BIG BLOCK alternative Motor

nutspecial said:
I bet you're right and the pricing might be good depending on final details.

But please forgive my inexperience, is it common or even possible these alibaba suppliers deal with orders of one or two? It always says "50pc minimum", although I'm aware they also do 'sample' sometimes.

they will, you just tell them you need a sample. I chatted with the rep late at night and he tried to get my questions answerered and got the performance chart from the engineer for me, etc.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12v-dc-motor-electric-car-motor_60159123124.html

This lists ALOT of variations, though I don't see claimed anywhere near 1kw and the 115mm length of bht. Unless of course their 'length' is actually diameter but I doubt that.

The cnyn150ws220-300 looks pretty promisingly powerful for a wider pedal tread or footpegs, but without even projected weights included for all it's hard to make comparisons between those motors and with bht or bigblock. I don't see why they don't have that and the diameter or height/width listed in the spreadsheet. There is a drastic difference in length among the variations. If I ever contact them for the info I'll post up what I find.

Thanks for the further input B!

Pic from BHT bikes I forgot to post from last year.
IMG_1074.PNG

nutspecial said:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/12v-dc-motor-electric-car-motor_60159123124.html

This lists ALOT of variations, though I don't see claimed anywhere near 1kw and the 115mm length of bht. Unless of course their 'length' is actually diameter but I doubt that.

The cnyn150ws220-300 looks pretty promisingly powerful for a wider pedal tread or footpegs, but without even projected weights included for all it's hard to make comparisons between those motors and with bht or bigblock. I don't see why they don't have that and the diameter or height/width listed in the spreadsheet. There is a drastic difference in length among the variations. If I ever contact them for the info I'll post up what I find.

Thanks for the further input B!

I got a message from the rep asking if I had any feedback. Let me know if you want any details on any of the other variations. I can ask for diameter/length/weight for specific models, etc.

Cool, thanks!

For comparison/competition with bht, I would tell them we're interested in further details of highest power capable dc brushless sensored motors under 115mm in length, 155mm and over in diameter, and over 4.5kg in weight.

When doing a higher power build (than bht), I would consider more flexibility in length and diameter.

I would also ask if they have done water jackets for any applications of their motors. . . Water cooling is likely 'where it's at' to achieve the most performance from these semi-sealed in-runners.

upek said:
Anyone tested BHT big block with Adaptto controller?
It is pretty similar to geared hub so it should work, but I would like to be sure :)
Unlike my revolt the bht worked well with my mini-e but would recommend the mid or max.

I am also running the BHT with the Adaptto Mini-E. My battery is a LiFePo4 of 52V and I can max out the current settings without fear of overheating the motor or the controller, except if I hold the throttle wide open for a long time at high speed.
It works relatively well but the starts are always somewhat sudden, even if you open the throttle very slowly. The Adaptto hasn't been made for mid-drives, obviously.
Of course, it can be programmed to automatically slow the rate of increase of current, or the rate of increase of RPM, but then you're stuck with the delay when you NEED instant acceleration. I ride very rough terrain and exact control of the throttle IS VERY important.

The BHT is not silent with the Adaptto, but it's not bad. It would also be better with 60 Volts than 52V.
I'm pretty sure that the BHTs that have been available for sale were production rejects. Mine was FULL of steel shavings, making a racket when I turned the shaft, so I had to dissassemble it to clean it up. I also changed the output bearing because it was rough (read: Chinese cheapest).

When I contacted the seller a few months ago, he told me that he had no idea when the motors would be back in stock.

upek said:
Thanks for quick reply.
Unlike my revolt the bht worked well with my mini-e but would recommend the mid or max.
Why not mini-e? Controller is getting hot or BHT can handle more peak power?
The mini-e was reaching temp limits and reducing power when having fun on 20S. Motor temp wasn't an issue so I'd suggest the midi would be a good match.

Good to know. I'm planning 20s too. So it can take more than 60A battery/150A phase, thats good :D

BHT has only 6 poles not 23 like typical hub, this makes it harder to drive. Thick laminations are increasing cogging too. Motor noise is not a problem for me - chain will be louder anyway. Mine was little dirty too, but nothing bad. This is just cheap motor but works for us :) I though that Revolt may be upgrade over BHT but it is definitely not perfect.

On my junk test bike I have done 1000km with 2 cheap chinese controllers. Without throttle tamer bike was barely controllable (at 14s 45A, 45kph top speed), with tamer was OK, but still far from perfect. These controllers are working significantly better with 9c. My bike will be used for offroad like Altair, so precise control is important.

Hello guys.

I have small Kelys sine controller and Lmx motor. On low throtle motor makes sound but not rotating. Is this usuall behaviour? Here is video https://youtu.be/1Wj3wrn_Tgg

Also on higher speed it is not rotating smooth, not sure if bearings or wrong phase controll. I did auto allign of hall sensord.

Thanks for any idea.

btw gng have started selling their motors as standalone
http://www.gngebike.com/belt-chain-motor

emaayan said:
btw gng have started selling their motors as standalone
http://www.gngebike.com/belt-chain-motor

looks to be the 'small block' however... shame the price would be good for a big block.

Cyclone 1800w-3000w or 1920w-3000w geared motor is good alternative to big block.
They claim 50Nm/100Nm for 1800w-3000w and even more for 1920w-3000w. Price is almost the same for all these 40A motors. These Nm is unbelievable high therefore hard to believe, but that's what they claim.
Advantage might be that geared cyclone motor has less RMP 900RPM and even 1200RPM if overvolted and you can make it as mid drive without front sprockets with regular 11-40 teeth sprockets on the wheel.

Just to note that I never had or heard cyclone motor.
Neverhteless I know that current motor version is with plastic gears. I doubt that is might has more noise than bht. Gears are plastic compared with gear reduction with chain and sprocket on bht motors.

The gear ratio of the Cyclone is probably close to 4:1, so the motor itself turns 4 times faster than the BHT, for the same output RPM. With low precision gears, it can easily be very noisy.
And with the Cyclone, you still need a chain drive to the rear wheel...

Both motors has the same speed. With 72 around 4500rpms.
Expect Cyclone has internal gearing and BHT needs external one.
Don't claim that cyclone has low quality gears unless you know it.

I just recently bought Cyclone 3000W 3-speed kit.
Here's video of it running, along with spare gears for reference. As far I can remember, the reduction was either 5:1 or 6:1. IMHO the noise is not that bad.
[youtube]Bhg-XRGj_ns[/youtube]

i only the cyclone wasn't that thick, i'm considering to try and build a similar reduction to the gng motor cause i recently found these guys providing carbon steel gears.

they even provided with a table for composing planetary gears, http://khkgears.net/pdf/si.pdf , so i thought i would go for 6:1 ratio, with an inner ring gear of 130 OD, that would just be attached on top of outer cover, problem is i don't know if it would hold the load.

Thanks minimum,

Your video doesn't seem to work. Could you please try to see what the problem might be.
I would really like to see it.

Thanks

I have no clue what might be the problem. According to stats, few more people have seen the video, beside me.
Anyway I hope to have enough time tomorrow to disassemble the kit and take photos.

Back