Astroflight new products

motomoto

1 kW
I just wanted to let you guys know that Astroflight has a new controller out and the big motor that Matt Shumaker kept promising us.

http://www.astroflight.com/new-products.html

And at 4500 bux for the motor and esc it's quite the ebike deal! I have to say though a 15k watt mid drive would/could/should be pretty awesome and most probably be described in one word as "violent!"

Tom

Looks very nice. 4535 is Seven inches wide. Too wide to mount near a crank unfortunately. Hopefully some more compact models this diameter are coming.
4535-1.jpg

Ahhgh! You beat me to it. Standard shaft is 12.7mm diameter (1/2-inch), but 12mm is available on request. What is the diameter and length? and what is the kV? Here is an image that is sized to 650 wide (click on it to see full size):

AstroFlight4535.png

Here's a rear-view showing the integral centrifugal fan that pulls air through the air-gap and flings it outward.

That fan is directly copied from the famous (and about 5-7 years old) Plettenberg Bigmaxximum... I would rather buy three CC HV160's and three Turnigy 80-100's for one-fourth of the price and still have a lot of more power! :lol:

the price is crazy

Yeah, $4,500.00 for the motor and controller doesn't get me enthused.

I think $3,000.00 for the two would be more reasonable, but I guess they need
to recoup their development sooner than later.

spinningmagnets said:
Ahhgh! You beat me to it. Standard shaft is 10mm diameter, but 12mm is available on request. What is the diameter and length? and what is the kV? Here is an image that is sized to 650 wide (click on it to see full size):

View attachment 1

Here's a rear-view showing the integral centrifugal fan that pulls air through the air-gap and flings it outward.

the shaft is half inch hardened stainless. Astro is working on possibly getting one of these into my grubby hands to test.

Matt

I would love to use two of these on an ultralight single passenger car that I have been designing. It is a front wheel drive reverse-trike single cockpit roadster. It is similar to a Morgan but slightly longer.
It only weighs 800lbs., ready to drive.
Two of these motors should give it a 70mph cruise with a 70 mile range.
The motor efficiency and lightweight features are remarkable.
Maybe their prices will drop once they realize that it is too much to bear.

There is a lot of competition out there.... I found this link while googling Plettenberg http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... &t=1464696
I've got drive train issues to sort out at 2700 watts but here's a 7000 plus watt RC type motor for $279 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXXJW6&P=0
just too many choices... and so little time...

but here's a 7000 plus watt RC type motor for $279

Be very wary of hobby ratings on motors used in traction applications...
interesting in that motor shares nearly the exact same dimension as the 80/85 manufactured by the million power model group....(& i'll wager $50 it shares the same stator)Ive never seen it marketed at those hopelessly optomistic power levels....
http://skyhobby.en.alibaba.com/product/622106390-214303151/C8085_KV180_outrunner_brushless_motor_for_airplane.html

its only comparable to the Astro 3210.....& that is only rated at 2kw continuous.

I have spoken with Astro Flight engineers at length about this motor and controller and here is the data I received;

The controller uses four huge FETs that are rated at 200 amps each. It does not have any internal amp limiting. So, it is not a 150 amp controller (100 volt). It is capable of FAR higher output. 400 amps under acceleration is no problem. The 150 amp rating is for 10 minutes continuous. Also, they are using some proprietary startup programming that allows solid starts without sensors. I have not tested one yet, but this is what they tell me.

This looks to be a 40,000 watt burst, 15,000 watts continuous system. Expensive, yes......

I should have my motor and controller from them sometime in February.

Matt

Hi,

speedmd said:
Looks very nice. 4535 is Seven inches wide. Too wide to mount near a crank unfortunately. Hopefully some more compact models this diameter are coming.

Already available:
http://www.astroflight.com/motors/brushless-motors/4535.html
astroflight.com said:
CUSTOM OPTIONS FOR THE 4535:

Shaft Diameter
The standard 4535 shaft is 1/2" in diameter. We also offer a 12mm version.

Shaft Length
The standard 4535 has 2" of shaft protruding from the front face and flush on the back. Customers may specify the amount of shaft length protruding from both sides of the motor.

Case Hardened Shaft
The standard 4535 comes with a C60 Rockwell hardness shaft. For easier machining, we also offer an annealed shaft.

Temperature Sensor
An optional temperature sensor may be installed into the motor. This temperature sensor is embedded in the coil windings and has a temperature range from -40 to 300 Celsius (-40F to 572F).

Enclosed Housing
The standard 4535 housing has porting in the front and rear and has a fan ducting air through the entire system. A fully enclosed housing is available for applications in harsh environments with dust and dirt or when there is little airflow over the motor.

Custom Sizing
The 4535 can be scaled up or down to fit your application and power requirements.

The 4535's dimensions are approximately 4.5" diameter and 7" length and the motor weighs approximately 12 pounds.

The 4535 is built to order. Please contact Astro Flight to order.

Hi,

Miles said:
Nowhere near as impressive as the Plettenberg Nova 30, which is a similar weight..............
But for both motors the impressive price is the issue:
http://blog.cafefoundation.org/?p=8019
Plettenberg’s New Motors – Ready for Real Airplanes?
by Dean Sigler on 07/10/2013

Plettenberg is well known in the model airplane world for its large and powerful electric motors that pull or push giant-scale models – sometimes half the size of their real counterparts – into the air. Brian Carpenter of Rainbow Aviation is even using them on his EMG-5 and EMG-6 ultralight aircraft. Jean-Luc Soullier had two of them on an electric Cri-Cri. His forum details that adventure and subsequent projects. These Predator motors weigh a little over four pounds and can put out 15 horsepower and up to 99 pounds of thrust with the right propeller.

jean-luc-cri-cri-528x353.jpg

Going beyond their model motors, Plettenberg has bold thoughts to share about its new, bigger and less model-like units, including their 150 kilowatt Nova series motor....

“Here, the experience of the high-performance models of sport, led in recent years to win multiple world titles, contributed to the development of engines and are from the 2013 season in the e-bike racing series TTXGP feed. The NOVA 150 will be the drive to beat, because the experienced team at the world champion of 2010, 2011 and Vice World Champion 2012 racing season starts this with him chasing the title in 2013!”

Review of current racers in the TTXGP lineups do not reveal a bike with a Plettenberg on board, but that may change during the season.

The Nova 15 looks like an apt possibility for ultralight aircraft use, weighing a mere 2.5 kilograms (5.5 pounds) and putting out 15 kilowatts (20.1 horsepower) and 30 Newton-meters (22 foot-pounds) of torque at 4,900 rpm when driven by 80 Volts. Plettenberg claims 92-percent efficiency for the Nova 15.

Their Nova 30 produces 30 kW (40.2 hp) from five kilograms (11 pounds) at 120 Volts. It generates 105 Newton-meters (77.4 foot-pounds) of torque and can top out at 3,300 rpm at 93-percent efficiency.
Plettenberg-Nova_30-528x579.jpg

he 150, according to Plettenberg’s web site, seems destined to be a challenger in electric motorcycle racing, putting out a very competitive 150 kilowatts (201 hp) from 11.5 kilograms (25.3 pounds) and 250 Nm (184.4 ft.-lbs.) of torque with 95-percent efficiency. A higher-voltage unit than its smaller brethren, the 150 pulls 350 Volts at full power.

All are small for their output, compact pancakes ranging from 87 millimeters to 104.7 millimeters (3.42 to 4.125 inches) in thickness and from 124 mm to 310 mm (4.875 to 12.20 inches) in diameter.

Finding most commercially-available units too big and heavy for its purposes, Plettenberg teamed with MST to develop two motor controllers that would match their “self-imposed standards of quality and optimization,” epitomized by their motors

The smaller MST 140-200 controller weighs 1.3 kg. (2.86 pounds) and can handle continuous outputs of 30 kW and a peak power of 40 kW. Its “big brother,” the MST 400-400 weighs a bit more, 2.9 kg. (6.38 pounds) and can manage a continuous output of 120 kW and a peak power of 160 kW. It is equipped with an integrated water cooling.

These are high-end motors compared to their model counterparts, the 15 kW model costing over $3,000 at current rates of exchange, with bigger motors probably proportionally more. As such, they will probably find a market for applications where light weight and power are more important than cost. In the aviation market, these are not “high-end” at all compared to other powerplants available.

recumpence said:
What has that motor got to do with this thread?

Matt

Not sure who this particular barb was aimed at but I suspect it was me. I've spent the last couple of years messing with quad copters and arduino related stuff. I use a copter control board that was designed by a gifted dude that also designed ESC's that were specific to copters. But he was also highly opinionated and a real asshole at times. I had hoped I had left that behind me. Didnt know you were so thin skinned about your beloved Astro motors.

For me it is about the most grins per dollar.... and the question was in response to a motor referred to by Thud which was in response to a previous post by me. Sorry to have gone there.... want happen again.

yawstick said:
recumpence said:
What has that motor got to do with this thread?

Matt

Not sure who this particular barb was aimed at but I suspect it was me. I've spent the last couple of years messing with quad copters and arduino related stuff. I use a copter control board that was designed by a gifted dude that also designed ESC's that were specific to copters. But he was also highly opinionated and a real asshole at times. I had hoped I had left that behind me. Didnt know you were so thin skinned about your beloved Astro motors.

For me it is about the most grins per dollar.... and the question was in response to a motor referred to by Thud which was in response to a previous post by me. Sorry to have gone there.... want happen again.

Hmm, it was not a barb, but a legitimate question.

I just find it odd that these threads regarding any motor (not just Astros) get hijacked almost immediately with posts about that motor.

Matt

Actually I am a Plettenberg guy. However, Astros are less costly for the size range we use, are customizeable, and more efficient. Gary Goodrum turned me onto Astro motors a few years back. They are costly, but very well made and they are a great company to deal with.

Matt

Back