72v PSI leggo - X5304 Chopper

Well.. at this point in time.. i'm seriously considering my options

- Get 2 x 12 (edit: channel not V hehe) LVC boards from tppacks.com and charge via Single Cell chargers and the 5amp Soneil's ..

- Get Gary and Richard BMS and proper power supply

- Stick with VMS, tho after a 2nd deep discharge and a full recharge, the cell voltages are all over the place.... got the OVP beep as one cell was a 3.9v and the lowest one was a 3.45v.. i'm not all that impress with this thing right now.. needs more testing... but time for bed !

you mean two of gary's 12S LVC?

i think you should stick with it so we can see how they perform. maybe reconsider after 50 cycles, not yet.

how loud a ding does the bell make and is it continuous or just like a timer bell on the micro, one ring and it's finished?

you should do a thread on those dead 9C motors and what you learned about them too.

way to go Y 8)
not that i understand how it all works but still, kudos to you for figuring it all out and building your own :mrgreen:

D

> how loud a ding does the bell make and is it continuous or just like a timer bell on the micro, one ring and it's finished?

both, actually! :)

Over Voltage Protection:
Level 1: Over 3.9V±0.05V/cell
. a) Buzzer: 2sec on, 1sec off; repeats 3 times
Level 2: Over 4.1V±0.05V/cell
. a) Buzzer: 5sec on, 1sec off; repeats until over volt condition is released
. b) Overvoltage output signal changes to high after 2sec
. . Release condition: cells under 3.5V±0.05V
. . (then overvoltage signal changes to low after 2sec)
Level 3: Over 4.2V±0.05V/cell
. a) Record the condition on the error counter

there's more info on the performance of this BMS on this thread:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10282&start=30#p179549.

cheers!

Ok.. so after thinking about this whole VMS thing, ALOT, i'm ordering a 24 channel board from AndyH and the vms is not going on the chopper.. i'm not giving up on it but i want to get the chopper on the road NOW... and don't want to waste too much more time fiddling with the unknowns of the vms.

This weekend i start cutting lexan ! ( pictures to follow ! ) 8)

Ypedal said:
Ok.. so after thinking about this whole VMS thing, ALOT, i'm ordering a 24 channel board from AndyH and the vms is not going on the chopper.. i'm not giving up on it but i want to get the chopper on the road NOW... and don't want to waste too much more time fiddling with the unknowns of the vms.

This weekend i start cutting lexan ! ( pictures to follow ! ) 8)

have you gotten the "Strip Heater" yet and are we going to see it in action?

rick

48" strip heater on order.. waiting for delivery !

1 1106050 Craftics 48" 85-Watt Plastrip ... @ $50.00 each
2 1106016 Craftics Saber Saw Blades / 2 ... @ $4.70 each
1 1106531 Craftics Heavy Duty Plasticutt... @ $9.98 each
1 1107330 Clear Double Stick Tape 1/2"wi... @ $15.86 each

Most of my cuts for the chopper can be done flat, no bending required for now.. but the strip heater will come in handy !

Karma! What do you use to cement the joints of Lexan?
otherDoc

I've used IPS#3 with good results. not being rich enough to afford any of the thicker glues that can fill a void as well as the thin stuff i cheat a little.

i take all of the clean shavings and small pieces of off-cuts from lexan and put them in a glass jar. i cover them with some of the #3 glue. close the jar tightly and after a day or so give it a stir. the little pastic bits will be dissolved and will thicken up the glue so it can fill small voids.

rick

karma said:
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lexan_Polycarbonate_Glue

http://www.sdplastics.com/weldon.html

cheers :wink:

Duh! I got a tube on my workbench of IPS# 16. Thanks Karma!
otherDoc

Cut panels for the 12v PSI packs, even tho this will be a 24S pack i want each 4 cells seperatly bundled.

Table saws rule, but Daaaaamn dangerous ! :shock: I'm past the " afraid " level, i'm now " extreemly cautious " .. had one piece nudge the side of the blade, go flying in the air, land back onto the blade and shoot across the garage cauthing the end of my middle finger, methods would have been proud !

Attachments

• lexan2.JPG
    lexan2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,745
The white template is the opening inside the chopper frame, so far so good, the pack will be wide but since the chopper has no pedals or chain.. it will be just fine !

Some of the lexan panels installed, i'm leaving the middle vertical one's out so i can use the brass tabs between the packs 1/2 and 3/4/5, those 2 sections will be joined with big thick copper straps.

Today i finally made my bus bars to hook up the 12v packs for 72v.

I had some copper bars left over from my original order from PSI, they don't fit the lego cubes so i made use of them.. double thick copper on one end, double 12g wire on the other side..

Attachments

• BMS-busbar.JPG
    BMS-busbar.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,376
Some observations, The 3x soneil 24v 5amp chargers i have plugged in series provide 83.7v peak ( / 24 = ~3.48v per cell ) just enough to make one channel blink orange for a split second before the current tappers off to nothing. The main LED stays red and never goes to green.

I added a single cell 2 amp charger in series with that and then i get a whole lot of blinking going on, very cool to look at ! :p and i get 87.6v and that gives 3.6x v per cell and almost all channels blink until 87.6v the current stops again and all the channels turn off with the main LED still on red.

Bottom line is that the pack is basically fully charged, and does ballance while the BMS prevents any single from going over 3.7v nicely..

so far so good ! ( I took a video of the BMS in action, will load later )

Back