72v PSI leggo - X5304 Chopper

Thanks !!

The chopper has been done a few times over but not yet the way i always wanted to be.. almost there tho !

Over the weekend ( after painting the whole damn house.. man i hate painting.. ) i cut the side panels... looks blurry because one of the peel away layers is still on there, removed the white side of the polycarbonate to see the lego block holes and pre-drill them.

Attachments

• panel-right.JPG
    panel-right.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,140
Lol.. absolutely ! likely tomorrow if weather permits !

Nothing i hate more than making all the wires nice and tidy.. then find a problem that requires cutting all the nice shrink tubing etc.. then wires end up too short by 1/2" :evil: .. so yeah, good idea on the dozen pre-rides ! :mrgreen:

Gaston - absolutely beautiful! Can't wait to see the video. :D

Man...it finally got chilly here in S Texas - 38ºF/3ºC this afternoon. I don't even want to go into the garage, much less ride. I think I've lost my Lake Superior blood. :( When will you need snow tires, Gaston?

Fantastic ebike!
Besides the lexan covers, front and rear fenders are a must to further shield your batt case and you from the elements.

Ok.. so the day after my test ride we got 20 cm of snow.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

So for the last while i've been testing the battery/BMS indoors. On Christmas morning i made myself a cup of coffee and put the pack on charge, i did notice that cell no.24 was not lighting up the LED's and the pack kept trying to ballance.. i checked with my dvm via the BMS and was showing 3.6xx volts so figured the cell was full but just not quite up to tripping the green light.. fine.. disconnected and plugged in the lighbulbs.

Went next door to plug in the neighbor's new Wii and came back home to 7ah showing on the CA. 70% DOD.. good. put the charger back on. and well... that last LED just would not light up.... then i decided to dig deeper.. checking the ballance wires directly something was obviously wrong... :| :| :| ie: cell 24 at 0.004 volts !!! :shock:

Thank god this is the top cell on pack 6 and easy to get at.. pulled the lexan panel off the top and sides, loosened up the nuts on the left side, pulled the leggo blocks off the non-hot glue side of the pack, and dropped in a new cell.

Looking at the dead cell i can smell electrolyte and a small ooze of liquid near the - terminal.

I can't yet explain what caused this, but am investigating...

Alrighty... done some more testing and have info to report.

Since replacing the dead cell, cycling the entire pack a dozen times to 25~50% dod..

- If i leave the BMS plugged in with the ballance leads and the + and - leads hooked up to the pack, cell no.24 gets drained significantly ( like 1 ah over 48 hrs )

- If i leave the ballance leads plugged in but not the + and - everything is ok.

Something strange i've observed is that chanel 24 will start to flicker faintly when the pack is just starting to ballance but cell 24 is still at the 3.4xx volts, the other chanels only start to flicker when cells get to 3.6xx volts

I checked resistance of all chanels ( BMS not connected to pack ) and get 250k on all 24 ( This is version 2.3 of the board btw )

When charging with the BMS i am using a combination of a 48v power supply and a 36v LFP charger in series, the lfp charger limits current to 2 amps and total voltage of them in series gives 96v, if i boost cell 24 with a single cell charger the BMS will go on green and shut down as expected.

sooo.. that's where i'm at. any ideas ?

Back