq tube), then triangullating inward to the "headtube" that is the handlebar pivot, just below the toptube. Ideally I'd put them so they line up with the back end of the front toptube instead, several inches lower, but I would like to leave that center frame as open as I can so I can put battery packs/etc in there.

That's what those two boxes in the pic are--the back one is the 50cal ammocan with the main pack in it, and would be offset to the left side as far as possible, to clear the chain on the right. The 7.62cal ammocan is vertical in front of it (presently it is where the 50cal would go, and the 50cal is on the side cargo rail under the seat).

The vertical green tubes to the rear of the center space would not be welded on, but rather bolted on--probably would use 1" tube, with the ends crushed flat, and holes drilled in the flat ends, then bolted thru the square tubing at the top and bolted along with the lower cargo rails to the bottom end to the bottom bike frame. The leftside tube would be longer and less straight, to make room for the 50cal pack, and the rightside one would be as straight as possible and still clear the chain.

The magenta lines at the rear of the cargo frame would be some cross-triangulation (an X viewed from the rear) to help stabilize the wiggle I get of those boxes when I go over big bumps. Won't stop it but should help, as most of the wiggle is because they squeeze together at the bottom ends on rebound from bumps.

Attachments

• 0813130803-00a.JPG
    0813130803-00a.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,719
I've had a problem the last two days that doesn't make sense to me: the left side cover on the Crystalyte HS3540 keeps having it's screws work loose. This results in the cover working loose from the rotor, by up to about 3mm, and then it begins making a once-a-rotation noise that's probably something scraping inside as the rotor can nat that point wiggle around on the stator/axle--the wheel can be rocked back and forth a little when off-ground when this happens (not a normal thing; it feels just like when the cone nuts on a regular bike wheel are loose).

It never did that in the last few hundred miles, and nothing I can detect about the motor, mounting, wheel/spokes/rim/lacing, axle nuts, etc, has changed.

The only thing that changed is that now I use regen braking on it (peak of about 250W, quickly dwindling down to <100W), starting a few days before this problem began.

However, suspecting that as the issue, I didn't use regen at all on the trip home from work, and they still loosened up after less than a mile, after having tightened them during lunch at work (since they had loosened on my way there, too).

Puzzling is that the *right side* cover screws do not loosen, just the left side. :?

I'll have to buy some loctite, since any that I had, if it still exists, would've been heated up quite a lot in the front room too close to the fire, and probably isn't any good anymore.

In the meantime, I'm basically having to stop every couple of miles to check the screws. They don't always loosen, but when they do, it happens danged fast.

amberwolf said:
Puzzling is that the *right side* cover screws do not loosen, just the left side. :?........

Did you ever remove those screws to inspect / work on that motor? Do the screws have lock washers?
Is that side taking any extra forces due to the bike being heavier or biased to one side causing pressure or vibration?

e-beach said:
Did you ever remove those screws to inspect / work on that motor?

So far all I've done is to relace it, AFAICR. I poked thru my posts about the motor here and didn't see anything about me opening it up, either, and since I usually post that kinda stuff I'll go with "no" for now. :lol: I have several times been tempted to open it up, but trying to stay determined to not do so to either motor presently on the bike, just so I can't cause myself problems. :lol:

Do the screws have lock washers?

No; and they are beveled-inset screws rather than flat, so lockwashers can't be used, either. Thus why I will need to go get some loctite.

Is that side taking any extra forces due to the bike being heavier or biased to one side causing pressure or vibration?
It's always possible, but even if the bike were being ridden tilted causing a lot of side forces, I'd expect it to have done this before now, if that was the cause. And/or to have done it on the other side sometimes, becuase if I have a load in just one cargo box, I do ride tilted to counterbalance that, and I ride with such a load every few rides, due to the nature of some of the loads.

Regen appeared to be the cause, but since it did it even without the regen, in only a mile, I dunno.

It also didn't do it when it was very heavily loaded, on several of my work commutes back to the apartment (~10 miles), prior to the sudden start of the problem.

My theory is that regen is vibrating the covers/motor in a way that operation and riding doesn't, though I don't really know why it would. Then that vibration along with forces in the opposite direction from normal is causing the screws to loosen just a little bit (probably *because* they are those recessed type of screws, and have the slanted heads to convert applied crosswise forces into outward forces), and then regular vibration on the road (of which there is a LOT) does the job after that.

Buuut...there was no regen in the loosenings last night on the way back to the apartment from work. So I just dunno.

And they're definitely tight beforehand: I think if I tried to tighten them any more than they already are, I'd either strip the philips slots out or break the heads off. :lol:

Some more details of the cruise problem on the 6FET: I've figured out one way that causes it to not hold speed. If I hold throttle at one speed, then accelerate slowly to a couple MPH higher, hold that for cruise engage, then let go, two things could happen:

1--sometimes it will have engaged cruise at the lower setting, and doesn't disengage it when I go to the higher speed, so when I let go it goes back down to the lower speed as the bike naturally slows from the lower power being held by the controller---but the controlelr doesn't just cut power, it ramps it down, till it gets back to the lower speed.

2--sometimes it does not engage at the lower setting, so it stays engaged at the higher one, and maintains (usually) that speed.

Mostly though, it doesn't do anything like that, and I can just push the throttle from zero to where I want it, hold it, and it engages, and then it may hold for a time and then just begin dropping up to a few MPH for no obvious reason, or it may begin dropping immediately (making me think it's not in cruse, but I've waited sometimes and found it *is* still in cruise, just not at the speed I set).

I think the latter problem is that it doesn't wait the ~6 seconds it should, to engage cruise, and sometimes just engages it anyway even after a second or maybe even less. I've had that happen rarely, but mulitple times in various parking lots over all of my many rides, where I just give it a short burst of power to accelerate a little from a near-stop to a few MPH, and then expect it to coast down to a stop but then find the motor is still pulling me along, and shouldn't be.

I tested the throttle with a meter on the bars and managed to catch the problem once while it was on there, but the meter showed throttle at "zero" (~0.8v, IIRC) as soon as I let go of it, and staying that way. So it's something inside the controller's brain (MCU) itself doing this, and I don't understand why.

It's all the more frustrating because of the other controller's surge/rollback problem, which basically means I can't ever really just ride at a constant speed--it's usually either accelerating or coasting down, either slowly or severely, and it's damned annoying. :(

EDIT: for the above, I mostly mean using either the 12FET at any constant throttle doesn't hold the speed, or using the 6FET in cruise doesn't hold the speed. At least some of the time, probably most, the 6FET will hold the speed fine if I am just holding the throttle position manually. (though there are times when it's speed just keeps creeping up and up and up and I'm pretty sure I'm not moving it--when I let go of it it still keeps creeping up, gaining about 1MPH every half mile or less).

Well, I must've cranked the screws down enough after the ride night before yesterday: Only one loosened, and that only about 1.25 turns. The rest stayed tight, even using regen on the way home (didn't use it on the way to work hoping the problem would be less). The one loose one was on the way to work, found during my check at lunch, so it happened in the last two miles, as I stopped to check every couple miles.

No other difference AFAIK from yesterday to previous days. I'll continue riding as normal and see what happens, and will also see about some loctite today while I'm out and about (day off).

I've come up with some further ideas on the frame, to give even more space inside the frame while making it nice and stiff, but they would require building a new one from scratch, which I won't have time to do for a while. I get new vacation time next month, though, so I will be taking a week off as soon as I can do so after that shows up, to do various things and prep a workspace at the house for bike stuff and do more organizing of what I'm keeping out of what's left there, since it will be getting cooler soon after that, and then maybe I can take another week off and actually work on either a frame from scratch if there's time or finish the one I'd planned as a replacement, or at the least fix the existing one I'm riding now with the mods sketched in the recent post.

If I can manage a new frame I can also manage a middrive again, probably using a hubmotor as the drive source--keeping a DD hub in the front wheel as secondary/emergency drive, and for extra braking (if possible I will be running regen power back thru the drivetrain for the middrive, but most likely won't be able to do that without too many complications).

Time...that's the real problem. Just not enough time at the *right* time.

The cover-loosening problem has almost gone away of it's own accord, but not completely. It now takes several rides for it to begin loosening again, though when it starts it worsens quickly. AFAICT I'm not tightening them down more than I did before, but maybe I am, in unconscious frustration. :lol: I still have to go get the loctite--I keep forgetting when I am out and about and stores would still be open that would have it.

Yesterday after work I rode an extra 7 miles, plus the 20 for work commute, to go pick up my trailer from Bill's, in case I need it down here. I also went to pick up a box from Ypedal:
0818132132-00.jpg

Two of those 20" ex-Zero rims. Once I need to rebuild the rear wheel again, that and some proper spokes ought to make it *really* good. Or, if I ever build that narrow tilting trike I keep pondering, they could end up as the paired wheels (dunno what I'd use for the third one yet).

0818132133-00.jpg

Speaking of wheel rebuilds--so far, other than the screws on the cover repeatedly coming loose for whatever reason, I haven't had any problems with the now-oddly-laced wheel. None of the spokes have loosened that I can tell, nor have any appeared to show problems at the heads or elbows. The washers all seem to be holding up fine, too. Teh rim has not yet shown any visible cracking around the nipple holes, but that is probably more a matter of time rather than an "if" thing.

The only persistent issue I have with the bike besides the rear motor cover, and the throttle/controller issues, is one that had vanished for quite a while (months) but is now back: The CA's shunt connection at the JST is intermittent, causing spurious wattage/current readings that make it just about impossible to keep track of Ah/Wh used. The Speed sensor on the same connector has no problems, nor does the Voltage sensor/supply to the CA. Just the shunt, and I don't know which wire it is, cuz if I touch anything, it works again just fine for a while, then goes intermittent again. Everytime I do anything at all to it it works, and I see no crimp or insulation or wire problems, no bad continuity readings while flexing things, etc., and no contact surface corrosion like I' have seen on various JSTs before (usually halls).

So, I'm about ready to take the connector off and wire it straight in...but before I do I will probably just replace the JST shell and contacts on both sides, since I do have extras. I had planned to do that before, but I forget if I ever did, because the problem went away for a while, then the house fire, and I've had stuff on my mind from that/etc., and don't recall now. Probably I never did it, so maybe replacing them will fix it.

The trip itself was fairly uneventful, except for the huge gusts of winds from the storms surrounding the valley--none of them actually did more than a very light misting sprinkle, down where I am now on Thomas, and I don't think they did anything at all up at Bill's on Greenway, or at work on Peoria (there wasn't any sign of it when i left, or while I was there).

The trailer only had the one little very light box on it, so it was easy for the wind to catch and try to toss it around. A few times it pushed it skidding sideways as I was riding at speed, causing the whole bike to judder as the trailer jerked back into line as soon as the gust died. I had to ride well away from any parked cars (there's long stretches where the bike lane is right up against the tires and doors of cars parked between it and the curb, and a few places where people with super-wide flatbed trailers full of junk, and very wide trucks, are actually over into and blocking some or all of the bike lane because they didn't park them very well).

Now....the rest of this you can skip if you want...it's just a kind of a rant about drivers. So the print is tiny, and you can Ctrl-+ or zoom in or quote it and read it in the reply box or whatever.
A few times there were cars that seemed to deliberately wait until I was about to have to pass such a parked vehicle (and had to move out of the bike lane into the car lane, to avoid any possible impact with the parked vehicle) to speed up and pass me, forcing me to slow very rapidly and be in their way halfway into their lane, so that if I did scrape the badly-parked vehicle at least I wouldn't be going very fast. None of them honked at me, but some revved their engines a lot, and none of them needed to do that maneuver--all they had to do was keep going the speed they were going and I would have been well out of their way long before they passed me.

That's actually a problem I run into a fair bit, on narrow roads with parked vehicles, and no bike lane (or a "shared" bike lane, where people are allowed to park in it--really common in Glendale, and older places in Phoenix). Traffic will be sparse, or nearly nonexistent, and I'll be riding in the car lane, because it's dangerous to have to dodge in and out between parked cars--you can't see the traffic behind you very well, if at all, that is about to pass you, and they can't see that you're there very easily, if at all, either. So I only pull to the right into the spaces between parked cars when I absolutely must in order to let a faster vehicle pass me, just as they are about to need to do so if spacing permits.

But some roads are a little wider, and actually ahve room for me to ride in teh right portion of the car lane and still have PLENTY of room for even wide trucks with trailers to pass me with lots of clearance. Yet, on those roads, some people (usually in cars, not trucks) will zoom up faster than they had been going before, once I begin to approach an area where I'll be forced to choose between veering to the right and collision with a parked vehicle, slowing dramatically (like down to ~5MPH in many cases, because if I slow down so do they, same for speeding up), or having them rear-end me or sideswipe me, which while I might win a court or insurance battle woudln't help cuz I wouldn't have a bike or probably a job by the time I got out of the hospital (and Tiny would not have me to care for her while I was in there, either).

I don't know if these drivers are maliciously doing this, or if they're just morons that aren't thinking about the consequences of how they're driving (because there are LOTS of those on the road, and I've talked with a few people that didn't think about what would happen when they cut someone off like that, or other things I've seen them do and had the rare chance to chat about peacefully). Eh, anyway, rant over.

And this is a gripe about the apartment's laundry stuff...but has to do with why I picked up the trailer. Again....if you wanna read it....
I probably will need that trailer, to go do laundry elsewhere than the machines here at the apartment: About July 22nd, I'd called in the most recent call to MacGray about their machines not taking all the coins needed to start them, and they said they'd have someone out within 3 days to fix the problem, and they'd notify me by email once it was fixed. They did send the refund check for the money the machines had already eaten, before the time limit they'd set. After a couple of weeks I assumed that they just forgot to email me, and had actually fixed the issue, but I didn't try any of the machines except the one that had worked for me previously when I finally had to do laundry regardless. I did see some machines in various laundry rooms that someone had started to put money in but hadn't put the full amount according to the display, so those machines probably still weren't working / hadn't been fixed (but I don't know when they stopped working).

But on August 15th, I finally got an email that they'd fixed the issue. Nearly a month (at least three weeks) from the report of it. I guess they assume everyone has huge closets full of clothes, towels, and bed linens, etc., to be able to have a whole month's worth of stuff to use and wear until they bother to come out and fix things. They wont' even accept responses to any of their email addresses, with autoresponders telling me to call their support number instead, so I could get the details of why it took so long and whether this is typical. So I've decided to assume this will be typical of them, and determined that I won't spend any money with their company, and thus won't be using the apartment facilities for it. I'll pass a note on to the apartment managers about the experience, as well--I doubt it will change anything, but maybe they will reconsider renewing the contract with them when that comes up, eventually.

Oh, I also forgot to mention: On my way home from work today (morning shift, got off in afternoon) I went by the store before going by my house (see house fire updates thread for that part), and as I was locking up the bike, a couple of people (unrelated to each other) rode up to also lock up to the stand. The guy didn't say anything, but we talked later, as I was putting stuff away and getting ready to ride off as he came out of the store to the stand. But the gal said "Now THAT's a ride!" when she came up to the stand as I was leaving the bike. :lol:

I chatted for just a moment with her, till she dismissed me with a typical social cue phrase (I forget what it was but I hear it a lot when people don't want me to keep talking, took me a long time to understand it because it doesn't sound like a dismissal, it sounds like they're really interested and want to hear more).

The guy, I spoke with a little about various types of drive systems, as he's got a coaster-brake single-speed (I think he also has front caliper brakes), and has to deal with taking the bike up/down stairs so whatever he puts on would have to be light--I think the Kepler eBoost might be his best option, since it's all easy to remove and pretty light. He's tried some drive system before that bolted something to his spokes (belt? chain? dunno) going to a drive on a rear rack I think, but it kept breaking spokes so he didn't like it much.

Anyway, he said he'd come to the forums to see about all the many types of drives we've all got, and what might work best for him.

I noticed this a few nights ago:
0819132319-00.jpg

I have never ever seen a bearing cup just break a piece off like that. I imagine that it is from the imperfect fit of the bearing in it, hammering against it minutely every accelleration/braking cycle, and every bump on the road (of which there are multitudes of bad ones).

As soon as it's practical I have to go to the house and see if I have any bearing cups on other bikes that will fit that headtube and bearing (it's a 1-1/8" sealed-bearing ring type, on a 1-1/8" headtube but the bearing cup is meant for the "loose" ball-bearing type).

(the shim I have to minimize the movement is in the back of the headtube, directly opposite the broken point).

On my way home from work yesterday evening, a while before sunset (after a stop for food/wifi and then groceries, right up at Peoria Ave where I work), a big storm rolled thru--I've heard them called "habib", not sure how applicable it is.

The winds were gusting very high, and even between gusts weren't wimpy. When they first really hit, shortly after I crossed Dunlap, I couldn't maintain 20MPH even at full throttle on both motors. Gusts would slow me to half that, sometimes, more often shave about 5MPH off for a few seconds before I could speed up again. If I didn't apply full throttle I'd quickly end up crawling along too slowly to even stay upright, especially with all the side-winds, as the winds were from the southeast, primarily (with some gusts from just about every possible direction).

The max I saw was around 1500W, but I was using so much power constantly that the pack voltage was going down enough that after a while that was only 1200W. I don't rememeber the Amps being used; I'm not sure if I ever checked. I'd already used up about 6Ah between the ride to work and the rides to get food and groceries, out of the theoretical 30Ah I carry (which is probably more like 20-25Ah given that I don't charge it to the max voltage, and I don't want to discharge it to the minimum; I don't think I ever have yet).

The recharge shows 17.8Ah put back into the packs after I got home, but I don't know what the total Ah used was for the storm trip, because just as I was about to reach 27th Ave south of Indian School, the whole bike went dead (and the CA is running on so low a 12V input that it doesn't usually have time to save it's data at shutdown). Thankfully it seems to just have been water seeped into the main breaker causing it to disconnect for some reason; and flipping it off and back on fixed it for the rest of the ride home. I've never had that problem before even in worse downpours...so I'm not sure exactly what happened or why. Guessing at the breaker since if it was anything else overloading the breaker it should've popped again but didn't.

Oh, also, water must've gotten into either the throttle for the rear motor, or the Throttle Tamer, or one of the connections along the way to the controller, and bridged the signal and 5V wires, because somewhere about half a mile before the shutdown, the rear motor would no longer return to zero power. At first it was just enough to click me along forward when at a stop with no brakes applied, one pole at a time. Applying the ebrake stopped it of course. Less than a quarter mile later it was more like half-power, though, and it was only possible to stop or stay stopped by using the ebrake (which also engages regen on that motor). Annoying, but not that big an issue, since I was actually still having trouble maintaining speed due to insufficient power to overcome winds, anyway.

I took some pics before the rain started (didn't wanna get the phone wet) whenever I had to stop for a light/etc. anyway, but most of them were too blurry cuz the wind was gusting so bad that it moved my hand with the phone while the pic was being taken. :( So here's the only ones that were remotely viewable. They are all a lot brighter than it actually was--at best the light was only half of what the pic shows, and in the last two it was much less than that--perhaps a fourth of what the picture makes it look like.

It was very hard to see because of all the dust. Normally I can see the color of the traffic light for at least the next mile's intersection, sometimes two or three on a clear night, but I couldn't even see the *streetlights* a quarter mile down the road until well after the rain started washing the dirt out of the air. Again, that's not as apparent in the pictures.

I was very glad of the FF helmet's visor (even though I don't have the detachable chin guard on there, it still kept almost all the dust out of my face, and later did keep the rain off just fine). A bicycle helmet or non-visored helmet would've forced me to just sit on the side of the road to wait it out, without full goggles.

This was at Butler and 29th Ave, just before reaching my house (which I pass by to check on the looting and the rebuilding progress, on the way to work and the way back to the apartment).
0826131855-00.jpg

Shortly after that, before even reaching Northern & 31st Ave, I was blown off the road twice--once at Griswold as I entered the intersection the front end was actually picked up while the back end was pulled by crosswinds, and I almost lost control and would've flipped and rolled, but because I was at the intersection and only able to go about 17MPH (at full throttle!) against the wind, I *barely* managed to change that into an unexpected sharp right turn and skid on the edge of the metal cargo box (thankfully the corner didn't dig in, which WOULD have flipped me), and then make a U turn and right turn and then back onto 31st Ave. If it had not been at an intersection I'd've just ended up hitting the curb and either flipping or crashing into someone's yard or wall (or the line of parked cars if it had been any further south).

The second time was just after the line of parked cars, as I moved rightward to stay in the lane to go straight thru on 31st Ave. This one I managed to brake safely thanks to the regen in the rear wheel, cuz again the front was lifted up enough to have zero traction, but I ended up scraping along the curb with front tire and right cargo pod for a ways before I could actually stop, then restart and get back on the road itself and continue on.

The next two were at (I think) Glendale Ave. Might've been Bethany Home, but I don't think so; I think I made the green light at BH...but I don't remember for sure.
0826131903-00.jpg

0826131903-01.jpg

When I was almost to the beginning of the bike-path portion of the trip, where 31st Ave disappears for half a mile, starting half a mile south of Bethany Home Rd., it began to sprinkle, and the winds died down some, enough to allow me to acutally reach 20MPH again once past the bike path section, back on 31st Ave itself (I usually only go about 10MPH on that path when it's dark outside, because even though the path is well lit there are numerous trees and bushes that people or animals sometimes suddenly step out from behind, as none of them ever look either way on the path before they do it, and regular cyclists or other pedestrians (joggers with ipods, usually) collide with them at least once every couple weeks just during the time I'm on that path. During daylight when i can more clearly see the whole path, I may go up to 15MPH if it's completely clear of people. If there's a lot of people I may stay right at the edge of stability, around 8MPH).

The rain made the road really slick with oils and stuff running off, so I kept testing my brakes in areas where any skid out wouldn't have crashing into something, and there were a few times where hard braking just caused the bike to shudder as the tires grabbed/skid repeatedly, and didn't actually slow me much, making it very hard to steer/control the bike. Thankfully I didn't have to actually do any stops like that for real, but I wanted to know what I would be in for if I did have to try.

So mostly I just kept riding speeds down to 15MPH or less whenever there might be a risk of having to do any sudden stops, and I coasted down to a stop at traffic controls rather than depending on brakes, so I wouldn't end up skidding into an active intersection or something, should things go awry.

Otherwise, I went as fast as the winds would allow, which was between 18-19MPH, sometimes up to 20MPH, even with full throttle on both motors. (keeping in mind that full throttle on the rear motor is actually limited by the Throttle Tamer to something like half-throttle, I'd guess, but still, normally it would be possible to keep going faster and faster well past 20MPH with just the front motor, though I haven't tested it's top loaded speed. Because of gusting winds I couldn't say what the average power might have been, but I saw minimums of 700W-ish, and peaks of 1200W, on that part of the ride until I got home.

Turning east onto Thomas for the final stretch slowed me down to 16MPH even at 1200W, downhill from the freeway-service-road intersection, and only about 14MPH up that hill at the same power level, slowing to about 12MPH near the top/center of the intersection--thankfully wiht no cars behind me. The actual turn onto Thomas nearly wiped me out again, because the wind gusted just after i'd started out from 26th Ave southward to make my left turn onto Thomas, again hard enough to lift the front end for almost no traction, and I couldn't actually turn. I leaned over hard into the wind and th ebike kinda fell into a turn anyway, but not a tight enough one, and I almost ended up on the sidewalk on the far side of Thomas, but the wind let up just long enough to let me finish the turn.

When I got bakc to the apartment Tiny was all huddled up in the kitchen, hiding from the storm noises and thunder, which she is terrified of. :( She was super happy to see me, and it was a little hard to get the bike in the door cuz she didn't want to leave my side at all even to let me do that.

Once inside, water kept draining from the bike for a while, and eventually there was probably a gallon of water drained from various things on the bike onto the tile around the bike.

My orange rain slicker (which I'd put on as soon as I reached the bike path part, right after sprinkling had started) and helmet kept my top half dry, but I had not expected the rain and didn't have my firefighter pants with me to keep my legs dry, which were soaked and cold and all achey in my knees and ankles from that (still am, even this morning). I leave the slicker in the pods regardless just because it's very very thin and folds up really small--the FF pants take up 1/4 of a pod or more, so I don't carry them unless it's cool enough to just wear them to/from work on this extra-long commute (which it has not been for months, and probably won't be for a while yet) that is about 4x as long as my normal one from my house (which would allow me to wear them anyway without overheating).

No lasting effects from the rain, except the CFL for the taillight didn't work the next day, though it had been working fine when I turned it off after bringing it in the apartment. I jus treplaced the bulb with a spare, and will diagnose the old one later. .

Ride worked fine the next day after drying out overnight. Then i abused it some more yesterday by hauling a couple hundred pounds of dogfood (another >90% off sale at work) plus a 30lb litter refill, with the trailer, the 10 miles from work to the apartment. Was a little difficult; I forgot that I had not yet fixed the spring/polymer "pivot" in it's hitch, so the spring is the only thing supporting any weight that is on the hitch/tongue/bar. Had to carefully load it all up while mounted on the bike, during lunch at work (instead of actually getting to eat more than a couple bites), so it would be more balanced than I normally have to worry about.

With the extra load and the unfixed (and still off-center) hitch/mount, I couldn't safely go past about 15MPH, because it would shimmy the trailer and risk of loss of control was too great. Even at that speed it still used a little more pack capacity than it would normally take me at 20MPH cruise with just the bike, at about 12Ah to recharge it (vs the ~10Ah it normally takes).

But there were no adventures, except a couple of hte usual type of truck and car drivers that seem to enjoy always picking the narrowest possible place on the road to pass me, even when they had opportunity and encouragement to do so at the widest part. :roll: Even those caused no problems except that the on eon the way home southbound risked running over the leftside of the trailer because there wasn't really room for them to pass at that point, one of htem ending up riding up on the curb of the median along 31st Ave with his left wheels because he was too impatient to wait the half second it would take me to go around the too-wide parked trailer and truck that block the bike lane at that point.

The other one was a little farther north, on my way to work at midday, northbound, where 31st Ave is narrowed to an undivided/unmarked "one lane" road. There is a spot just before it widens back out into a divided two lane road where it is still one lane but is then divided double solid yellow no passing, and that is hte point at which cars just HAVE to pass me along that road at that area, even though they have a quarter mile to do so before they get there--they don't: they wait until they have a NO PASSING zone to do their passing. :roll: At least USUALLY they do it when there's no oncoming traffic, but very occasionally the southbound traffic has to brake to a stop to avvoid a head-on collision with them. :(

Another storm on the way home after posting yesterday. Nowhere near as bad as the one the other day, but winds were directly from the east so were completely across my path, trying to push me off the road in big gusts quite often for a couple of miles, right after I passed my house to south of Bethany Home. Mostly I managed to keep to my line by keeping an eye on treetops ahead, and when they bent I prepared to steer left against hte crosswind gust, which mostly worked ok. Same thing anytime I approached any opening in the houses/walls to my left (east), which would let the gusts thru at ground level even stronger.

I still almost lost it a couple times, but didn't quite. The worst one was of course as a car decided to go as fast as they possibly could past me at the narrowest part of the road, in a no- passing zone just before the four-way stop halfway between Glendale and Bethany Home. It's only a few carlengths long, but they HAD to get past me to the stop sign so they could skid thru the wet intersection after slamming on their brakes from probably 40-50MPH in the rain. :roll: They almost ended up in the yard of the house past the intersection, on the wrong side of the road. I coasted to a stop at the sign, waited for the cross traffic, then continued on past them and was almost half a mile down the road before they caught up and passed me again (at a slightly lesser speed, but still faster than the speed limit and certainly faster than was safe in that rain).

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to drive, at least until they have taken safe-driving courses and proven in real situations on a test course that they can actually handle the vehicle safely, and that they won't do anything stupid.

Or maybe they just shouldn't be allowed to drive at all.

Then there's the bicyclists--bunches of them were out riding, and I can't blame them for not wanting to be in the rain any longer than necessary, especially with those winds, but riding even faster than usual when braking distances are now much longer, and other traffic is being stupider too, is a recipe for disaster. I didn't see any actual collisions, but a number of them went down from crosswind gusts at intersections, a few while they were crossing against the light with traffic coming towards them. Others went down becuase they had to slam on brakes trying to do htat but not looking before they did, and suddenly realizing they were about to run a red light or fourway stop. But in the rain that was stupid, becuse even if their brakes could stop the tires, the tires couldn't stop the bike, and usually resulted in the bike going out from under them.

Some of them just rode right into things becuase of the wind pushing them around, and them already going too fast to have time to do anything about it, and riding too close to the parked cars (weaving in and out among them, usually), or on the sidewalk where there are signposts, utility poles, trashcans, pedestrians, etc).

Then there's the pedestrians, who whenever it gets like this seem to forget where the sidewalks are even more than usual, and wander around on the roads. Kids are not the worst at this but they're pretty bad, especialy when they're little (under 7 or 8 years old). It's the adults that are the worst--they just suddenly run off the sidewalk across the road, with cars coming right in front of htem. Then those cars try ot brake but thye can't slam on brakes or they'll skid on the wet oily road, and some of them actually know that. Other car drivers don't even try to stop but instead just swerve around the pedestrian into the oncoming traffic on the other side of the road, and THOSE have to slam on brakes or swerve onto sidewalks (or into parked cars, or the bike lane if there is one, etc., depending on how the road is setup and designed there).

I dind't have to deal wiht either of those things myself, but saw it a lot on the first few miles of the ride, until I passed Camelback after exiting the bike path that replaces 31st AVe there. Somewhere along that path I exited out from under the storm clouds, and though there was still wind the path and roads were now dry, not having been rained on yet. That lasted until I got home, which was ok. I was nice and cool since my pants had been soaked by the rain, and were cooling me off pretty well, given that the wind was now just hot air as I rode, and almost nonexistent when I had to stop.

I did have the rear-motor-always-partial-throttle problem again from water getting into something, but it was very minor and by the time I passed Indian School Road it had dried out enough to stop. So I suspect it's not inside the throttle itself, or the Tamer, but rather in a connector along the way, as those are more exposed to air (and water) and would dry a lot faster than the other two. Today's my day off so after breakfast/wifi I will be poking around in there and see if I can find and fix the issue, and do some more waterproofing as there will likely be more of these storms I'll have to ride thru soon. (possibly today, as I have to meet up with my boss from work at the bank to pick up the rest of the donated money from the store team and company, that I hadn't done yet back right after the housefire, and I also will be heading up to Bill's to borrow some parts off my trike for this bike (taillight, white LED light bars, etc), or maybe to haul the whole trike back to the apartment as spare transportation).

As a side note, several days ago I put a drop of superglue (I found a partly-used tube in a parking lot when I stopped to fix the cover again! :lol:) under the bevelled head of each screw on the rear motor's left cover, and tightened them all down as hard as I could. Since then, so far no loosening. But it has gone days without loosening before, so it could start again. For a more permanent fix, I will still need to get some loctite for the actual threads (didnt' wanna use the superglue in the threads, or I might not get them out again if I have to ever service the motor).

I'd like to get some longer allen-head cap screws instead, but to use them I'll also have to get thick or stiff flat washers big enough to go past the bevelled recesses in the cover for the existing philips screws.

Trip to Bill's was successful, and moved the LED motorcycle taillight over to CrazyBike2, replacing the CFL-in-Honda-incandescent-housing I'd used for at least a couple of years (maybe three?), with good success.

Sorry for the terrible pic; it's the bike from the back in a parking spot, with the celphone camera. I'll try to get better pics with the other phone, which is a lot better, once I get home. (posting from wifi at wendy's just north of Bill's, where I'm eating a free-with-coupon burger).
0829131641-00.jpg

Since the Honda housing also had the "license plate" light window in it's bottom, which I liked because it lit up the whole back end of the bike, and the road around it, I also moved over the white LED strip I'd used back there on the trike, under the MC LED taillight, to perform the same function. I don't know if it will work as well yet, cuz it's still only late afternoon and plenty bright outside despite the clouds.

Since I was moving things anyway, I also decided to flip the whole assembly (not quite as easy as it sounds) so it would be *above* the rear seat support crossbar, instead of below it. That does two things:

--it moves all of teh lights upward 8-10 inches, putting htem closer to where a typical car's light clusters would be level with, and even easier for drivers to see from tall vehicles.

--it makes the slow-moving-vehicle triangle sign fully visible, for whatever that is worth.

The white downlighting LED strip is secured to the bottom of the seat crossbar, shining down on the whole backend, as the CFL taillight's license-plate light used to do.

The MC LED taillight is above the bar, with the turn signals immediately to either side of it. I'd ideally like to stick them out further to the sides, but I don't want them wider than the seat frame just so I don't damage them if the bike has to be laid on it's side for roadside servicing (rare, but it does happen).

The turn signals themselves are the same ones as before, with the MR16 LED spotlights from Texaspyro in them instead of the incandescent automotive bulbs they're designed for. Much brighter this way, easier to see in daylight.

The brake light bar is still just above the taillight, but now it is recessed a bit under the top edge of the almost-black seat back, which makes it stand out more when it's engaged. The top of the taillight is white, and when engaged the brake light LEDs shine on that, too, making a larger apparent surface area for taller vehicles to see when they're closer than a few car lengths to me.

I also added the other white LED downlighting strip from the trike's frame to CrazyBike2's steering tie rod, so that it lights up the left side of the front of the bike and the road to my left (and a little of the right). Makes me more visible from the left, which is typically where cars pass me continuously when I'm in traffic. Probably won't change a thing about how they drive, except they *might* give me a little more space than they otherwise would. . Maybe. :/

Oh, and the main reason I'm replacing the CFL taillight is that I had the one bulb fail from dampness in the rain (it never got wet inside from what I can see of the outside), and I've had them break from the severe potholes I someitmes can't avoid. hard to carry spares, too, cuz they break even in their padded boxes, wrapped inside other padding, packed into my toolbox where stuff can't bounce around. A secondary reason is that the plastic housing of the Honda taillight has begun to split apart, which at almost 30 years old with lots of abuse before and after I got it isn't unexpected.

I could replace the housing with the other identical unit I'd used on the trike previously, since that was also at Bill's, but I decided to use the LED one partly to simplify stuff, so I could just run everyting back there off 12V, and not have to run any pack voltage back there at all, once I get the chance to do the complete rewiring I want (need!) to do.

Another detail: the MC LED taillight has both tail and brake light functions. But the taillight alone is kinda dim, so just as on the trike i wired it so it runs the brake light level instead (it doesn't have a way ot run just the brake light and not the tail, just the tail and not the brake, or I would have used the taillight as a slight brightening for braking in additoin to my separate brakelight bar).

PIcs from last night, still with the crappy camera on the phone. First set is on my house's carport, at dusk, around 7pm, just before I rode home the rest of the way. The next set is right after arrival at the apartment parking lot, at basically full dark about 40 minutes later (managed to get all the green lights, almost, for once).

Had to stop at my house for some parts and wire and stuff, to do some more rewiring work tomorrow on my day off, hopefully. Also grabbed some lengths of 1/2" square tubing to try to make reinforcements for the tail end of hte cargo pod rack, see if I can stop the bouncy wiggles it has from the potholes and bumpy roads, which are probably not doing any of the frame any good with all the flexing. I can't weld them on, but I can bolt them to existing bolt points, hopefully, and add a couple new ones for cross-braces behind the tire, as an X if I can manage it, but I think I'll need to weld to do an X. That will have to wait until I can get a few day s off in a row, which might be next month unless I get lucky.

So far the lights are all working great, but the extra front downlighting is a little night-blinding: too much of it is reflecting back up to me from the bike. So I am going to grab some plastic sheeting from my house and try to make a Kingfish-style handlebar "fairing", to block some of that light from getting to my eyes, and cover some of the wiring from rain and whatnot while I'm at it.

I'd already wrapped up all the connector points for everything yesterday, when I was doing the lighting changeover at Bill's, but a second layer of protection doesn't really hurt. :)

I had a strange problem on the wya to work today, where occasionally the rear controller would stop responding to throttle but it would still regen brake. I had to power cycle the bike to fix it each time, and eventually jus twiggled all the throttle connector points at the tamer, and that fixed it. I guess I must have a loose pin or wire there in my crimping. :(

Attachments

• 0829131906-01.jpg
    0829131906-01.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,447
  • 0829131906-02.jpg
    0829131906-02.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3,447
  • 0829131906-03.jpg
    0829131906-03.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,447
  • 0829131946-00.jpg
    0829131946-00.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 3,447
  • 0829131946-02.jpg
    0829131946-02.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 3,447
  • 0829131947-00.jpg
    0829131947-00.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 3,447
  • 0829131947-02.jpg
    0829131947-02.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 3,447
I got the bottom bar of the cargo pod rail cross bracing installed, but the screws I had to use (couldn't find the nuts for the bolts I wanted to use) are just "wood screws" and are not really good enough to tightly hold the bar in place against the vibrations it sees. So in my short :roll: 7 mile ride in search of wifi/food today, it's already halfway loose on the right end.

But it DOES significantly reduce the bouncing of the back end due to the cargo pods wiggling horizontally on big bumps--what would usually happen before is that the back bottom ends of the pods would attempt to dive at the bottom of a pothole arc, or on impact with a bump (like the many pressure ridges in the roads from cracks and braking/accelerating traffic pushing up strips of hot asphalt in summertime).. Then when they were restricted from further dive by the frame, the bottoms would pendulum toward each other, and hten that would rebound outward, etc etc., and the whole bike frame would basically be bounced by that, with it being worse the heavier my load is.

What this bottom brace does (which I forgot to get a pic of) is prevent the movement toward each other at the bottom. It doesn't stop side-to-side sway of the whole pod/rails unit, though, which happens on some pothole impacts becuase I don't usually hit htem square on, but rather an edge, jerking the back end of hte bike sideways a little one direction or the other, and the inertia of the pods means they move a little later and keep moving after the rest of the bike stops, etc.

To stop that I need a different design of pod rails, and for that I really need to do the welding. But basiclaly it would be an X crossbar from the rear tips of the top pod rails to the point they meet the main crossbar under the seat. Then another X vertically across the back ends of all the rails top and bottom. Can't do an X horizontally on the bottom rails cuz the rear wheel is there.

Now, once I put on that top X crossbar, I can't use anything except a 20" or smaller wheel, unless I move the dropouts down to compensate. Otherwise the two would be intersecting and the wheel wouldn't be able to spin. :lol:

I would REALLY like to redo the whole backend to add suspension, but it's not practical for this frame, and would be better to just finish the other frame I'd started nearly two years ago now--but I need to make swingarms for that, and figure out the chainline stuff, jackshaft, etc., for any rear suspension. I had hoped to find a motorcycle wheel I could use for that, but so far no luck on one small enough that I could either use my existing tires (which I don't have anymore after the fire; they were tossed out or disappeared in the cleanup, AFAICR). or that had road slicks on them already. I have some really good 20" rims from Ypedal now, if I could find a DOT-rated tire for would be perfect. (I dont' really care much how heavy the tire is, only that it basically be nearly impossible for me to get a flat with, and be able to take the punishment of these roads, with an excellent grip on the asphalt for cornering and braking).

Anyway....that's all about the bike for now.

Offtopic: My little ride today started out just to go use a coupon for a free 3piece chicken tenders at Carls' Jr., down Thomas just on the other side of Grand, maybe half a mile or so from the apartment, I guess.

Previously their wifi has not worked--one can detect it and connect to it, but there is no access to the internet from that point, and hte "login" pages won't even load unless you look at your wifi's properties and get the IP address, then go to the root IP of that group. Then it doesn't load fully, never allowing one to click the checkbox to agree to their terms so one can connect to the internet. Their little firewall/server has pages for several devices and browsers, and manually trying them all even on the android phone and multiple browsers old and new on the laptop still won't connect. I let them know about the problem via the company that supposedly supports their wifi, but the guy didnt' fix it; at first he told me I should try to get the food crew there to fix it, but it says specifically on the page I could get to load that that's not allowed and only these people (this guy) can / should fix it. :roll: He supposedly was going to then call that food crew himself to get them to fix it, but nothing happneed in the hours I was there before I gave up and went bakc to the apartment.

That was well over a month ago. I've been back several times past their place since then, and checked the wifi each time, with the exact same results each time. At one point I wrote a comment to Carl's Jr. about the problem in their "survey" about my visit there, partly to say that I won't be a customer there unless they fix that, and got an email back that they'd look into it. That was at least a couple weeks ago, and it still ain't fixed as of today when I went by. So I have decided not to bother ever trying to go to that one again, as there's not much point if they can't fix it in this long a time.

There's a few other food places in that little area, like Subway and some local stuff, but none of htem have wifi either. There are dozens of secured wifis in the area, many wiht 5bar signals, but that's of no use to me.

As I don't relaly yet know this area well yet, I decided to go for a ride around and see what else is here, within a few miles. Been doing that north of here but not much south. So I went south at 27th Ave and Grand, with my phone on the handlebars in it's holder, at the wifi screen, so I could stop and quickly check if a place even had wifi at all (many do without posting it anywhere, which seems strange not to advertise it).

Ther'es pretty much nothing but industrial stuff down 27th from Thomas to Mcdowell, and only a couple of very dirty-looking local places with no wifi at Mcdowell there, so I went east on Mccdowell to see what might be there. Almost nothing bu tmore industrial stuff along there, all the way to Central. There's a Jack in the Box, but no cars at all there, not even sure it was open, but no wifi at all from their parking lot except a 0-bar secured wifi.

Not gonna try to ride down Central or even 7th Ave, as people on those streets drive like idiots and madmen, and pedestrians are even stupider than at Metrocenter, just suddenly darting out into the street to run across with no warning of any kind. Between the two hazards i'd probably collide with SOMETHING along the way--better to avoid.

So I went back to 3rd Ave which has a bike lane (sonoran bike path, runs thru most of phoenix north/south, AFAICR), and took that up to Thomas. Went back west on Thomas to 15th Ave, finding nothing I could use. I found a KFC along the way, but their wifi was broken the same way as Carls' Jr on Thomas & 27th had been.

I was very hungry at this point, about an hour after I had started out from the apartment, and since I knew there were several places at Christown with wifi and food, I went up 15th Ave which while not free of idiots is at least fitted with a widish bike lane that most drivers don't use for passing people on the right. :roll:

Nearly uneventfully I made it to CT, and first passed the TacoBell/Pizzahut combo place, with no detectable wifi outside it. Nextdoor was KFC, also no wifi outside it, even right up at the windows, so almost certainly none inside either. Then Carl's Jr, which I wasnt' hopeful of, but I'd rather use my coupon there than go into the mall itself to the Mcdonalds (which I could have gotten just walking from the apartment if I'd been after that).

CJ actually did have working wifi, for a change. So I went in and ordered and here I am posting this. :)

Weather outside is still partly cloudy, but htere is a big anvil thunderhead forming to the northeast, coming this way. Wasnt' there at all when I sat down an hour ago, and is still a few miles away, but I think we might actually get this storm.

I think on my way home I'm gonna see if I can find that ACE hardware and buy some more 1/4-20 bolts and nuts in various lengths, as I'd rather keep using the same kind of hardware on everything on the bike rather than having the mishmash of random road-find stuff I have on there now. :lol:

Back