A123 20AH cells source?

a123RC... are real?

"TEL : 400-1234-567"

"A123RC@HOTMIAL.COM"

:?

jimw1960 said:
webfootguy said:
These cells look interesting and with A123 winning more contracts, these cells are bound to start showing up more places. I also got a quote from OSN for $45 for 5 sample units but fedex shipping was high at $48. I looked around and found this link:

http://www.a123rc.com/goods-468-Excitingly+Powerful+A+123+PRISMATIC+CELLS.html

The same cells for $40.99 with free shipping (I opted to pay $1.50 extra for package tracking).
I bought a couple for testing. More after they arrive.

Phil

Do you mean $50.99? Or did the price go up $10.

The price was $40.99 when I submitted my order via paypal (with free shipping) so the price has gone up. I was not sure if I should post the link since this could be a fake site and no cells will ever be shipped (hope paypal will protect me), but I did anyway to let others who also want to take the risk get in on it. This website has private registration so I don't know who owns the site. My order(s) status shows as "preparing" and "unshipped" (was "preparing"). So it looks like they will be shipped shortly (I'm hoping).

I've learned long ago that when sites advertise a good price, it never pays to hesitate. Are these factory fresh with capacity and IR on the labeling as genuine cells are supposed to have? I won't know until they arrive. I will test the heck out of them.

paypal is our best friend here, good protection for the buyer,

ive been exchanging emails with ray from a123rc:

We will send you this sample within 3 working days, when you get it and test this cell goes well, then we will talk about the further offer. After we send out your package, we will infom you the tracking number accordingly.
Best regards
A123rc
28/03/2011
hi ray, yep, thats correct, it will be good to see how this goes, as its just a sample to go for a much bigger order, can you match your older price of $41 each for orders over $1000? thanks
To a123rc@hotmail.com

-everything appears to be in order here.

Let's see how he responds to other increments of $500 to $1000 amounts. I'll bet we could get a decent group buy going here.
Maybe premature, but I'd start thinking of that. Combining a couple or three forums worth, maybe get a $10K order going.

lesdit said:
Let's see how he responds to other increments of $500 to $1000 amounts. I'll bet we could get a decent group buy going here.
Maybe premature, but I'd start thinking of that. Combining a couple or three forums worth, maybe get a $10K order going.

I'm wanting to get a bunch of these cells to build a few trial packs. I'd be interested to see what kind of deal they would cut on an order of 500 or more cells. However, I've watched a few attempts at group buys go on through these forums and more often than not, things don't turn out so well. One thing to consider for such a large order, is that fast air shipping via fedex is not an option for large shipments. Sea freight will have to clear customs which will mean you have to pay duty on the cells, plus a freight forwarding fee (unless someone drives to the port to pick it up). A single person has to coordinate all that and then send out all the cells to the participants. I'm going to look into shipping options for large orders and will let you know what I find out.

I also ordered one from the A123RC shop just now for 52.49 USD with tracking. If anybody gets theirs, please report.

I checked with OSN power. Cells are only $45 but shipping by Fedex will add $5.52 per cell cost, so really about the same as the deal A123RC is currently offering with free shipping. I'm trying to find out if there are any cheaper shipping options by sea for a large order. Has anyone else ordered from OSN and received cells yet?

Is that shipping cost from OSN constant no matter how many cells you buy? Or does it go down with certain size orders?

That was for 100 cells, an estimated 65kg package with all packing materials, shipped to your door via Fedex. You could save going by sea freight if you have a really large order, I'm still checking on the details of how to do that.

lesdit said:
I am so down with that!!! ill have around $2k to invest in A123 LiFePO4 (M1 or prismatic pouch) in july-ish. real A123 are so hard to find! dont even try ebay!
I will throw some serious coin @ you if you have a stable supply of these things. listen to me! i sound like im trying to arrange a drug deal lol! you got the stuff? you got the money? I aint showin a dime till i see the stuff! I aint showin a (cell) till i see the money! lol
PS that company you mention on page 1... FAKE!! check the ANR026650 cell. they show a legit picture and a fake. right now im in a mood where if David Vieau didnt hand them to me i wouldnt believe they were real. ONE LOVE TO A123 and all their customers!

Attachments

• A123_26650_Pirate_cell_report.pdf
    390.9 KB · Views: 178
I think he is refering to this image.
2010052717075830.jpg

A123's piracy report refers to any cells that have a bar-code underneath the A123 name are fakes.

I recommend anyone who ordered batteries from OSN power should check their cells extra close.

It could be they just have a terrible PR department (big surprise) and they happened to just grab an image from Google search and slap their name on it.

They did after-all quote the nominal voltage of a123's cells as 3.2V rather than 3.3V

DOMEPEACE said:
PS that company you mention on page 1... FAKE!! check the ANR026650 cell. they show a legit picture and a fake.

Well, the "fake" they talk about in the report are not completely fake non-A123 cells, but "B" grade A123 cells with new tube sold as if they where A grade.

Now what is wrong with B cells besides having no warranty - which is not a big deal, I buy mostly everything without warranty, as I found it statistically much cheaper just to sometimes replace the thing if it goes bad (and most of time time it doesn't), then to pay a premium for warranty.

If B grade A123 26650 cells without warranty can be bought for about 7$ a piece and real A grade cells for about 14$, is it worth paying about twice as much? Will I be able to push twice as much kWh through the cell during its lifetime? I don't think so. Did anyone did an evaluation of total lifetime kWh pushed in-out through the cell of an A grade and B grade cell? If not, maybe I take several of each and put them in a circuit that continuously charges and discharges them with 5A every 15 minutes, and measures Ah of current pulled out of the cell at each cycle and do that until the cells fail and sum up the Ah. Provided they fail around 3000 cycles, that only takes about 31 days. Would be a nice test to really measure is it cheaper per kWh to buy the A or the B cell.

miernik said:
DOMEPEACE said:
PS that company you mention on page 1... FAKE!! check the ANR026650 cell. they show a legit picture and a fake.

Well, the "fake" they talk about in the report are not completely fake non-A123 cells, but "B" grade A123 cells with new tube sold as if they where A grade.

Now what is wrong with B cells besides having no warranty?
first off B-grade cells do not meet quality control standards, and therefore technically cannot be called an A123 systems battery. that means they are not the dope-dopeness that A123 is responsible for, and not the object of (my) current technolust. second, i remember the pirate cell report claiming all re-wrapped cells are fakes, though i could be reading inbetween the lines. if i had the dopest battery tech in the world id want it in big F***in letters this is MY(A123) battery! and i wouldnt bother with re-wrapping a cell that didnt even get my OK. in personal opinion(plz dont hate on me mods i read the rules) though these chinese "A123" cells may look and perform to similar specs, they did not get OK by A123 nor are they tested under A123 QC, and are therefore hurting the success of A123 systems, and that is something i would never fund.
in a scentence: Its a love affair. either you are down to get something you can gloat and wear a cloud for a hat with, or you can give your money to a company that could one day revolutionize transportation, and i think i speak for everyone on ES forums that its high-time we had some DECENT ELECTRIC VEHICLES!
as far as these being legit or not? its possible, im not gonna deny possibility, is it probable? no, I highly doubt it. pour over A123's website, attempt to contact sales with your inquiry, and you will see what i mean.

Guys, do not trust anybody or companys which says it can sale A123 cells.
It is impossible since A123 does not sale any cell to such small company or agent.
That is why it is difficult to find A123 real new cell in the market.
All the person or other company saling A123 cells is fake.

Their cells are made from LiFeO4 but is not real A123 cells.

Simon-Z said:
Guys, do not trust anybody or companys which says it can sale A123 cells.
It is impossible since A123 does not sale any cell to such small company or agent.

Their cells are made from LiFeO4 but is not real A123 cells.
word up to you simon-z your first post and your smarter than 1/4-1/2 of a123 fans! finally someone who does their homework! look to kill all of our hopes and have fanboys hanging themselves, the only way to obtain A123 cells is to have a company in need of 100kw of batteries or more. they no longer do low volume sales. this is due to production costs ($1/wh). unless they can quadruple production capacity and make costs less than ($.20/wh), so basicaly grow by a factor of 16 then we will never see A123's on the shelf! OR THERE IS ANOTHER WAY!! own a 2002-2009 toyota prius and get the "hymotion" conversion. it is a 5kw battery that goes in your spare tire compartment. this 5kwh battery will give you 30-40mi on full electric. cost? a whopping $12k! $12k for 5kwh? hell id rather run of alkaline @ that price! so unless we fanboys spread the word and get ppl with money to buy their shit, A123 is a goner... all of this information is assumed using real data factors from assorted google searches, A123 systems history and full bio(wikipedia is a good place to start), and the investor relations webpage of A123 systems that can be found here: http://ir.a123systems.com/

what does all this mean? at the very least we should try to get sales to their company, maybe it would be possible to gather all potential A123 customers on ES forums with cash in hand, and give them the high volume sale they are asking for. my bets are $100k+ and they won't refuse, regardless.

Simon-Z said:

What about the cells sold by sellers tobishop123 and dasgutegeschaeft on ebay.de?

Did anybody buy from them?

At least on photos they look more like the real A grade cells from the PDF report. And they cost over twice as much as most others on eBay.

miernik said:
Simon-Z said:

What about the cells sold by sellers tobishop123 and dasgutegeschaeft on ebay.de?

Did anybody buy from them?

At least on photos they look more like the real A grade cells from the PDF report. And they cost over twice as much as most others on eBay.

havin trouble finding sellers, could you provide a link?

DOMEPEACE said:
or you can give your money to a company that could one day revolutionize transportation
And if they would take our money, they would have us lined up outside their door in a second. That's the problem; short of a sponsorship or a multi-million-dollar deal, there is no way to get new, legitimate, A123 cells of any type (iirc, DeWalt switched cell providers for their XPR packs, yes?). [EDIT]I know about the Prius packs, but I have never seen anywhere that someone could buy one, regardless of cost.[/EDIT] You can go on about consumer morals and whatnot all you want, but at the end of the day, as long as they refuse to provide a way for us to buy official cells, I have absolutely no problems with supporting the people selling B-grade/backdoor/etc cells. If you want >10C LiFePO4, A123 is (I believe) the only game in town, so B-grade cells or backdoor deal cells are better than no cells. If this 20Ah prismatic source does pan out, they're probably either factory back-door deals or one of the big companies that got a contract with A123 recently ordering extras and selling them at a profit.

Re A123 being in any danger, I don't believe it for a second. Check out their news page on their website; they have in the last year or so won a bunch of huge contracts...contracts that make anything all the hobbyists you could find, put together, look tiny in comparison. Don't misunderstand my complaining above; I completely understand why they have the business practices that they do....it just frustrates the hell out of me... So for now at least, I'm using HobbyKing LiPo. Because they have one very important thing that A123 doesn't; I can give them money, and in exchange, they give me a product.

DOMEPEACE said:
havin trouble finding sellers, could you provide a link?

http://stores.ebay.de/tobishop123/_i.html?_nkw=A123
http://stores.ebay.de/Das-Gute-Geschaft/_i.html?_nkw=A123

x88x said:
DOMEPEACE said:
or you can give your money to a company that could one day revolutionize transportation
And if they would take our money, they would have us lined up outside their door in a second. That's the problem; short of a sponsorship or a multi-million-dollar deal, there is no way to get new, legitimate, A123 cells of any type (iirc, DeWalt switched cell providers for their XPR packs, yes?). [EDIT]I know about the Prius packs, but I have never seen anywhere that someone could buy one, regardless of cost.[/EDIT] You can go on about consumer morals and whatnot all you want, but at the end of the day, as long as they refuse to provide a way for us to buy official cells, I have absolutely no problems with supporting the people selling B-grade/backdoor/etc cells. If you want >10C LiFePO4, A123 is (I believe) the only game in town, so B-grade cells or backdoor deal cells are better than no cells. If this 20Ah prismatic source does pan out, they're probably either factory back-door deals or one of the big companies that got a contract with A123 recently ordering extras and selling them at a profit.

Re A123 being in any danger, I don't believe it for a second. Check out their news page on their website; they have in the last year or so won a bunch of huge contracts...contracts that make anything all the hobbyists you could find, put together, look tiny in comparison. Don't misunderstand my complaining above; I completely understand why they have the business practices that they do....it just frustrates the hell out of me... So for now at least, I'm using HobbyKing LiPo. Because they have one very important thing that A123 doesn't; I can give them money, and in exchange, they give me a product.
no dude for real i feel your pain! i have to go with the turnigy nano-tech because of what A123 is doing. i would pawn my grandmother for some legit M1 cells! I know about the chile contract, but thats the only massive one. and when you run a company that massive money freakin evaporates! if they dont get at least one of those every year for the next 5 years, you will never be able to go to walgreens and get some A123 "AA's". A123 systems has the all around best battery technology on the planet right now, and I personally would like to see it replace alkaline, SLA, MFLA, NI-xx, LIxx, etc... but that wont happen in this economy with anything short of a miracle. I say we start a topic here on ES with FB links (y'know all the social sites) to get ppl who want to purchase A123 cells together, and give them the massive purchase order they are looking for! this time next year we will know if A123 is here to stay or not.

oh and about the EBAY sellers. the first one i wouldn't trust(more mixed real/fake images) the second one might be legit. if they are legit then they are previosly ordered and are basically backstock. I wonder if these cells are still manufactured or not.

Looking at the A123 stock price, it looks like it has been crashing since it went public a year and a half ago at $20/share. Today they just announced a secondary stock offering of 18M shares at $6/sh, and all-time low. It doesn't make sense that they have such a great product that thousands of people want to buy, but all they do is lose money. This company needs new leadership.

jimw1960 said:
Looking at the A123 stock price, it looks like it has been crashing since it went public a year and a half ago at $20/share. Today they just announced a secondary stock offering of 18M shares at $6/sh, and all-time low. It doesn't make sense that they have such a great product that thousands of people want to buy, but all they do is lose money. This company needs new leadership.
All the alt-energy sector is hit, not just A123. I'll just buy more and gather rosebuds in a few years.

TylerDurden said:
jimw1960 said:
All the alt-energy sector is hit, not just A123. I'll just buy more and gather rosebuds in a few years.

Looking at their financial statements, it seems to boil down to the fact that they are selling cells for much less than they cost to make. Last year they sold $74M worth of product that cost them $94M to make. Doesn't bode well for getting the cost of cells to come down in the near future. Maybe their recent capacity expansion will help.

Xrain said:
I think he is refering to this image.
2010052717075830.jpg

A123's piracy report refers to any cells that have a bar-code underneath the A123 name are fakes.

I recommend anyone who ordered batteries from OSN power should check their cells extra close.

It could be they just have a terrible PR department (big surprise) and they happened to just grab an image from Google search and slap their name on it.

They did after-all quote the nominal voltage of a123's cells as 3.2V rather than 3.3V

I asked the OSN Power rep about the pictured cells being fake. I also asked if they have any affiliation with A123rc.com. Here is the response I got:

"We don’t manufacture the A123 cells. All the A123 cells that we sell are ORIGINAL, sourced from the original A123 OEM factory directly. A123 20Ah are manufactured in Korea.
The 26650 cells on the link are also real, not conterfite. There is one way to know the authenticity of the A123 26650. After peeling the PVC sleeve of an original A123 26650, you can see the laser print of A123 mark and the series number. Please check the attached picture.
A123 RC is one of our distributor.
Of course you can buy some small quantity samples to check frirst.
Thank you!"

a123 needs to license their technology to others for a reasonable fee.
There is also an American university that has something to do with the rights/patent as well.
I hate it when my tax dollars go to research and then they hold back the results to make money.
The hobyyists on these forums are nothing compared to the sales they need.

I'm hoping for a group buy, if we can find a back door source.

Back