• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Aprilia Enjoy

tonyontopofabighill said:
29.6 Volts
The 94 C is only right at the end of the ride up my very big hill and after the bike is stopped and left to sit for a couple of minutes. On most of the ride the temperature is only about 40C and only after it has warmed up after a few klms.

29.6V is not much...and i have see an original engine powered with 36V withouth problems...
are you sure that the grease is sufficient and that the motor and gears are well lubricated?
i have a similar issue 1 years ago and my bike was totally without grease..

Its not the volts, but the Amps ( & poor efficiency) that generate the heat.
Do you know what current you have been using tony ?..still the 30A max on that chinese controller ?
A high current/Temperature would suggest that maybe your revised gearing is not well suited to that hill of yours !
I have been running 40+ volts and 30 A (max) for several years and the motor has never been more than "hot " to the hand ( 50 C ?)
I live on a 10-15% hill also.

G'day HH,

Yes I am still running the 30A chinese controller and possibly the new gearing has made the motor "rev" a bit higher but I am convinced it is the hill that is the problem. This morning I went out at 6.30am and the ambient temp was 6C. I rode for about 30 mins with average sized hills but mainly flat cycleway next to the beach. The temp never got above 18C until I started to rise up from the beach towards home. When I got to the bottom of my really big hill it had gone up to 23C. I got off then and walked it (with motor on idle to assist) up the hill and home. It is not that long of a hill it is just the steepest hill in the area.
Anyway when I put the bike in the shed the motor was just hot ( 40C) but okay to put my hand onto. This is a far cry from riding it up the hill which really makes it way too hot to touch.
So from now on this is what I will do and I reckon I will be right. I have checked this particular motor/gearbox and it has plenty of grease in it. I put some new grease in it a while back.
I wished Sam would have looked at the Bofeilli brushless motor but I know he has got other projects on the go. I haven't got the mechanical skills to do that sort of thing myself.
I can see me buying an Optibike down the track when finances allow it. I know they are illegal on the cycleways here in Australia but since when has anybody been stopped by the police on a cycleway to check the wattage of an electric bike? The stealth fighter is not an option for me as they look too "mean" for the cycleway scenario.
I do love the Aprilia though and hope I can keep riding every day with no more burnt motors.

Heya Tony,
it could be that the heat in the case melted the windings after stopping. After climbing that hill of yours it might've been a good idea to keep things moving awhile to move the heat about. The hubmotor guys often spray new insulation inside - might help. Your winder may have not used the best enamel wire? Some ATF fluid inside would make it bombproof but not sure if that is doable with that motor inverted.

I'm avoiding the Bofeili drive as Bioplanet seem to be having issues with their units. After riding Full-throttle's GNG drive at stock 1kW and seeing what Adam Mercier's can do at 4kW on youtube, I think that drive stock might suit your hill and my desire to climb mullock hills here in the bush like a mountain goat when the belt drive is upgraded.
Huge thread but the first page is a good summary http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42785&start=2025

There is a new mid-drive hotness in the wind also. Top secret.
But the GNG would be a cheap solution for you. And keep the Aprilia for that museum piece - it's still good for 90% of applications.

I've prob got a spare motor if that helps. Need to check...

G'day Sam,

Thanks for all that handy info. I have had tunnel vision for a while now and haven't looked outside the square so you have given me something to look at.
I think the winding crrowd would have used the good wire etc as the auto electrician is a mate and he will only use that particular company for rewinding motors. The inside had been painted with varnish or whatever that stuff is they use.

By the way I would DEFINITELY buy an Aprilia motor off you if you have got one. Thanks for the good oil on the Bofeili.

Cheers mate,
Tony.

Gday Ken, got another sensor for you. Will pm you in the morning.

Tony- I have a motor here mate, will pm you too. Don't want to see your bike sit. Even if you sell it on at least someone will 'Enjoy' it :wink:

Gonna clear out a bit of my spares and just keep the black bike. Rebuild an sell the silver one.
Too many projects and too much around the house that needs doing. :roll:

Cheers,
Sam.

Hi All,

Here is my Aprilia finally finished with the new mods.

The first thing I did was to fit the Nuvinci hub onto a new velocity rim with a Schwalbe Marathon tyre.
I then fitted a Surly Singleator chain tensioner ( if you do this do not forget to buy an 18mm cone spanner with it because you cannot fit it without one).
I started with a 16 tooth rear sprocket on the Nuvinci hub but this gearing was way too high. It was fantastic on the flat but no good for big hills. I then went to a 20 tooth rear sprocket and this is spot on! The Nuvinci hub is a delight to use, it is so smooth and is very quiet on the go and there is no noise when changing gears.
The front forks have been replaced with Rockshox XC28 units. These shocks were only $149 so are entry level shocks but better than the originals.
I have fitted front and rear shimano hydraulic brakes and they really do work a treat compared to the original v-brakes.
The electric motor has been rewound and seems quite strong . It makes more noise since the rewind so it sounds more powerful than before (wishful thinking most probably)
Of course the original controller has been replaced with the chinese replacement as well as 3 Turnigy Lipo batteries giving me 17.6 amp hours of battery life .I charge the batteries up to 32.8 volts (Lilo aetting) and so far they have been used nearly every day for about 18 months. I only balance charge them about once a month.
There is a twist throttle for the power and no PAS on this this bad boy.

So there it is, another Aprilia Enjoy that has been modified.
Please excuse the paint job and decals but I do love the Ducati/Aprilia motorcycle look.

Cheers,
Tony.
Hey Tony, love the paint job mate :)

Gday Tony, motor is all packed up. Test video below. I couldnt find the main nuts so youll see some funny ones in the vid. Youll need to pinch the ones off your old motor and check the bolts are in the right holes.
Yep those are hand soldered lipos from mobile phones :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS40-KdGSJY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ken, your sensor is despatched too.

I also took some photos of the torque sensor and how it works, will post tomorrow.

Went through my parts box tonight. I have two controllers and some replacement brake levers if anyone needs them. Controllers should be ok but missing a plug or two. Easy to just use the plugs off your old one. Happy to sit on them but would rather see someone on the road instead...

After Ken's torque sensor went AWOL last time I'm taking no chances mate.

Cheers.

Not exactly a bargain at $1500 without a working battery, but looks almost brand new.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lane-cove/bicycles/aprilia-electric-bike/1020977979

Hey Tony the disc brakes look great,
Thanks for the tip on gear changes , Samd I think. Bike is going great
Glen

Thanks Glen,

The disc brakes , Rockshox front forks, Nuvinci hub and electrical conversion make for a very nice little bike to ride. It is very smooth and quiet (apart from motor whine) and I look forward to riding it every morning, I am getting off and walking up the steepest part of my big hill so the temperature doesn't go too high and all seems sustainable doing that.
How is your bike going?

Cheers,
Tony

Nice pic Tony - yours?

Like the double crown forks, lower DH handlebars and a BMX stem would look ace...

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=YKMMSBAHnCnhxM&tbnid=cnWfMAKwF4v5fM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jobike.it%2Fforum%2Ftopic.asp%3FTOPIC_ID%3D702%26whichpage%3D7&ei=nMbDUaX4CdDrlAX9xIDQCQ&bvm=bv.48293060,d.dGI&psig=AFQjCNFvZyffI9fYxCXDfEpS9Myy__CdMg&ust=1371871256067019

Is that a rear shock I can see ????????

Bugger me. It IS a rear shock.

He's drilled and pinned between the two rear swing arms for the rear shock mount.
Not sure what he's done for the front pivot bearings.
I've got a stripped back frame in the shed. Gonna take a look tonight at what location might suit.

Not sure what he has on the top end of the motor.

Bike would look brilliant with some 660 mm wide downhill bars and a BMX stem.

Another one for sale in Sydney for $1500
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aprilia-Enjoy-City-Electric-Bike-6-Gear-250W-Commutator-Motor-24v-13Ah-Battery-/251292569398?pt=AU_PocketBikes&hash=item3a82344f36&_uhb=1

I had noticed that the temperature had gotten up to 94 C just before it started to smoke.
Inside will be hotter still. Heating power = current squared x resistance so to reduce heat you reduce motor resistance or motor current.
I am going back to plan A of NOT riding up my big hill and then I think it will last for quite a while. It will give me a bit more leg exercise as well.
Wrecking motors is undesirable but a major reason for having a motor is to get up hills so it is a pity to give up. If you can reduce the motor current sufficiently and add sufficient pedal power to get you up the hill it would be OK.
I don't think you guys should use my experience too much as a guide unless you have to ride up a "killer" hill like me, especially at the end of an hours' ride.
I regard your experience as the best guide I've got and think you have demonstrated the limits but without sufficient instrumentation for precision. I have the same controller and have measured it as limited to 34.5 amps. I plan to reduce this limit. Based on your experience I try not to use max power at low speed for more than a few seconds and ride in the lowest practical gear when using full power. When the motor spins faster, current is reduced by back emf rather than the controller limit. With my set-up I think (not sure because I need better instrumentation) that occurs from about 13 km/h and on most Aprilia configurations it should be slower.

I suspect most people are OK because, with the ultra low 34 tooth megarange sprocket, they don't travel slow enough at full power to run into problems. Despite having their controller current limits too high, they are saved by the back emf from over current rather than the controller current limit.
ikxdf said:
29.6V is not much...and i have see an original engine powered with 36V withouth problems...
Higher voltage raises the speed at which back emf reduces your current but it doesn't increase maximum current because that is limited by the controller.
Samd said:
Heya Tony,
it could be that the heat in the case melted the windings after stopping. After climbing that hill of yours it might've been a good idea to keep things moving awhile to move the heat about.
The insulation was cooking while riding because heat is generated in the windings and dispersed to the casing. Therefore, maximum winding temperature is greater than casing temperature and occurs while powering.
Those colours are my doing Ken. I used KRYTON plastic paint aerosols and white pin striping. I used to ride a Ducati Pantah with these colours.
Looks nice in the photos.
Samd said:
Gday Ken, got another sensor for you. Will pm you in the morning.
Already turned up and I sent some funds for postage. Thanks Sam. I've got to figure out how to use it now. I think it must have an amplifier which I supply with 12volts. This is probably under the blue tape but I'm wondering if there was any electronics in the plug in the bottom of the gearbox? If I just connect 12 volts to it without being sure I could wreck whatever is under that blue tape.
Samd said:
Went through my parts box tonight. I have two controllers ... if anyone needs them.
I'd like a controller, if available. I would destroy the electronics to salvage the black metal cover in which I mount the alternative controller. It would be useful because I've had the old one on and off so many times the thread where the plastic covers bolt on is wearing out. I've also broken the flip up battery cover under the front of the seat through catching it with my boot when getting on if you've got one on offer.
No, not mine, I found it on Google images. Handlebars look a bit like Harley ape hangers.
Looks too much like a motor bike for me. I've been modifying in the opposite direction. I've had the solid front fork for a while now and like it. As well as being lighter it has stopped the bouncing when pedalling hard up hills.

I've also got a little data on my quest for longer distance travel. Over 37 km with an average speed of 27.9 km/h I used 6.4 Wh/km. The speed is high enough for a group ride and the energy consumption is low but it's not low enough with the current battery capacity, which is nominally 9.2 Ah and which I've measured as 7.7 Ah, for an 80 km ride. My own contribution is less than it would have been on an unpowered bike and while I'm 'getting better, its psychologically difficult to put in the effort when a slight movement of the thumb can produce the same result without any pain.

G'day Ken,

There is a controller on ebay at the moment .Just type in Aprilia enjoy controller and you will get it. I would put the link on but ebay is not opening up for me this morning. Thanks for the kind words re my colour scheme.
Cheers,
Tony.

The Aprilia definitely looks better with the disc brakes, I will have to do that mod to mine when I get around to it (have to complete a few other e-bike builds first, including the Electra).

That other Aprilia with the rear suspension was on the Itallian site and there were a few pics of how he did the conversion.

G'day Ken,
There is a controller on ebay at the moment .Just type in Aprilia enjoy controller and you will get it.
There doesn't seem to be an Aprilia Enjoy related item for sale anywhere on the planet that you don't know about. I reckon the seller is Samd as it's in Ballarat and includes a favourite Samd statement "it is time to clean out the shed".
jateureka said:
The Aprilia definitely looks better with the disc brakes...
If that's in response to my enthusiasm for solid forks, they are not exclusive. The Mosso solid forks I bought had disc brake mounts.

Back